Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So with TACC and Autosteer (but not NoA/FSD) engaged, you aren't able to instruct the system to change lanes via the turn signal stalk on AP2+? Seems like a regression in functionality there.
Correct. Tesla changed the packaging of features in early 2019, when they got rid of Enhanced AutoPilot (EAP), at least in North America.

After that change, standard AutoPilot was $3,000 and only included TACC & lane keeping (aka Autosteer). Everything else, including auto lane changing, was moved to FSD, which was priced at $5,000.

I’ll bet they did this because very few people were buying FSD, since it addded nothing on top of EAP, which was priced at $5,000 and included everything FSD does now except for stopping at traffic lights & stop signs (and Autosteer on city streets, which doesn’t exist yet outside a very limited beta).

Eventually, Tesla changed the pricing and made AP free but bumped FSD to $8,000 then $10,000.

My car went to *sugar* tonight. Driving and computer crashed. Came back up with all settings back to factory. Navigation doesn’t work, says it needs an update. No streaming, no app connection. Even on WiFi nothing works. 3rd update to my existing, and 2nd, service order. The software on these cars, and the subsequent cars themselves, are not ready for driving. Computer crashing while driving was fine for me, but a newer owner might not know what to do.

Reactions: hcdavis3
My car went to *sugar* tonight. Driving and computer crashed. Came back up with all settings back to factory. Navigation doesn’t work, says it needs an update. No streaming, no app connection. Even on WiFi nothing works. 3rd update to my existing, and 2nd, service order. The software on these cars, and the subsequent cars themselves, are not ready for driving. Computer crashing while driving was fine for me, but a newer owner might not know what to do.
This is honestly worse than the Roadster and Model 3 rollouts. You would think by now they would figure out how to do this properly.

Half-baked vehicles headed out the door with questionable fit and finish and buggy software. They don’t even have the 19” wheels available FFS.

Reactions: jebinc
This is honestly worse than the Roadster and Model 3 rollouts. You would think by now they would figure out how to do this properly.

Half-baked vehicles headed out the door with questionable fit and finish and buggy software. They don’t even have the 19” wheels available FFS.
You probably should not buy a Tesla. I expected a buggy poorly finished car. That seems to be the rep. But they seem to make good On the issues people Have found from what I have read in these forums. I have been pleasantly surprised.
I love my new car. Doctor put me on crutches for a few weeks and recommended not driving for at least 2 weeks. I said doc “I have been waiting
6 months for this car. Frigging frustrating.

Day 5 for MSLR. LOVE MY CAR !! Some good stuff so far: 👍
  • Great driving through suburbia, crowded LA streets, freeways and mountain roads so far. Not going for speed but loving having that acceleration when needed.
  • No problem programming 2 garage doors on Homelink
  • Dashcam worked with a verbal command of "Launch Dashcam Viewer." It doesn't always understand my husband's voice tho
  • I REALLY like the FSD lane changes on SoCal freeways!
  • Nerdy me --> the 9:3 hand position are my standard so yoke feels awesome, and yes easy 1-hand driving with hand on center console. Also, I don't miss the stalks at all! Having buttons on the yoke felt normal from the get go
BUT - some worries: 👎
  • Small passenger door alignment issues noted at acceptance to be fixed later
  • Trunk gap looked okay at acceptance, but slipped on Day 2. Now only closes with manual hold at the end. Not going to be able to use it until service in a few weeks (next available appointment time)
  • Today with icky message after parking in garage - "Parking brake functions degraded - Parking brake may not apply or release" and "Automatic vehicle hold disabled - Use brake pedal when stopping." I put car back on, nudged forward/backward a bit and the alerts went off. But still not happy to see that come up.
Has anyone else had error messages with brakes??
Need to know my car will stop when I need it to...

Has anyone had an issue with a very distinct rattle coming from outside or underneath the car? I have a rattle that is very obvious with the driver’s window down, but can’t really be heard with all the windows up.

It does it when hitting small bumps or larger, not on a perfectly smooth road. And sounds like it’s underneath the car or maybe in the front suspension? Does not appear to be coming from the door or window itself.

Also sounds like it’s a rattle created from small metal pieces and not plastic, and not something big or heavy, if that makes sense? But I’m unable to locate the source so far. And my local SC didn’t hear the rattle at all last time I took it in, they missed the whole part about “I only hear it when the window is down.” I think they were busy just enjoying driving my Plaid around with the windows up.. lol

Has anyone had an issue with a very distinct rattle coming from outside or underneath the car? I have a rattle that is very obvious with the driver’s window down, but can’t really be heard with all the windows up.

It does it when hitting small bumps or larger, not on a perfectly smooth road. And sounds like it’s underneath the car or maybe in the front suspension? Does not appear to be coming from the door or window itself.

Also sounds like it’s a rattle created from small metal pieces and not plastic, and not something big or heavy, if that makes sense? But I’m unable to locate the source so far. And my local SC didn’t hear the rattle at all last time I took it in, they missed the whole part about “I only hear it when the window is down.” I think they were busy just enjoying driving my Plaid around with the windows up.. lol
Why not record it?

Day 5 for MSLR. LOVE MY CAR !! Some good stuff so far: 👍
  • Great driving through suburbia, crowded LA streets, freeways and mountain roads so far. Not going for speed but loving having that acceleration when needed.
  • No problem programming 2 garage doors on Homelink
  • Dashcam worked with a verbal command of "Launch Dashcam Viewer." It doesn't always understand my husband's voice tho
  • I REALLY like the FSD lane changes on SoCal freeways!
  • Nerdy me --> the 9:3 hand position are my standard so yoke feels awesome, and yes easy 1-hand driving with hand on center console. Also, I don't miss the stalks at all! Having buttons on the yoke felt normal from the get go
BUT - some worries: 👎
  • Small passenger door alignment issues noted at acceptance to be fixed later
  • Trunk gap looked okay at acceptance, but slipped on Day 2. Now only closes with manual hold at the end. Not going to be able to use it until service in a few weeks (next available appointment time)
  • Today with icky message after parking in garage - "Parking brake functions degraded - Parking brake may not apply or release" and "Automatic vehicle hold disabled - Use brake pedal when stopping." I put car back on, nudged forward/backward a bit and the alerts went off. But still not happy to see that come up.
Has anyone else had error messages with brakes??
Need to know my car will stop when I need it to...

I just ordered a MSLR. Does it actually come with Homelink or is it a $325 extra?

Open dashcam is translated as “open - cam”

doesn’t work.

Energy app is missing.
No way to change the left and right instrument panel displays.

Weird. “Open dashcam” works on my new LR. Do you say “dashcam” as one or two words?

I have seen the issue with the user manual freezing up the screen consistently. Other issues appear minor:

-Wood trim on console edges is really rough. Replacement ordered.

-“Bubble” in drivers side door trim. SC says they’re replacing the panel.

-Lots of mirror vibration in drivers side mirror. Mobile service appointment to look at that Monday.

-Slight misalignment in trunk - drivers side seems about 1mm lower and sticks out about 1mm. Fairly hard to notice.

-As someone else mentioned, speed sensitive volume control is aggressive and there seems to be no adjustment.

I have not heard any rattles or anything yet, but now you guys are gonna make me drive around in silence tomorrow to check. :)

Agrre with @Hayseed_MS that the climate control zone functionality is clunky AF.

Have had no crashes or errors when driving, only at about 200 miles though. iPhone seems to be paired up fine, no issues with door handles.

One thing that does seem to bug me is that I can’t keep the damn high beams on half the time, the car overrides and shuts them off - but that may be a feature, not a bug.

Last edited:
New owners...what about turn signal usage without looking at the wheel. How easy to find the turn signal and choose it without looking at the wheel?

Also same for wipers. Fast and easy to find and turn on without looking at the wheel ? (Where I live we have sudden, I mean sudden hard rainfalls just crossing an intersection and sometimes auto wipers are off when you may have had the car washed last).

New owners...what about turn signal usage without looking at the wheel. How easy to find the turn signal and choose it without looking at the wheel?

Also same for wipers. Fast and easy to find and turn on without looking at the wheel ? (Where I live we have sudden, I mean sudden hard rainfalls just crossing an intersection and sometimes auto wipers are off when you may have had the car washed last).
There’s a small notch on both sides of the yoke, so your left thumb can feel the separation between the turn signals.

Fwiw I don’t have my Plaid yet, I only drove @omarsultan’s for a bit yesterday but got quickly used to it, and was able to signal without looking.

Didn’t try the windshield wipers (bone dry in Cali all summer) but same concept on the right side of the yoke.

I also didn’t try honking (something I rarely do), but that’s the only one that might take some getting used to. Though you can apparently “palm” the whole right side of the yoke, as you would the center of a normal steering wheel, and that would activate the horn.

One thing that does seem to bug me is that I can’t keep the damn high beams on half the time, the car overrides and shuts them off - but that may be a feature, not a bug.

There should be a setting to toggle auto high beams. If it’s enabled, your high beams will automatically disengage if the car thinks there are other vehicles ahead (it could also be too sensitive).

Last edited:
There’s a small notch on both sides of the yoke, so your left thumb can feel the separation between the turn signals.

Fwiw I don’t have my Plaid yet, I only drove @omarsultan’s for a bit yesterday but got quickly used to it, and was able to signal without looking.

Didn’t try the windshield wipers (bone dry in Cali all summer) but same concept on the right side of the yoke.

I also didn’t try honking (something I rarely do), but that’s the only one that might take some getting used to. Though you can apparently “palm” the whole right side of the yoke, as you would the center of a normal steering wheel, and that would activate the horn.

There should be a setting to toggle auto high beams. If it’s enabled, your high beams will automatically disengage if the car thinks there are other vehicles ahead (it could also be too sensitive).

It’s enabled, and this is on pitch black roads. My guess it’s it’s too sensitive. It seems to be reacting to my own headlights’ reflection.