Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Nurburgring lap time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, normal person won't be able to come anywhere close to that time with stock setup without a crash.

Considering it's the fastest accelerating car in the world, it's almost a minute slower than gt2rs. And judging by the video, in stock form, it's absolutely horrible experience. 1/4 mile is impressive, Ring record is painful to watch.

It's not a track car. I'm not even sure that if you change a suspension, brakes, steering wheel and aero it will become one. It's a gt car - fast highway sedan. Time doesn't matter. Miata is a track car, doesn't matter that it won't do it fast, but you will have a lot of fun. Model 3 is a good short track car and a lot of fun. That video is not fun and whole record is pointless.
If you're used to cars that actually stick, it looks painful. I swap between my E90M and my Spec Racer Ford on the same track fairly often and you have to recalibrate your expectations. The E90M, with near-stock power, is 12mph quicker at the topend of the main straight. It's traction limited everywhere even on super-200 tires, and this is not a powerful car by modern standards. The Spec Racer Ford, with Hoosier DOT tires and weighing 1600lb with 130hp, is a full 4 seconds a lap faster...on a 1:06-ish lap. At the ring it'd probably be half a minute. It sticks...the E90M on soft street suspension and street tires with 3650lb and 420hp of driving excitement...doesn't by comparison. I've done a fair amount of tracking in things that shouldn't be fun if you believe the Miata people on the internet - it's always fun.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, painful is in the eye of the beholder. I find driving lead sleds enjoyable in its own way as it's just a different kind of optimization problem. The SRF can do quali laps all day long just about, which can get a little boring unless you're racing somebody hard. a car that is taxing its tires in all directions all the time can be a lot of fun and introduces additional strategy you don't get from a car that can just run hard all day

That said, the PS4S is not a tire I would choose for even one lap of the nordschleife. I do love it and have it as a street tire for my car, but you can take the outside tread blocks with their "stickier" compound right off the tire in a session if you aren't careful. The Cup2+ and R (or either of the two hot Goodyears) are more heat-tolerant as well. There are also almost more OEM-special fitments of the Cup2 than there are "standard" Cup2 sizes/part numbers. N-spec tires really are different and when you start talking about the track tires, even more true.

I've done the Rent4Ring experience a million years ago, and burned through half a set of front R888's in half a cool, dry-damp day with only 200hp in the FWD Opel Corsa I happened to rent. Based on my experience with both tires, I doubt PS4S would have survived the day without a rotation. Most of those corners on the Plaid lap were not corners in that car...lol

Last edited:
If you get the most out of them (from an absolute laptime perspective) they won't hold up for long. If you drive under their limits, they can last a good long while, but obviously, that's slower on a per-lap basis. One Lap of America is a perfect format for them because it's 3 laps and park it, then wait for hours or drive on the street to the next track/event/hotel. PS4S is a great all-rounder performance tire for sure, but it's not a track tire.

I think a lot of the positive track experiences people report with PS4S are people who are not leaning on them particularly hard (which is fine, do your thing) but your mileage will definitely vary under different conditions and with a different time target/driver

It's also possible Tesla might have had Michelin do some magic on the T0 spec PS4S for Plaid. BMW had Michelin do this on the "outdated" PSS for the F8x M cars and it magically got just about to performance parity with PS4S.

Last edited:
Just for info I have a model3 and model S. These tesla et both fast and really fast have good road holding but they weight is there and can really feel it these cars a not very nimble.

I do also have an rx8r3 this thing have absolutely NO torque is quite slow in comparison but it is absolutely fun , nimble and predictable in just about any corner even at the very limit. Yes teslas have probably higher limits but once you near them you have to fight