Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I figured I would start a thread to document my journey with this insane speed demon. I’ve had the car for 2 days now.

So I was set on the LR version, but after some discussion and thinking I decided to go for the Plaid. It’s a lot of money for a mere 1 second, but frankly I just couldn’t stop thinking about possibly regretting not upgrading so I just went for it.

Instead of ordering the Plaid I was able to find one in inventory. I know the possibility of the car being a rejected vehicle is a bit high but I decided to risk it because this one had the wood trim along with the white seats, the same spec as the LR. I did not want carbon fiber as I think it’s too trendy and the wood just looks more luxurious. When it came time to schedule my delivery I had a feeling I would be rejecting the vehicle. I got to the service center at 10:15 for my 10:30 pickup, but the vehicle was nowhere on the lot. I waited till 10:45 and still nothing so I made my way in and asked if my vehicle was going to be available for pickup. They said they were still charging the vehicle since they knew I had a 50 mile drive back. Thoughtful of them but something that should have been done prior to 10:30.

Anyways vehicle came out while a went to go grab some coffee. Keep in mind it was a super cold day in Illinois so I didn’t bother going through the entire TMC Model S checklist. I started by checking panel gaps and it all looked pretty good. Paint is in fantastic condition, some water spots but not a big deal. Door handles looked great and all doors opened and closed without any issues. I got to the trunk and was shocked to see this:

8ACD83DD-F0E3-40EE-9D0A-BBFA87B3A92A.jpeg

The white specks are snow.

The SA already noted this and they said they would order the part and send out a mobile technician to fix it. My left floor cover and cargo cover were missing.

The only other issue I saw was the wood trim was not completely flush, but that’s just me being OCD. I was able to improve it a bit myself and figured I wouldn’t ask them to correct it because it would mean they would adjust the entire door and I didn’t want the almost perfect panel gaps to worsen.

14F9E0FB-71FE-452F-A962-2187B4174449.jpeg

FA2818FD-2E28-4205-89FA-CE1857D06EB3.jpeg

Other than that it all looked great. Now coming from a BMW X3M I was a bit worried about the ride/cornering of the Model S. We had a 2019 M3P also and that thing was fast but it was a tin can. I was actually shocked when I first drove off, the Model S Plaid is 100% comparable to a German car. The fit and finish isn’t 100% but it’s impressive just how much more solid this vehicle feels compared to our M3P. I know the Model S is more expensive but I wasn’t ready for this big of a leap. Compared to our previous BMW, the Plaid actually feels more solid and planted than my X3M ever did. The combination of air suspension and the heavy weight helps the Model S feel super planted and it just glides on the road. It gives you that on rails feeling only German vehicles could create. Cornering and handling are fairly good too for this size of vehicle, it’s no BMW but it’s respectable. I haven’t been able to push the vehicle to hard in turns because of our icy conditions.

One thing I thought I would miss was the exhaust note, but honestly the silence is nice and with the double paned windows it just feels like your in some sort of crazy spaceship as you zip past everything outside. So far not missing the farts and burbles of the BMW. Also, it’s nice to utilize the speed without having to rev up the engine and have everyone look at you.

I’m going to keep posting my thoughts once I get some more seat time. I’ll give more detailed thoughts and opinions on the exterior and interior in the coming weeks.

Hey guys, I figured I would start a thread to document my journey with this insane speed demon. I’ve had the car for 2 days now.

So I was set on the LR version, but after some discussion and thinking I decided to go for the Plaid. It’s a lot of money for a mere 1 second, but frankly I just couldn’t stop thinking about possibly regretting not upgrading so I just went for it.

Instead of ordering the Plaid I was able to find one in inventory. I know the possibility of the car being a rejected vehicle is a bit high but I decided to risk it because this one had the wood trim along with the white seats, the same spec as the LR. I did not want carbon fiber as I think it’s too trendy and the wood just looks more luxurious. When it came time to schedule my delivery I had a feeling I would be rejecting the vehicle. I got to the service center at 10:15 for my 10:30 pickup, but the vehicle was nowhere on the lot. I waited till 10:45 and still nothing so I made my way in and asked if my vehicle was going to be available for pickup. They said they were still charging the vehicle since they knew I had a 50 mile drive back. Thoughtful of them but something that should have been done prior to 10:30.

Anyways vehicle came out while a went to go grab some coffee. Keep in mind it was a super cold day in Illinois so I didn’t bother going through the entire TMC Model S checklist. I started by checking panel gaps and it all looked pretty good. Paint is in fantastic condition, some water spots but not a big deal. Door handles looked great and all doors opened and closed without any issues. I got to the trunk and was shocked to see this:

View attachment 761854

The white specks are snow.

The SA already noted this and they said they would order the part and send out a mobile technician to fix it. My left floor cover and cargo cover were missing.

The only other issue I saw was the wood trim was not completely flush, but that’s just me being OCD. I was able to improve it a bit myself and figured I wouldn’t ask them to correct it because it would mean they would adjust the entire door and I didn’t want the almost perfect panel gaps to worsen.

View attachment 761864
View attachment 761865

Other than that it all looked great. Now coming from a BMW X3M I was a bit worried about the ride/cornering of the Model S. We had a 2019 M3P also and that thing was fast but it was a tin can. I was actually shocked when I first drove off, the Model S Plaid is 100% comparable to a German car. The fit and finish isn’t 100% but it’s impressive just how much more solid this vehicle feels compared to our M3P. I know the Model S is more expensive but I wasn’t ready for this big of a leap. Compared to our previous BMW, the Plaid actually feels more solid and planted than my X3M ever did. The combination of air suspension and the heavy weight helps the Model S feel super planted and it just glides on the road. It gives you that on rails feeling only German vehicles could create. Cornering and handling are fairly good too for this size of vehicle, it’s no BMW but it’s respectable. I haven’t been able to push the vehicle to hard in turns because of our icy conditions.

One thing I thought I would miss was the exhaust note, but honestly the silence is nice and with the double paned windows it just feels like your in some sort of crazy spaceship as you zip past everything outside. So far not missing the farts and burbles of the BMW. Also, it’s nice to utilize the speed without having to rev up the engine and have everyone look at you.

I’m going to keep posting my thoughts once I get some more seat time. I’ll give more detailed thoughts and opinions on the exterior and interior in the coming weeks.
I'm assuming you didn't bother to test drive a Taycan 4S before you bought this. It actually comes with a steering wheel! The Plaid S is stupid fast but dangerously so with inadequate braking and universally derided ergonomics. The Germans can't keep up on the software but then again, we're talking about driving here... and I'm not quite sure the production concepts (i.e. remove every button for the sake of supply chain efficiency) Tesla employs quite match up to the more traditional "build it right" ethos of Porsche, Audi, etc.

I'm assuming you didn't bother to test drive a Taycan 4S before you bought this. It actually comes with a steering wheel! The Plaid S is stupid fast but dangerously so with inadequate braking and universally derided ergonomics. The Germans can't keep up on the software but then again, we're talking about driving here... and I'm not quite sure the production concepts (i.e. remove every button for the sake of supply chain efficiency) Tesla employs quite match up to the more traditional "build it right" ethos of Porsche, Audi, etc.

A Taycan doesn't work if you have friends or adult children you want to go on trips with, I don't understand how they managed to make it so small inside. Also the interior design is best described as cluttered with all those different screens. One of the best looking EVs on the outside but as soon as I sat in one I had no desire to buy one.

A Taycan doesn't work if you have friends or adult children you want to go on trips with, I don't understand how they managed to make it so small inside. Also the interior design is best described as cluttered with all those different screens. One of the best looking EVs on the outside but as soon as I sat in one I had no desire to buy one.
See, the irony here is that so many Model S Plaid owners talk about "getting used to" all of the idiosyncratic elements like yoke, lack of stalk, etc. while some Tesla drivers then turn around and critique various things that are seemingly trivial by comparison such as having two screens. If anything the 911/Taycan aesthetic is "minimalist" not cluttered and you can hardly call it difficult to use. It's not perfect but it's simple enough to "get used to". Also, you have stalks, a steering wheel, a little scroll wheel to adjust the volume, buttons to lift the car, and skip tracks. I agree that legroom is a bit tight in the back but for "normal" children it's just fine and for 4 medium size adults I don't think you're cramped at all. You sat in the car one time and formed an opinion? Great?? But most people aren't buying performance cars for sitting in and the Taycan is amongst the most comfortable performance vehicles you will ever encounter and universally lauded for being both usable and capable. Don't be a hater. If you want to be critical you should know what you're talking about. The worst thing about the Taycan is the infotainment and navigation, but I'm not here to levy random criticisms. I'm just pointing out that the OP's mention of German quality seems off the mark in reference to the Plaid. The thing can't even stop itself without a $25k aftermarket brake upgrade!

• Disagree
Reactions: serendipitous
See, the irony here is that so many Model S Plaid owners talk about "getting used to" all of the idiosyncratic elements like yoke, lack of stalk, etc. while some Tesla drivers then turn around and critique various things that are seemingly trivial by comparison such as having two screens. If anything the 911/Taycan aesthetic is "minimalist" not cluttered and you can hardly call it difficult to use. It's not perfect but it's simple enough to "get used to". Also, you have stalks, a steering wheel, a little scroll wheel to adjust the volume, buttons to lift the car, and skip tracks. I agree that legroom is a bit tight in the back but for "normal" children it's just fine and for 4 medium size adults I don't think you're cramped at all. You sat in the car one time and formed an opinion? Great?? But most people aren't buying performance cars for sitting in and the Taycan is amongst the most comfortable performance vehicles you will ever encounter and universally lauded for being both usable and capable. Don't be a hater. If you want to be critical you should know what you're talking about. The worst thing about the Taycan is the infotainment and navigation, but I'm not here to levy random criticisms. I'm just pointing out that the OP's mention of German quality seems off the mark in reference to the Plaid. The thing can't even stop itself without a $25k aftermarket brake upgrade!

There are more German manufacturers than Porsche though, the OP compares it to their BMW which is a German manufacturer, the Taycan is a lot more expensive so I would expect it to be of a higher quality. So you don't have to be as good as the Taycan to be comparable to the Germans.

My point was also that the Model S and the Taycan are completely different cars, the Taycan isn't made to be a large hatchback seating 4 adults comfortably like the Model S is, it also costs a lot more for a comparable spec at least over here in Europe. And yes the Taycan is cramped for 4 adults, I am just above average with my 187 cm and I could barely get in the car behind myself even though I sit quite far forward for my height. Can't imagine cramming my friends of similar height for the 8 hour trip to the ski resorts in that car, even the Model 3 is roomy in comparison.

As for getting used to the infotainment and multiple screens, of course I could do that. I could also get used to having a dumbphone as well again but it would still feel dated in the year 2022 even if I was used to it.

I‘m assuming you previously owned a Tesla Model S.
Which model/year?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.