Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Lease Question (technical)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Plaid with 12k miles. Has FSD and enrolled in beta and all options. I paid 137k and the same vehicle now is in the 150k’s.

My Plaid is a lease. I’ve paid on it a year and I owe 112k. I was offered from a Ford dealership today 128k to buy it. I had the rear qtr panel replaced because of a small accident that couldn’t be repaired and I’d rather dump it and get a brand new one. I have 2 years left on lease. I signed my lease when buyouts were allowed (no longer allowed after April 15, 2022) so I can sell it, but the dealership implied Tesla makes this very difficult. The check can’t come from the dealership, has to come from me and the title sent to me. The dealership claims that the profit I’d make from this deal would basically be eaten up because tax, title and fees (California) wools suddenly become due and are roughly 10% of vehicle value.

Has anyone had any experience trading in or selling a Tesla that was an active lease?

Well, the dealer could be right. CA sales taxes (and fees, etc.) will apply to the new car that you buy. According to the internet, CA has a 7.5% sales tax. On a 150 K car that would be $11,250. Add in some fees and other costs, and most of your "profit" (I would not call this a true profit, but 128-112 = 16 K) is used up. On the other hand, you could see it as getting you into a new Tesla more or less for free....

I agree with you. When I bought my Plaid, I was one of the first ones to order, and I got mine with every option and fully loaded for 137K. The same car today is 157k I believe with price increases to the car and FSD. But I think you are right in the sense that I can get out of this one with a clean break and get into a brand new one with zero wait time. I’m already in Northern California and I looked online and Tesla has about 10 brand new Plaid‘s available in the Bay Area for pick up immediately. They also have several that fit my exact wants. Maybe that’s what I do.