Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid heating system sucks!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had underpowered heat pump central heating in a rental and during cold weather - only around 5'C, nothing really Arctic - the thing stopped working because of heat the exchanger freezing up. It would do an automatic unfreeze cycle but for half an hour or so would just blow cold air in, if anything.

This. Similar to what I mentioned earlier in this thread:

A heat pump can only efficiently work up to a certain temperature and then it needs a backup/auxiliary system in place to complement it. Most home heat pumps have a defrost cycle that runs to clear ice from the heat exchanger as well as a resistive backup unit in case the heat pump fails or if the system cannot produce enough heat due to low temps.

Also this (apologies if already posted here - I didn't see it):

If a component necessary to the defrost cycle is freezing up and failing, there is no way the heat pump can produce any heat in subfreezing temperatures.

Reactions: Maxpilot
This. Similar to what I mentioned earlier in this thread:

A heat pump can only efficiently work up to a certain temperature and then it needs a backup/auxiliary system in place to complement it. Most home heat pumps have a defrost cycle that runs to clear ice from the heat exchanger as well as a resistive backup unit in case the heat pump fails or if the system cannot produce enough heat due to low temps.

Also this (apologies if already posted here - I didn't see it):

If a component necessary to the defrost cycle is freezing up and failing, there is no way the heat pump can produce any heat in subfreezing temperatures.
They didnt mention the Model S. Does this apply?

Has anyone found a solution for the cold footwells? I'm debating pulling the door apart and adding some insulation.
Have you validated that it's not the car pumping cold air into the footwells?

For example, turn all HVAC and blowers off. Does cold air still occur?

When I tried this (in California conditions, mind you), I didn't get cold air. But it was not a long test.

My 2021 Model S Refresh heats really well; the only issue is that there is a huge leap in air flow from fan speed 3 to 4. It goes from 3 nice flow you can feel just right and quiet, to 4 moderately strong blow and audible. Very non-linear along the 1-10 speeds. Hard to quantify but basically 4 feels like what 6 should be. If the car interior is really cold (which is rare) and I forget to warm it up before I get in, I'll run the car at 4 or 5 for a few minutes and then start sweating, and then turn it down to 2 or 3.

I did have an issue this past end of summer with my AC, which threw out cold air sporadically, sometimes room temp, and sometimes warm. Tesla fixed that along with 6 or so other items all at once (door seal coming undone, driver seat a bit loose on mounting rails, pop-out door handles getting stuck in the out-position, etc.) and since those all frustrations were remedied, and I no longer need to deal with what Tesla calls customer service, I am now very happy with the car. Also, i search online for self-help remedies for really basic stuff, and that has been a big help; for example, fixing a rattling rear passenger seat by putting electric tape around the metal of the latch (you can't see the latch unless the seat is down, and it's black tape applied carefully / evenly on a black latch so you really have to look for it to notice it).

Reactions: Big Earl
Hi everyone, I'd like to revisit this post after a whole warm season has come and gone.
2021 Palladium Model S: heating works fine in the sense that if I crank up the heat, I can feel it. Heated seats work. Heated yoke works. With all of this working, I'll set the temperature on Auto to 22 Celsius (~72 F). At 50 mph, -5 Celsius outside, I've got warm hands, and a warm back. But a cold left leg. From my left ankle to my left knee, it's just one cold surface. The speaker area is cold too (driver side). The whole plastic zone left of my left leg, is also cold. I can feel a faint draft.
@GassyBabyBlue , @PatP , @properly1 , @Midnightsun , @jaguar36 , have any of you had success with a service center appointment? I am secretly hoping that this thread has gone quiet because all of you are now happily and cozily warm...
... or you bought a warm car? :(

Hi everyone, I'd like to revisit this post after a whole warm season has come and gone.
2021 Palladium Model S: heating works fine in the sense that if I crank up the heat, I can feel it. Heated seats work. Heated yoke works. With all of this working, I'll set the temperature on Auto to 22 Celsius (~72 F). At 50 mph, -5 Celsius outside, I've got warm hands, and a warm back. But a cold left leg. From my left ankle to my left knee, it's just one cold surface. The speaker area is cold too (driver side). The whole plastic zone left of my left leg, is also cold. I can feel a faint draft.
@GassyBabyBlue , @PatP , @properly1 , @Midnightsun , @jaguar36 , have any of you had success with a service center appointment? I am secretly hoping that this thread has gone quiet because all of you are now happily and cozily warm...
I suspect you have a leak. There was lots of QA problems around that area. Usual symptom being noise. I’d try and have service check it.

My non plaid Refresh is fine, for reference.

The 2016 was the original refresh with major changes, such as 7 new cameras, an AP processor, a new front end, and many other changes.

The 2019 brought us the "Raven" which included a number of additional changes such as a bigger battery and suspension changes.

I agree the 2021 LR/Plaid is not really a refresh as it is almost an entirely new design. Entirely new interior, new processors, new suspension, new motors, new electrical system, new heat pump, new HVAC, new battery system (although still with 18650 cells), and quite a few subtle body panel changes. It does look similar to Raven, but I see it as far more than a refresh. Most car companies consider a front grill change a refresh, and the LR/Plaid is so much more than it's predecessors.

The 2016 was the original refresh with major changes, such as 7 new cameras, an AP processor, a new front end, and many other changes.

The 2019 brought us the "Raven" which included a number of additional changes such as a bigger battery and suspension changes.

I agree the 2021 LR/Plaid is not really a refresh as it is almost an entirely new design. Entirely new interior, new processors, new suspension, new motors, new electrical system, new heat pump, new HVAC, new battery system (although still with 18650 cells), and quite a few subtle body panel changes. It does look similar to Raven, but I see it as far more than a refresh. Most car companies consider a front grill change a refresh, and the LR/Plaid is so much more than it's predecessors.
Model S > Refresh > Raven > Palladium

IMHO those are the easiest designators so people know what version is being talked about.

I can't find it offhand, but there is a post about a misplaced or detached bit of insulation that could cause this. If you are looking at the passenger side of the car, look at the quarter panel in front of the door. Underneath that there is a triangular area accessed through the wheel well after removing the liner. It's just bit of foam that supposed to be bonded to the metal. Some state the insulation block comes loose, but is trapped by the wheel well liner well enough to not bounce around.

When that happens air can rush around it and cool the outer side of the area around your leg. It can also allow for some extra ingress of air, but it appears to be more just cooling the metal than actually making its way in.

My old 2013 S always had issues with the foot well though. Tesla only included one single temperature sensor for the interior, so if it was 70 in that one spot, it was 70 everywhere. Only really became an issue on longer drives as the temperatures diverged through not enough air movement in the car. Not sure about the palladium and what it uses.

On one cool day recently, I felt around the left side of my 2022 S. No air was coming in and the carpet was not cold, but I did notice the metal sill plate was quite cold. Perhaps that is responsible for some owners getting a colder feel from that side? Not sure what a fix might be for that. Both feet feel about the same, and I've not noticed any cold air flowing in from the firewall while driving.

In my prior S (a 2016 refresh) the floor air would be mostly directed to the left and my right foot would get cold. I used a thermal camera to access the airflow issue and made a redirection fix to even the airflow. Here are those details: Foot Warmer – TeslaTap

Tesla's airflow design was different and not a problem for me on my original 2013 S, nor a problem (for me) on the current 2022 S.

Reactions: mswlogo
I’ve had 3 Tesla’s and heating them is the weakest aspect and biggest drawback of the car. It will never feel like an ice heater to me.
And nor should it. An ICE vehicle wastes about 75% of the energy take from gasoline into heat. An EV only loses about 5% of the energy it draws from the battery into heat. So it’s a LOT easier to get heat out of an ICE vehicle than an EV.

Reactions: tesluv108
And nor should it. An ICE vehicle wastes about 75% of the energy take from gasoline into heat. An EV only loses about 5% of the energy it draws from the battery into heat. So it’s a LOT easier to get heat out of an ICE vehicle than an EV.
With the caveat that you have to let it warm up for 10 to 15 minutes every time you drive before it even begins heating. This is far more inconvenient & wasteful than most ICE owners realize.

Reactions: bhzmark
Was hoping this bump in post was because someone found the solution to this, but looks like heading into another cold winter this season with possibly the worst heating system in a vehicle i have ever owned (even worse than my old 2018 Nissan Leaf SL).

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02