Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid heating system sucks!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those having issues with heating, Model Y owners are experiencing similar issues (my wife owns a Model Y and we had issues this weekd-end).

Also, there's supposedly a software issue that's been investigated that make the heat pump not work correctly in very climates. Read the various comments of this article below - very interesting stories.

Last edited:
Heating tips:

1) anticipate 10 minutes before you will be entering an otherwise cold car -- when finding your shoes in your house, when paying the bill at a restaurant, when logging off your computer at work -- and then preheat the car, including seat and yoke heat. Your passengers will love you (if they don't already, or if they are having doubts about you) for doing so.

2) When you are driving set to 70 and everything to Auto -- the main HVAC and the seats also.

Works perfect for me.

My only complaint is that the front vents could be a little quieter.

Reactions: Big Earl
Has anyone noticed on the 2021 Refresh Model S, that when you set the temp between 68 to 70 and have it on auto, that the fan speed is always the same, which is at 5? I canā€™t figure out why it does not adjust it downward, as 5 is kind of noisy. Just making sure it Is something that I am not doing wrong.

Reactions: bhzmark
Took my new refreshed model S up to Michigan for NYE and drove back yesterday during some inclement cold weather and I'm pretty disappointed with the heating system. My wife and I both felt that there was a draft coming from our doors, the side of our leg next to the respective door was much colder than any other part of our bodies leading to us sticking our jackets between the door and our legs to cut down on the cold air coming in... this is unacceptable for a 100k car. I've NEVER had the heat up to anything like 74/75 and we felt the need to blast it that much on the drive back. I was cruising at 90mph while on clear road and seems the higher speed had an effect on the amount of cold air coming into the car. It was only 29 degrees out, so wasn't in single digits or anything. I've got a service appointment for some panel gaps and will have them address this as well.

Does anyone else feel that there is a draft by their door well? What a disappointment... didn't have this in my old model 3 or my wife's model Y

Took my new refreshed model S up to Michigan for NYE and drove back yesterday during some inclement cold weather and I'm pretty disappointed with the heating system. My wife and I both felt that there was a draft coming from our doors, the side of our leg next to the respective door was much colder than any other part of our bodies leading to us sticking our jackets between the door and our legs to cut down on the cold air coming in... this is unacceptable for a 100k car. I've NEVER had the heat up to anything like 74/75 and we felt the need to blast it that much on the drive back. I was cruising at 90mph while on clear road and seems the higher speed had an effect on the amount of cold air coming into the car. It was only 29 degrees out, so wasn't in single digits or anything. I've got a service appointment for some panel gaps and will have them address this as well.

Does anyone else feel that there is a draft by their door well? What a disappointment... didn't have this in my old model 3 or my wife's model Y
Experienced similar driving from Cle to Toledo on NYE. My wife actually put her gloves on. We were not going 90, but around 80. I know people say to use heated seats instead of turning temps up, but canā€™t be freezing the whole time either. And like I said above, even at temps 68 to 70 fan is always running at 5 speed.

Reactions: GassyBabyBlue
Experienced similar driving from Cle to Toledo on NYE. My wife actually put her gloves on. We were not going 90, but around 80. I know people say to use heated seats instead of turning temps up, but canā€™t be freezing the whole time either. And like I said above, even at temps 68 to 70 fan is always running at 5 speed.
I made a service appointment for this issue. I'm hoping that there was something missing from the insulation on the door. It'd be pretty disappointing to find out this is just how they are all built. Certainly wasn't expecting to have a sub-par winter experience coming from a model 3.

Reactions: PatP

Yes, exactly. There's always like a draft of cold air going on your legs. Only happens on my Model S not in my wife Model Y... Please keep us posted on your appointement. It was -19C (-2F) today.... So far disapointed by my Model S performance in the cold compared to Model 3/Y....

Heating tips:

1) anticipate 10 minutes before you will be entering an otherwise cold car -- when finding your shoes in your house, when paying the bill at a restaurant, when logging off your computer at work -- and then preheat the car, including seat and yoke heat. Your passengers will love you (if they don't already, or if they are having doubts about you) for doing so.

2) When you are driving set to 70 and everything to Auto -- the main HVAC and the seats also.

Works perfect for me.

My only complaint is that the front vents could be a little quieter.

I preheat all the time. It helps, but there's still something wrong. There's always some cold drafts coming on our legs. Only does this on my Model S - Model Y is fine in the cold.

@Brake late - I see you're located in Baltimore, so likely getting relatively cold, plus you just joined this forum. That might suggest this could be your first Tesla. If so, a couple things I've learned from 5.5 years in my mid-2016 MS90D including driving in some colder midwest climates and long range trips including dodging blizzard through NY, PA, on into DC area in March 2017.

Use the app to turn on the heat inside the car for about 5 or 10 minutes before you go to depart.
In cold weather, I make sure that AC is turned off. I find my MS90D wants to have AC on for dehumidification in cases where I don't really need it. This tends to make the air out of the vents not feel as hot as you may be accustomed to with an ICE vehicle.
Learn to use the seat heaters, even if on low. That's much more energy effective plus I find helps put warmth into my body core better.

Now the one thing where I've always felt my MS suffered was the ducting of heat to the driver footwell. That is weak and I typically end up feeling my feet being cold. I do not have any experience with the newer Model S setup to know if they've improved that. I would hope so, but just no first hand experience.

Just my quick thoughts on what might help.
that's funny...my 2020 MS heats fine if I keep it in auto with AC on.....Fires right up....I am warn in the car within 2 minutes.....warm/hot air in 30 seconds.....If I turn AC off and run thermostat up, it take a long time to get warm....

I made a service appointment for this issue. I'm hoping that there was something missing from the insulation on the door. It'd be pretty disappointing to find out this is just how they are all built. Certainly wasn't expecting to have a sub-par winter experience coming from a model 3.
Any updates from service? I noticed this on my way back from delivery. Kind of disappointing, my legs were super cold the entire drive back.

The heating system is really is powerful and hot however the cool door draft thing is really an issue on highways at greater speed. Just seems like they forgot to put some insulation in the front doors. Have no clue what is going on in the back as nobody is ever there.

So in Ontario, we have hit some pretty cold temps down to - 13 degrees F. Our 21 Model S LR (yoke) is horrible heating system. Its funny, its very simlar to the 2018 Nissan Leaf SL i had which had a heat pump as well. The air is not HOT, but warm (sometimes cold). I noticed if you put it on RECIRC, it does start to blow hotter. Whats worse is that even at fan speed 10, the air volume is no wear near any ICE car i had, and the whole ventless system to me is a pure gimmick.

To further add, i agree, there is a LOT of cold air coming in from the doors (drafty). For the price i paid for this car, this is is unbelievable discomfrot for winter driving. Not to mention anything with a fan speed greater than 4 is insanely noise inside, as well as the soudn it makes outside (louder than my F150 idling for crying out loud)

Compared to my 21 F150, my F150 feels a lot more comfortable. In the Tesla, i have to keep the HVAC cranked to keep warm (this is with the seats and steeringwhell heater on). In the F150, i can make the interior like a sauna in little to no time where we sometimes have to turn the damn thing off because its too hot!

I hope my Model S is just defective, becasue these stated work arounds are a bit rediculous. If i set my HVAC to MAX with max fan speed, i should get MAXIMUM heat. i shouldnt have to hit AUTO, set the fan speed up or down, or set the temp at some degree to get max heat.

I will be booking a service appointment for the recall, fit and finish, door handles getting stuck and this heating problem. I hope this is just defective and not the way the car is designed because it is by far the WORST HVAC system i have ever seen. Gladly trade the Hepa filter nonsense for some decent heat.

I have Model 3 and noticed that if I keep leg next to door, thatā€™s colder than if I keep legs straight.

I think that they have messed up HVAC with these updates to fix heatpump issue.

Reactions: GassyBabyBlue
We had underpowered heat pump central heating in a rental and during cold weather - only around 5'C, nothing really Arctic - the thing stopped working because of heat the exchanger freezing up. It would do an automatic unfreeze cycle but for half an hour or so would just blow cold air in, if anything.