Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid leaves me stranded; almost 30 days in service - No lemon law. What now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to update this thread: As of today (yes over a month later since this service visit started), I am still left without any material updates as to what they theorize the root cause to be. They have shared that engineers have been working on the car both remotely as well as in the service center and that people have flown in from California to assist in the diagnosis. The net result of this thus far has been continued weekly promises to the tune of "we think it could be a variety of things, and are still working on a diagnosis, and when we have updates, we will provide them"-- yet no diagnosis or any attempt at explaining the technical dilemma(s) that they theorize to have caused the issue. I stop by every week in person for an attempted update usually to just get the runaround and continue to wait.

They have told me they are not buying the car back 'as it was purchased used' however the new car warranty does entitle the vehicle owner to a "timely repair". However, the warranty booklet is vague as it doesn't give a timeline or any quantifiable metric to open a dispute for a time period being exceeded. The shop is packed, but it sorta feels like my repair could be sidelined a bit by cars that are more pressing to complete (aka: a car that was purchased new that has X time until they legally have to repurchase it).

So here I am-- 30+ days now since this "visit" started with no end in sight, no support, no goodwill consideration, no idea of what diagnosis is being performed, no way to escalate, and no real timeline for any idea of completion as the diagnosis still remains open-ended. At this point, I feel like I'm living out a live rendition of the Theatre of the Absurd-- or a sick version of Groundhog day.

But this can't be normal? At this point, am I stupid not to lawyer up? Or where can I go from here? I would sell the thing (as I planned to in my original post) but I can't even get Tesla to buy/appraise it while being serviced.

Maybe I can get a couple of Manchester United tix now that funding is secured? 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️

I feel for ya...but when I saw that a 2016 MS is "a dog" I lost it...🤣
LOL!! I don't know what's worse-- the 85 MPH limit on an all-highway commute -- or the (I kid you not) maybe 125 miles of range that car presently has on a full charge. The 5 figure body shop repair bill in the glovebox is also a nice touch, ha. I wouldn't give this to the USPS to use in their fleet! 🤣

If I can't laugh at this point.... I don't know what I'd do!

Reactions: AMPd
LOL!! I don't know what's worse-- the 85 MPH limit on an all-highway commute -- or the (I kid you not) maybe 125 miles of range that car presently has on a full charge. The 5 figure body shop repair bill in the glovebox is also a nice touch, ha. I wouldn't give this to the USPS to use in their fleet! 🤣

If I can't laugh at this point.... I don't know what I'd do!
Donate it to Sandy Munro.

But this can't be normal? At this point, am I stupid not to lawyer up? Or where can I go from here? I would sell the thing (as I planned to in my original post) but I can't even get Tesla to buy/appraise it while being serviced.

Completely normal IMO. A little research before purchasing would have paid you dividends in terms of expectations from Tesla service.

Just to update this thread: As of today (yes over a month later since this service visit started), I am still left without any material updates as to what they theorize the root cause to be. They have shared that engineers have been working on the car both remotely as well as in the service center and that people have flown in from California to assist in the diagnosis. The net result of this thus far has been continued weekly promises to the tune of "we think it could be a variety of things, and are still working on a diagnosis, and when we have updates, we will provide them"-- yet no diagnosis or any attempt at explaining the technical dilemma(s) that they theorize to have caused the issue. I stop by every week in person for an attempted update usually to just get the runaround and continue to wait.

They have told me they are not buying the car back 'as it was purchased used' however the new car warranty does entitle the vehicle owner to a "timely repair". However, the warranty booklet is vague as it doesn't give a timeline or any quantifiable metric to open a dispute for a time period being exceeded. The shop is packed, but it sorta feels like my repair could be sidelined a bit by cars that are more pressing to complete (aka: a car that was purchased new that has X time until they legally have to repurchase it).

So here I am-- 30+ days now since this "visit" started with no end in sight, no support, no goodwill consideration, no idea of what diagnosis is being performed, no way to escalate, and no real timeline for any idea of completion as the diagnosis still remains open-ended. At this point, I feel like I'm living out a live rendition of the Theatre of the Absurd-- or a sick version of Groundhog day.

Maybe I can get a couple of Manchester United tix now that funding is secured? 🙄🤦🏻‍♂️
Grossly UNSAT customer service.

I too feel that your car is the last one worked on at your service center as they know there's no "clock" ticking in the background for a possible lemon law claim. (Yes, I think they're learning about Lemon Laws the hard way at Tesla, which is another example of how Tesla Customer Service has fallen off the rails.)

All this, however, remains UNSAT and your case, while very, very rare (as far as we know), still pains all of us that know of the formerly outstanding Tesla Customer Service from the 2013-2014 era.

So a plan to get this corrected, FWIW, and this is all just a shot in the dark:

1. You have overpaid your Tesla dues; it's time to raise the stakes. Surely you have lawyer friends? Get a recommendation for an effective lawyer with expertise in matters like this. Have one draft a polite letter to Tesla Legal stating your remarkable, sordid history, and how it greatly impacts you, your patient care, and is completely unacceptable. Send certified copies to your local service center as well.

2. Give Tesla suitable "outs" for a reasonable solution, which should include a list of the various Plaids that are in, or right near by Georgia, for a direct, no-cost swap, or for a token payment on your part (see: ev-tsla.com for a long list of new Plaids you could have within a day or two) so they can deal with their new "trade in" Plaid From Hell on their own schedule. (Perhaps they need another car to sacrifice for a crash test, or for an Extraction Training video:)

3. Make sure your attorney makes Tesla aware that you expect Tesla to treat you as you SHOULD be treated, and that any person working at Tesla should feel aghast with what has transpired. The expectation would be that they too would be at wit's end if they were in your shoes, no?

4. Give them a set timeline (another week, at most) to provide a solution, which, if you desire, should not include you getting this car back, ever.

5. Threats. Consider Plan B if Tesla is non-responsive in a timely manner: media exposure. Elon likely hates it when his army of Peter Principle middle managers makes him, and Tesla, look like friggin' idiots, which is perhaps what has happened here (if your report is accurate, of course). Frankly, my gut feel is that Tesla has grown so fast and large that there is no way he can keep tabs on what is going on any more. It feels as if the inmates are running the asylum that has become Tesla Service of late . . . ask me how I know (but don't--it's a sordid tale and there are already too damn many out there).

Oh how we all long for the Good Old Days of Tesla Service.

Please keep us posted.

Thx.

It took almost 130 days, an attorney demand letter, and 3 (yes 3) HV batteries as the first two were damaged in transit— but I do have the car back. If there’s a way you can message me your cell number I’ll give you a call and tell you what I would have done differently / see if I can be of value. Just too much to type (and some may not be relevant to your case).

It took almost 130 days, an attorney demand letter, and 3 (yes 3) HV batteries as the first two were damaged in transit— but I do have the car back. If there’s a way you can message me your cell number I’ll give you a call and tell you what I would have done differently / see if I can be of value. Just too much to type (and some may not be relevant to your case).
Hey appreciate the prompt reply! Sorry to hear that you had to go through all that. Mine just got in the shop, they're ordering DC/DC parts and ETA is about 2 weeks. I'll give Tesla a chance and give you a shout on here if things go south. Thanks for your help. Hopefully no more problems with your ride. Good luck!
PS: You can probably help me with my neck issue too while you're at it ha ha! (kidding)

THANK YOU for the update!

That is a stunning poor level of customer "service" from Tesla, and I am so very sorry you had to involve an attorney, but it appears that is/was the only thing that got some movement from Tesla? (~130 days?!? Insane. That care should have been turned into a Mobile Service car about 100 days ago. Like others I've seen . . . .)

I so wish you had had the lemon law option, and I presume a VIN history report may have revealed that this was already a lemon law buy back perhaps?