Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid - One Year Later

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kinda of hard to believe, but one year ago today, I was one of the lucky few to take delivery of one of the first Tesla Model S Plaid

IMG_0816.jpeg

The intervening year has been a blast with this car--I have loved every minute of ownership. I did a 6 month post, so I am going to focus on what has changed in the last six months in the update.

The basics:​

• Birthday: May 25 2021 7:44:45
  • 9,122 miles
  • Running 2022.12.2.20 (FSD beta build)
  • Lifetime efficiency: 336 Wh/mi
  • Pack 2% degradation - I was at 96.1 kWh usable on delivery, currently at 94.5 kWh -- this post for details

Performance:​

A few folks wondered if the performance held up--this powertrain continues to amaze on a daily basis both on the track and on the streets:
  • My best 1/4 mile time dropped a tenth to 9.473 @ 151.53 -- on all season tires :p
  • My 0-60 time is consistn--just did a run this morning to confirm and came in at 2.13 sec (w/ rollout) -- my best is 2.11 sec so I'd say the car has not lost anything
IMG_0418.jpeg

Service:​

No real updates on the two open issues from my 6-month update--they still have tape on the 2nd row latches to deal with the rattle and the side mirrors still do not flip down properly when I shift into reverse.

I do have two new issues:
  • I was having issues with the DashCam ("USB drive unplugged") and mobile service figured out the USB cable from the glovebox to the "USB hub" had come lose
  • I just stated getting intermittent "Safety restraint system fault" (RCM2_a196) messages. The tech had me check there was nothing jammed under either front seat (there was not) so it is going into the shop next week
I have been lucky and avoided some of the issues, like the low-speed rumble, that other folks are seeing.

Body and interior:​

• Car is still as tight as the day I picked it up. No new squeaks or rattles, sound floor is still low and the active noise reduction only helped that
  • White interior is still pristine--survived many passengers and one of my German shepherds
  • The wood trim looks like it dried out a bit--I have applied a light coat of Liquid Gold a couple of times which help adore it to its original sheen. I will say it is kinda fragile, it is prone to nicking, so a touch-up stick is a must (link in the 6-month post). I like the open pore, textured finish over the hyper-shellacked look in some cars, but this is the price you pay.
  • Paint is looking great (I do not have PPF installed). There is one sub-mm chip in the hood (which was my stupidity not road debris). I know a few folks had concerns about road rash on the front of the rear wheel arches--mine are minimal chipping (a couple of tiny chips in front of the right arch). Of course this is California so I don't have cinders and the like to deal with. I only hand wash, so the paint is still swirl-free.
  • Miss the pano roof, but I do appreciate the quiet and rigidity the fixed roof brings
  • I have to once again call out the great job Tesla did with lowering the noise floor, then adding high-resolution audio with Tidal was 🤯

AP and FSD​

There are still a couple of quirks/annoyances that persist since day 1
  • Still cannot set following-distance (quirk)
  • The car absolutely struggles with proper following distance--when actual speed is lower than set speed, if a car in front of me accelerates or changes lanes, my car seems to forget that it can go faster now. I have to goose the accelerator and then the car picks up speed (annoyance)
  • Car takes forever to come up to speed when it changes lanes into a faster lanes-I have timed it and it takes 8-10 sec to accelerate to match flow, which is dangerous
  • I have not missed the radar being turned off--nothing got worse and seem to improve phantom braking (the hard braking at high speed)

Software​

This is my only area of disappointment with the car. Most of you got v11 with the holiday update, but I've been running the same SW for a year know and the pace of updates and fixes seems glacial. I mean, one year later, why is this still a thing:

IMG_0408.jpeg

Beyond the UI/UX fails of the button itself, why is it covering the repeater camera views precisely when they are most needed--it should never have been released like this, but in the last year, it should have occurred to someone that this kinds sucks and should be fixed. For me, the biggest feature update was the availability of Tidal. Tidal is great in the it really shows of the quality of the sound system, but overall, things are kinda underwhelming (the implementation of blind spot camera comes to mind). It seems like the SW team is starved for resources, which is a shame. What happened to the games that were shown at release? What is supposed to happen with the rear seat monitor, because the current set of features don't make a whole lot of sense to me. I think Tesla has the best modern UI out there right now, but given all the computing horsepower and displays available, it seems to be under-delivering on both features that are commonplace on other cars (i.e. cross-traffic and 360 views) and unique things only Tesla could pull off that show off the power of their HW+SW platform. RIvian is doing a great job showing the flexibility and fungibility of a software defined platform and Apple's vision for CarPlay is certainly throwing down the gauntlet for UI and extensibility.

Yoke​

Continue to be a yoke fan--would not go back to a wheel even if Elon came over to install it. I love the yoke+stalkless control scheme. I have driven everything from city streets, to freeway to winding coastal roads and switchbacks and the yoke has always been great--the only thing I have not done is high-speed track driving with the yoke, so cannot comment on that. The caveat is the yoke requires some re-learning of how to steer--some folks will will be cool with that while others won't. I am not trying to convince anyone of anything other than to give it a honest try for a week or so.

Random​

• I got one of the pirate CCS chargers from South Korea -- works great
  • I still have about half of the Tequila left :)

Bottom line:​

I love this car, it is fast, fun and gorgeous and, given a choice, I'd buy it all over again.

IMG_0407.jpeg

** UPDATED ** I screwed up on the pack degradation, it is at 2% not 6%

Last edited:
No it will not, it is up to the SW to use it or not. 2 cars with radar and no radar at the same SW stack will behave the same if Tesla truly ditched the Radar input in code as they announced.

Unless there are rogue developers who kept some code to use it in some cases.

I think the sample size for non-radar Model S is still a bit too small.

Anecdotally, on the M3/Y side where there are a larger number of non-radar cars, many users have reported a significant difference between the two. Many of the Facebook groups I'm part of have this come up every so often. There have even been some owners who have both who've stated phantom braking (in particular) is much much worse on vision only cars. This would seem to imply those with radar are still "allowed" to use it, though OFC I don't have any more substantiation than anecdotal comments from others, so who knows...

how did you measure degradation? or just simple math when you charge to a certain % and see what estimated range you get compared the advertised one?

Man, I am so glad you asked the the question because it caused me to go up the data and grab some screenshots and I realized I screwed up. I am not sure what I was thinking, but my pack degradation is actually only 2%. I pull the data using a CANserver (built by @JWardell) to grab the CANbus data out of the car and TesLax (written by @AllAboutJake) to capture, visualize, etc--both excellent tools that I highly recommend if you are into this sort of thing. After BatteryGate, I am a believer in trust but verify. :)

Pulling data the other day, I have 94.5 kWh usable and 4.3 kWh buffer:

IMG_0431 (1).jpeg

Looking at logs from when I got the car, I had 96.1 useable, so a 2% loss.

Here is a snapshot of what my pack looks like:
IMG_0432.jpeg

No it will not, it is up to the SW to use it or not. 2 cars with radar and no radar at the same SW stack will behave the same if Tesla truly ditched the Radar input in code as they announced.

Unless there are rogue developers who kept some code to use it in some cases.
My assumption is they (radar and Vision) are on separate stacks. Where are you getting that Tesla disabled radar in non-FSD AP cars?

The HomeLink button covering the repeaters is one of the most inane things I've ever seen. The maddening thing is that it could SO EASILY be shrunk to fit in between the repeater camera and that would be a perfect solution.
I want to add in the seatbelt warning covering the home link too! Drives me nuts as that's usually when I want to press the homelink button. Also anyone actually figured out how to cancel auto open? The cancel text (really small) doesn't seem to do anything. I ended up turning off auto.

Following up on the restraint issue. They replaced a rear seatbelt but that did not address is issue, so next is to replace the Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) and the airbag. Perhaps related, the haptic feedback on my yoke went away, but mobile service replaced that already and it is happy again.

Following up on the restraint issue. They replaced a rear seatbelt but that did not address is issue, so next is to replace the Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) and the airbag. Perhaps related, the haptic feedback on my yoke went away, but mobile service replaced that already and it is happy again.
Did replacing the yoke fix the buzzing? I'm pushing my SC to replace my damn yoke already. It buzzes all the time and it rattles over every bump.

But do you have an airbag horn? 🤣🤣 I wonder if we'll ever hear from his lordship about that again.
Funny, because I've been searching videos and forums since a few days now and NOBODY has talked about this... I guess I am to assume that the horn isn't actually installed in the yolk like he said it was... Somebody would have mentionned feeling the middle portion 'moving' even if it didn't have the so-called firmware update.... :( Sad

• I was having issues with the DashCam ("USB drive unplugged") and mobile service figured out the USB cable from the glovebox to the "USB hub" had come lose
  • I just stated getting intermittent "Safety restraint system fault" (RCM2_a196) messages. The tech had me check there was nothing jammed under either front seat (there was not) so it is going into the shop next week
any updates on this? i actually had both of these pop up this morning on my way to work... restarted and messed around a bit and they went away, but i'm sure they'll be back.

any updates on this? i actually had both of these pop up this morning on my way to work... restarted and messed around a bit and they went away, but i'm sure they'll be back.
On the USB hub, apparently some cable was not plugged in properly between the port in the back of the glove box and the "USB hub" (tech's words). On the latter, it took a couple of tries but they eventually replaced the Steering Column Control Module which fixed the issue.