Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, you want the car to park itself because, uh, it's hard for you? I learned to park about sixty years ago. It wasn't hard then, and it isn't hard now. I wouldn't buy auto park. Of course, some people have physical issues. I apologize if that's the problem.

Most folks would do better to learn to park now so in the future, just in case they MIGHT be driving a car without auto park, folks wouldn't look at the job they did of parking and make snide remarks. I watched a female teen back her folks Model S into a charging spot and do it perfectly, and it made me proud to watch her do it. Some day her space skimmer will be ready to take off at any time because she brought it into the launch pad in reverse and parked it just right.

I wouldn't use auto park, wouldn't pay for it, and I feel sorry for folks who can't do without it.
Woah woah woah? A female teen? A female teen parked the S successfully? Are you sure it was a female? Because it’s quite clear females are incapable of parking cars successfully. I mean, does anyone here know an actual female who parked any car successfully?

In all seriousness, come on, man. This is 2021. Learn to drive? Really? What’s next? Learn to drive a manual transmission? Tesla should remove power steering and ABS?

This is about a car advertised with features it doesn’t have: AutoPark, ANC, Caraoke (maybe more).

Has anyone has the passenger door being so hard to close fixed at the service Center?

So my frunk I have to open the push the button to open it a second time for it to unlatch. Is that a software setting?
They told me to wait after 1000 miles before I return it. It’s right about there now and it’s exactly the same difficulty as it was when I picked up. It’s starting to get really annoying to remember to tell people to pull crazy hard.

It’s the weather stripping hitting the glass and pushing it away, for me, before the latch can grab the door. If I lower the window, it shuts normally.

They told me to wait after 1000 miles before I return it. It’s right about there now and it’s exactly the same difficulty as it was when I picked up. It’s starting to get really annoying to remember to tell people to pull crazy hard.

It’s the weather stripping hitting the glass and pushing it away, for me, before the latch can grab the door. If I lower the window, it shuts normally.
Yep. Same issue in lots of these S refreshes (mine included). Same goes for the vibrating driver’s side mirror at highway speed. Still boggles the mind this wasn’t caught before the car was released into mass production.

Yep. Same issue in lots of these S refreshes (mine included). Same goes for the vibrating driver’s side mirror at highway speed. Still boggles the mind this wasn’t caught before the car was released into mass production.
lets be honest, what makes you think it wasn’t caught before release…unfortunately the fix to a problem that should have been caught in the design lab or pilot assembly probably takes 12-18 months to work its way from re-engineering to test run to factory refit to production To logistics through a crowded west coast port system. Elon didn’t want to wait for the fix. Sobeit. But these deficiencies will add up and impact in predictable ways…service overload, quality reputation, eventually market share but probably not until the market has unintentionally provided Tesla time to get their quality act together.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier and aerodyne
lets be honest, what makes you think it wasn’t caught before release…unfortunately the fix to a problem that should have been caught in the design lab or pilot assembly probably takes 12-18 months to work its way from re-engineering to test run to factory refit to production To logistics through a crowded west coast port system. Elon didn’t want to wait for the fix. Sobeit. But these deficiencies will add up and impact in predictable ways…service overload, quality reputation, eventually market share but probably not until the market has unintentionally provided Tesla time to get their quality act together.
Point take. That said, it’s hard to say how long it would take Tesla to fix e.g. a model-wide issue regarding a piece of trim alignment as they don’t have the regular supply chain that other manufacturers have. I’m still bewildered by some of the issues these cars have off the line.

Reactions: Phlier and impastu
If I get my car 5 months after ordering it as is currently estimated and ANC still isn't implemented I am gonna be pissed. I sold my 3 and am upgrading to the S and this feature is 40% of why I am doing that - a smooth and quiet ride on the highway. Many software features available on older cars still are nowhere to be seen on S. Not to mention the gaming system with a PS5 worth of power that's still advertising The Witcher 3 front and center when, in reality, the most demanding game you can play in it is f'ing Fallout Shelter. Really?

If Tesla was at least a little bit professional and communicated on these issues I bet a lot of us would let it go. There is no excuse for explicitly mentioning a feature on the product page but it not being available for half a year with 0 communication about that fact. There is no "active noise cancellation coming fall 2021" or any sort of disclaimer like that anywhere. There is no "Tesla Game Store with select AAA titles coming early 2022" anywhere. People paid $130k+ for this car and have had it in their garage for months and it's still missing DLC. We can't just return the car after we get it like we can with software.

This car is like when a game developer releases an unfinished and broken game on launch only to later on patch it to make it what it should have been on day 1. Showing off Cyberpunk 2077 being playable in this car was truly poetic. Sure, the game (car) is still good and can be enjoyed for what it is, but it's not what it was supposed to be. It's not what it was PROMISED and ADVERTISED to be.

How can a company produce such an amazing product and also exude such incompetence at the same time?

ANC needs to be launched right now or we need an update on timeline for a feature that's been advertised for the entire year. I agree, also the number one feature I'm looking forward to, besides the longer range and air suspension. Ridiculous.

The list here is quite long:

How can Tesla get away with this? Must be some weasel words in the MVPA.

"Although your car has features listed on the Monroney, some of them may not be available until tomorrow"

How can a company produce such an amazing product and also exude such incompetence at the same time?
Welcome to Tesla. My opinion after being a Tesla customer for 11 years, is that Elon has a short attention span, doesn't empower the employees to make critical decisions (he is a legendary micromanager, which is why exec staff is a revolving door), and doesn't invest in back end systems (because those things aren't "cool"). I think the Tesla Bot perfectly encapsulates this. The company is struggling to roll out a new S/X, build factories, start CT production, etc. But instead of focusing on the problems and bringing resources and energy to bear, Elon thinks it's a good idea to divert resources away from Tesla's core competency to build a robot? Elon is a fantastic and visionary leader. He is absolutely the worst manager I have ever seen. He needs a trusted 2nd that can take care of the details and run the company while freeing Elon to be visionary and an evangelist. But either he isn't willing to do that or there isn't anyone willing to work for him....

The list here is quite long:

How can Tesla get away with this? Must be some weasel words in the MVPA.

"Although your car has features listed on the Monroney, some of them may not be available until tomorrow"
As I said above, you could sue. But say you win? What then? You will be prevented from buying a Tesla ever again and there aren't very good alternatives in the market. While that will change, it will still be a few years. So for someone that has decided to drive electric, your choice is to take what Tesla gives you, or stick with ICEs for a few more years.

Point take. That said, it’s hard to say how long it would take Tesla to fix e.g. a model-wide issue regarding a piece of trim alignment as they don’t have the regular supply chain that other manufacturers have. I’m still bewildered by some of the issues these cars have off the line.
Mine is already starting to show it's age (< two months in)....

Recently, I had a door handle fail, rubber door gaskets coming loose, vibration in the pedal and yoke (especially when cold, between 42-48mph). Also, now seeing that I (and other FSD enabled yokers) own a bastard car that Tesla/EM doesn't want to release yoke improvements or FSD beta to. Posted this in another thread, to see if I'm wrong in my thinking on this...

"Just curious to see if any "refreshed" MS owners received the beta FSD software? I would guess not, as it appears Tesla/Elon silently decided to exclude any refreshed cars, with its mandatory yoke, from receiving the beta FSD release -, along with all yoke improvements found in the 2021.36 release that only non-FSD yoke cars received. It appears the only thing these cars got was a "request button, via the 2021.32.22 release.

So, as of now, if you are a yoker, who paid for FSD, you not only are excluded from the yoke improvements found in 2021.36, but also the FSD beta software (assuming you had a score of 100). Looking for someone to pronounce I am wrong on this, by showing proof they either received the FSD beta, or the yoke improvements found in 2021.36 - for refreshed MSs with FSD. Anyone want to step forward? Anyone? No?"

Mine is already starting to show it's age (< two months in)....

Recently, I had a door handle fail, rubber door gaskets coming loose, vibration in the pedal and yoke (especially when cold, between 42-48mph). Also, now seeing that I (and other FSD enabled yokers) own a bastard car that Tesla/EM doesn't want to release yoke improvements or FSD beta to. Posted this in another thread, to see if I'm wrong in my thinking on this...

"Just curious to see if any "refreshed" MS owners received the beta FSD software? I would guess not, as it appears Tesla/Elon silently decided to exclude any refreshed cars, with its mandatory yoke, from receiving the beta FSD release -, along with all yoke improvements found in the 2021.36 release that only non-FSD yoke cars received. It appears the only thing these cars got was a "request button, via the 2021.32.22 release.

So, as of now, if you are a yoker, who paid for FSD, you not only are excluded from the yoke improvements found in 2021.36, but also the FSD beta software (assuming you had a score of 100). Looking for someone to pronounce I am wrong on this, by showing proof they either received the FSD beta, or the yoke improvements found in 2021.36 - for refreshed MSs with FSD. Anyone want to step forward? Anyone? No?"
Hmm, that’s not great. When I’m back in town I’d like to see your car. Perhaps can figure out what’s going on. But I agree with you this isn’t ideal at all.

Now, I did have some door seals replaced on my Model 3 as they were working loose a little after about 20 months.

Reactions: impastu
Hmm, that’s not great. When I’m back in town I’d like to see your car. Perhaps can figure out what’s going on. But I agree with you this isn’t ideal at all.

Now, I did have some door seals replaced on my Model 3 as they were working loose a little after about 20 months.
@WilliamG Appointment scheduled for Thursday, re the DOA door handle and gaskets. Will talk to the tech about the vibration (others have reported this as well), to see what history may exist.

• Informative
Yeah the ~40mph vibration is well noted. I’ve not experienced it in my own car (yet). Is this a new thing in your car or has it always been there?
@WilliamG About six days old. I recall testing the car when new, based on the posts, and reported no issue at the time. The vibration is minor, but noticeable - especially when the car is cold. Need to do some more testing, when I'm in the mood. Right now, I'm just not in the mood to drive that car for a while. Will enjoy the MYP for the next week or so. Really miss the M3+, and would give the Plaid back if I wouldn't take a bath doing so.

• Informative
@WilliamG About six days old. I recall testing the car when new, based on the posts, and reported no issue at the time. The vibration is minor, but noticeable - especially when the car is cold. Need to do some more testing, when I'm in the mood. Right now, I'm just not in the mood to drive that car for a while. Will enjoy the MYP for the next week or so. Really miss the M3+, and would give the Plaid back if I wouldn't take a bath doing so.
I hear you. For many of us it’s been a rubbish experience aside from the acceleration performance. We can do a comparison between mine and yours when I’m home.

• Informative
I hear you. For many of us it’s been a rubbish experience aside from the acceleration performance. We can do a comparison between mine and yours when I’m home.
@WilliamG If you have no vibration, felt in the yoke or go peddle, at those speeds, you're good. I know the difference as I had both no vibration for more than a month and now the beginnings of the vibration problem. No need to compare. It is as it appears to be. May look to sell the Plaid, as I'm really not enjoying as much as I thought I would (for the price). May test the market in the next week or so. Safe travels.

• Informative
@WilliamG If you have no vibration, felt in the yoke or go peddle, at those speeds, you're good. I know the difference as I had both no vibration for more than a month and now the beginnings of the vibration problem. No need to compare. It is as it appears to be. May look to sell the Plaid, as I'm really not enjoying as much as I thought I would (for the price). May test the market in the next week or so. Safe travels.
Must be the cream color seats! Seriously you were so in love the first week or two. What gives?

Reactions: Phlier
Must be the cream color seats! Seriously you were so in love the first week or two. What gives?
@impastu Was trying to stay positive. See earlier post from earlier today. More quality issues are popping up, and the whole beta FSD Plaid/LR/yoke cars exclusion for wave 1-?, which Tesla currently remains silent on… Same BS for the yoke improvements release that rolled out two weeks ago to non FSD yokes.

“The bloom is off the rose 🥀 ,” so to speak.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Phlier