Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my Plaid in for the HV battery replacement on a Monday and got it back on Thursday. The app had communicated that it would be completed by EOD Wednesday and it was. This was the only service I required.

I was told by the SA that they wanted to allow extra time since this was the first such battery replacement they had done for a refresh S.

Yeah I’d rather they get it right and take some time. They also have a few other (smaller) things they need to take care of at the same time. The doors have all been open on the car since Thursday. Dunno why.

Reactions: impastu
When I had my Tesla wall unit installed, the electrician said that I needed to have a bypass switch installed at the same time to disconnect the wall unit when my whole house 20KW generator was providing power for the house. Same for you?
Nope. I installed a separate panel for all circuits to automatically switch over to Gen power, disconnecting the main, when power is out. WCs are not fed from that panel, but rather a sub panel off of the main, which is dead until grid power is restored. Also, I install three whole house surge suppressors in each panel; Main, Gen, Tesla sub panel.

Last edited:
Nope. I installed a separate panel for all circuits to automatically switch over to Gen power, disconnecting the main, when power is out. WCs are not fed from that panel, just the main, which is dead until grid power is restored. Also, I install three whole house surge suppressors in each panel; Main, Gen, Tesla sub panel.
Different design, same effect. When your generator is running, your wall charger is not.. Same here.

Different design, same effect. When your generator is running, your wall charger is not.. Same here.
Right. Mine had a controller that automatically flips a huge relay to the power source of choice. Circuits in this panel are fed by the grid, until the controller senses a loss of grid power. Generator automatically fires up and the relay flips 10-15 seconds later to power these circuits with Generac power. When grid power is restored, the controller kills the generator and flips the relay back to grid as the power source.

Edit: Also have several UPSs for network, TV, satellite, and computers to cover the 15 seconds of down time between grid loss and Generac take over. Never miss a beat, or any part of a show.

Generac is fed by a 500 gal propane tank, so I can run more than 45 days without grid power. Longest run was eight days a few years back.

Right. Mine had a controller that automatically flips a huge relay to the power source of choice. Circuits in this panel are fed by the grid, until the controller senses a loss of grid power. Generator automatically fires up and the relay flips 10-15 seconds later to power these circuits with Generac power. When grid power is restored, the controller kills the generator and flips the relay back to grid as the power source.

Edit: Also have several UPSs for network, TV, satellite, and computers to cover the 15 seconds of down time between grid loss and Generac take over. Never miss a beat, or any part of a show.

Generac is fed by a 500 gal propane tank, so I can run more than 45 days without grid power. Longest run was eight days a few years back.
Very similar situation here in North Georgia. Have a large GeneracQuietSource hooked up to our natural gas feed and an automatic switch as well. In our case 13SQF house with 3 breaker boxes 4 A/C units and 2 Teslas...Everything is still powered and fully functional.

We were without power fore 8 days several years ago while most neighbors had to leave to visit family or hotels etc. we just sailed right through. Thank goodness my builder said "just go big and don't worry about what to power or not power" lol

Very similar situation here in North Georgia. Have a large GeneracQuietSource hooked up to our natural gas feed and an automatic switch as well. In our case 13SQF house with 3 breaker boxes 4 A/C units and 2 Teslas...Everything is still powered and fully functional.

We were without power fore 8 days several years ago while most neighbors had to leave to visit family or hotels etc. we just sailed right through. Thank goodness my builder said "just go big and don't worry about what to power or not power" lol
@boonedocks Nice! 36/48kW? Ours easily powers everything we use on a daily basis, including the 240v septic pump, and 1200 W microwave. All lights in the house are LED and the backup fossil fuel furnace (electric Heat pump normally, for heat and AC), stove and three fireplaces are propane fed. We also have a large pellet stove in the great room, in case all else fails! I love my Generac! It's going on 13 years old and never let me down!

@boonedocks Nice! 36/48kW? Ours easily powers everything we use on a daily basis, including the 240v septic pump, and 1200 W microwave. All lights in the house are LED and the backup fossil fuel furnace (electric Heat pump normally, for heat and AC), stove and three fireplaces are propane fed. We also have a large pellet stove in the great room, in case all else fails! I love my Generac! It's going on 13 years old and never let me down!
We built our home 2007-2008 so almost the same age to the date as yours. it is the 48k version as we had 115 incandescent bulbs at that time. LOL.

As soon as CREE released their LED canned lights we changed all of those out years ago too. Between the power difference and the heat produced that was a godsend.

27 SEER a/c's and 99.7 gas furnaces and custom built to my specs our utilities are less than our previous 2,100sqf builder grade house we moved from.

Fixed Monthly Utilities
Gas $65 monthly
Electricity $303 includes charging Model S and Model X. My annual miles on my S have averaged 40k miles annually 's
(Side note...I had to rent a car from May-August because I sold my S, being told by Tesla that my new one would be delivered in June which didn't happen until 9/4. My monthly gas because of driving a rental was over $400 JUST IN GASOLINE!!!!!)

We built our home 2007-2008 so almost the same age to the date as yours. it is the 48k version as we had 115 incandescent bulbs at that time. LOL.

As soon as CREE released their LED canned lights we changed all of those out years ago too. Between the power difference and the heat produced that was a godsend.

27 SEER a/c's and 99.7 gas furnaces and custom built to my specs our utilities are less than our previous 2,100sqf builder grade house we moved from.

Fixed Monthly Utilities
Gas $65 monthly
Electricity $303 includes charging Model S and Model X. My annual miles on my S have averaged 40k miles annually 's
(Side note...I had to rent a car from May-August because I sold my S, being told by Tesla that my new one would be delivered in June which didn't happen until 9/4. My monthly gas because of driving a rental was over $400 JUST IN GASOLINE!!!!!)
@boonedocks Similar story here. Electric is $.10-.11/kWh (mostly hydroelectric in WA), and a heat pump is 300% efficient (where resistance electric heat is 100%). Our electric bill for heat/AC/charging two 2021 Tesla's, and powering everything else in the house, ranges between $70 and $130/mo, with the winter months being closer to the $130 high water mark.

I think someone here did post they got a new yoke steering, uh, rectangle.

Mine is in the shop to get trunk realigned, maybe hood (frunk), passenger front door fix from not shutting without pulling a muscle, etc. etc. and one of them is the yoke, so I’ll see what they do. Also hopefully they will provide the trunk shelf and privacy trunk shelf too. I’ll let you all know how I make out.
Thanks. The Service Center said they'd replace my steering wheel, but haven't yet committed to paying for it under the warranty. Please keep me posted and I'll do the same.

annnnnnd. Back on topic.
Thanks. The Service Center said they'd replace my steering wheel, but haven't yet committed to paying for it under the warranty. Please keep me posted and I'll do the same.
The steering yoke is back ordered. They set up a mobile service appointment for November to come to the house to replace it, as a delivery issue, so it’s covered.

• Informative
Reactions: cwanja and impastu