Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021+ Model S and Model S Plaid Refresh Issues Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my MS Refresh LR today after about a week in the shop.

They returned the car to me dirty (dirtier than it was by far), no keys, a lightbulb in the center console storage popped out with the cable dangling, battery depleted. They put 17 miles on the car while it was in the shop. The drivers seat was reclined like somebody was napping in it. And the service rep I was able to find was a dick.

Attaching some screenshots of the issues. They say the bulk were caused by "wheel slippage" from an aggressive maneuver - but I haven't made any of those just yet. I did (already, damn) ding the rim, but low speed - surprising it would cause something like this.

I mentioned the dashboard grille dent and the douchy service tech told me I needed to take it up with my delivery rep, and that I'm essentially too late because I've "already had the car for a month" - though they had it for about a week of that time, and I didn't notice the dent at first, but have since learned others have it too.

Screenshot_20210727-221453.png
Screenshot_20210727-221453.png
Screenshot_20210727-221427.png
PXL_20210727_221902372.jpg

Ouch.. too many issues.
I picked up a three weeks back and have noticed problem with summon, no icon to view footage, records even ah him (exclude home checked), hit scrolls, tire picks up a lot of dirt...
There’s no point complaining about the no dashcam icon. It’s a known software issue and not something particular to you. The rest .. not sure what you’re saying. Yes, the new wide summer tires pick up a lot of dirt. That’s not exactly a malfunction.

They returned the car to me dirty (dirtier than it was by far), no keys, a lightbulb in the center console storage popped out with the cable dangling, battery depleted. They put 17 miles on the car while it was in the shop. The drivers seat was reclined like somebody was napping in it. And the service rep I was able to find was a dick.

Attaching some screenshots of the issues. They say the bulk were caused by "wheel slippage" from an aggressive maneuver - but I haven't made any of those just yet. I did (already, damn) ding the rim, but low speed - surprising it would cause something like this.

I mentioned the dashboard grille dent and the douchy service tech told me I needed to take it up with my delivery rep, and that I'm essentially too late because I've "already had the car for a month" - though they had it for about a week of that time, and I didn't notice the dent at first, but have since learned others have it too.

View attachment 688997View attachment 688997View attachment 688998View attachment 688999
I didn’t look hard for dash grille dents. Decided to look today because others have and found one. Seems to be an almost universal problem.

Reactions: Zaker89

View attachment 688997View attachment 688997View attachment 688998View attachment 688999
Wow. I hope you're a social media influencer. Otherwise that is the type of treatment you can expect from Tesla.

I noticed
Does anyone else feel like the new model S is extremely loud just having it on and the air on? Maybe it’s the fact the air is in because it’s hot out but regardless if I auto-start or start myself - it’s extremely loud from just a standing/running perspective. 10x louder than my previous model S.
a lot of noise when car was in launch mode preparing the battery. Other than that nothing to extreme. This is my first Tesla though.

Let me add my issues after almost 2000 miles and 1 month of ownership:

Those I didn't see anyone reporting:
1. I have an LR model with 21" wheels, which is supposedly 375 miles. It shows 345 when fully charged.
2. When I open the frunk, the car reports (in the app) that the trunk is open too.
3. Sometimes the car reports both the trunk & the trunk as open even though they are not.
4. Front passenger side triangle window (the small one) is not connected to the weatherstrip (missing glue?) which produces a lot of wind noise
5. The glove box would occasionally not open, have to do restart to get it to open.
6. Passenger side A pillar is lose

The ones I have and saw other people reporting too:
1. Parking sensors error message comes & goes
2. No auto-park (I am with FSD)
3. Misalignments of the trim on the rear passenger side
4. Occasional rattle noise heard from driver side wheel (when window is open)

Let me add my issues after almost 2000 miles and 1 month of ownership:

Those I didn't see anyone reporting:
1. I have an LR model with 21" wheels, which is supposedly 375 miles. It shows 345 when fully charged.
2. When I open the frunk, the car reports (in the app) that the trunk is open too.
3. Sometimes the car reports both the trunk & the trunk as open even though they are not.
4. Front passenger side triangle window (the small one) is not connected to the weatherstrip (missing glue?) which produces a lot of wind noise
5. The glove box would occasionally not open, have to do restart to get it to open.
6. Passenger side A pillar is lose

The ones I have and saw other people reporting too:
1. Parking sensors error message comes & goes
2. No auto-park (I am with FSD)
3. Misalignments of the trim on the rear passenger side
4. Occasional rattle noise heard from driver side wheel (when window is open)
When charged to 90%, mine shows 337, which is spot on. I have not yet tried full charge. What does it read when you only charge to 90%? Meanwhile, tonight I'll set it to fully charge to see what I get. Also, what charger are you using. I am using a newly installed wall connector.

When charged to 90%, mine shows 337, which is spot on. I have not yet tried full charge. What does it read when you only charge to 90%? Meanwhile, tonight I'll set it to fully charge to see what I get. Also, what charger are you using. I am using a newly installed wall connector.

So, it's complicated...

When I got the car, I went to LA (from Bay Area) so I charged the car to 100% for the long trip. Back then (that's a few weeks ago), it was showing 375 miles of range, as expected. Since then I wasn't paying attention as I set my car to show %, not range. I did the range thing for the LA trip out of curiosity.
This morning, I go into the car and I see it's charged at 100%, even though I always keep the slider to 90% to preserve the battery's longevity. I guess a software bug or something, but I sure didn't set it to 100%, as I only do this before long trips and I have no long trips coming now.
So, I figured - oh, let's check the range at 100% again and switched to mileage display instead of % display... and boom - 345 miles :(
I use the mobile charger that came with the car, but with NEMA 14-50 adapter connected to a 240V outlet, so I charge at 8kW/h every night.
Here is a screenshot of what I have now 👀 Slider manually re-set to 90% (the car set it to 100% last night without me realizing it).

One more thing - I recently got the 2021.12.25.5 update, so maybe it's software related...although regen breaking was non-existent this morning, in leu with expectations of a fully charged Tesla. Which software version do you have?

Attachments

• IMG_9CC1023FB1AE-1.jpeg
    IMG_9CC1023FB1AE-1.jpeg
    826.2 KB · Views: 79
So, it's complicated...

When I got the car, I went to LA (from Bay Area) so I charged the car to 100% for the long trip. Back then (that's a few weeks ago), it was showing 375 miles of range, as expected. Since then I wasn't paying attention as I set my car to show %, not range. I did the range thing for the LA trip out of curiosity.
This morning, I go into the car and I see it's charged at 100%, even though I always keep the slider to 90% to preserve the battery's longevity. I guess a software bug or something, but I sure didn't set it to 100%, as I only do this before long trips and I have no long trips coming now.
So, I figured - oh, let's check the range at 100% again and switched to mileage display instead of % display... and boom - 345 miles :(
I use the mobile charger that came with the car, but with NEMA 14-50 adapter connected to a 240V outlet, so I charge at 8kW/h every night.
Here is a screenshot of what I have now 👀 Slider manually re-set to 90% (the car set it to 100% last night without me realizing it).

One more thing - I recently got the 2021.12.25.5 update, so maybe it's software related...although regen breaking was non-existent this morning, in leu with expectations of a fully charged Tesla. Which software version do you have?
Just updated to 2021.12.15.5 last night. I will see what happens tonight when I set to 100%. I have yet to see indicator of regen breaking, but I haven't driven much yet.

Likely the pedestrian noise speaker? Wonder if it’s in the front right wheel well where you can disconnect it like the Y?

congrats on picking it up! Enjoy the imperfections
Picked up mine about two weeks ago and I share many of the same issues as you. My main gripe is with a super buggy software. Here are my concerns:

- My car won't go to sleep. Both displays continue to remain on 24/7 regardless of me locking car, walking away, etc. I've gone through resetting the vehicle many times to fix this, doesn't work. I've powered the car off through the safety option only to notice that a few hours later is back on.
- Something is humming or "running" on constantly in the vehicle, as if something is on and won't shut off.
- My headlights remain on for too long after I walk away, many times they won't turn off at all.
- Car won't lock itself after walking away. Have to manually lock from app.
- Two scroll wheels on steering wheel are hot to the touch from lights on yolk remaining on constantly.
- Car seems to radiate heat inside the cabin, perhaps due to displays remaining on
- Passenger door open switch light is way brighter vs drivers' door light switch which I presume is the normal brightness
- Operating system has frozen twice while supercharging
- When accessing owners manual, the screen locks up as well.
- Charging door won't open on first try, I needs to try multiple times or open through app

Just dropped off at service center. Hope this helps others with similiar issues. The pros outweigh the cons...still awesome car...

Adding this from the other thread...

This is the same exact alignment issues I had on my LR. It seems to be a common.

To add to this: (Before the fix, the errors occurred, and the steering went out of alignment), I noticed the steering wheel was VERY squirrely on hard launches so be aware.

So, it's complicated...

When a Tesla has more than 90% charged, you lose regen braking. No where to put it in the battery. Drop to 90 or below, regen returns

When a Tesla has more than 90% charged, you lose regen braking. No where to put it in the battery. Drop to 90 or below, regen returns
It’s not black and white though. You do get some regen as early as 99% and it increases as you reach the lower 90s, then it’s fully available at its max (unless the battery is really cold).

I know. My points were different - I didn’t put the car to 100% yet it charged to 100% but even at 100% it shows only 340 miles range which is more in line with 90%. I thought it may be a UI issue of what %/miles it shows but then again lack of regen breaking kind of tells me that it’s not just a UI issue but instead an actual error with charging to 100% and phantom drain of 10% on 2000 miles.