Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid: Paint chipping on Rear quarter panel and doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love this car. I don't drive it on dirt roads and only hand wash. My rear quarter panels are getting chipped. Looks like the New flare out is catching the road debris. Anyone else seeing this on their car? only 800 miles
rear quater close up.JPG
his?

I've been debating XPEL on the whole car vs not at all. The rear panels take more damage than the hood so far on my car. Based on the chipping I've seen after 1200 miles, it feels like it may be worth it to do the full wrap.
Given this guy's 2400 mile trip report and his paint damage at 8:46, wrapping the whole car is a no-brainer

Otherwise, I would stick to the stock PPF that Tesla ships the car with on the rear quarter panel. And if it's not there, call your service center and get them to apply it.

Reactions: Ormond
Upvote 0
I contacted Tesla and they told me not our problem. I’m gonna look for mud flaps for the 2021!
I contacted RPM Tesla and the ones they have on their site definitely won’t fit the 2021. Chad texted—“they will not fit currently they don’t have the screws and we won’t be working on it til we receive an S later down the line this year”. Just passing on the information so you don’t waste your time trying their site. I’m definitely interested in finding some as well

Upvote 0
I had this exact same problem but caught early so the damage was minimal. I have looked high and low for mud flaps/splash guards for this car with no luck.
I tried a set for a 2020 S and no go! I know have 4 different sets of "universal" flaps on the way to see if I can adapt something to look as factory as possible. I'll keep you all posted.
Any luck with an adaptation on the 4 different sets of universal flaps?

Upvote 0
Can someone take a clear close-up of the front and rear wheel well area where the flaps would normally attach? For the rears, a photo behind and under the rear panel (looking up) to see it there is a bolt there, as there is on the M3. Thanks!!!
The first photo with my finger shows where the grommet is in the front right wheel well relative to the grommet under the car. There are no grommets under the car behind the rear wheel well. Photo three shows two grommets closer together which is the left rear wheel well. For the front wheel well, the innermost grommet is beyond the curve and unlike the model 3. Please let me know if I can provide more detail. I was hoping the model 3 mudflaps would fit off the shelf but they don’t.

Attachments

• 157DD347-5888-47A2-B4B2-308903ADAD36.jpeg
    157DD347-5888-47A2-B4B2-308903ADAD36.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 16C2462C-1F08-44DA-83CB-651CC0CF4E15.jpeg
    16C2462C-1F08-44DA-83CB-651CC0CF4E15.jpeg
    762.6 KB · Views: 178
  • F61184B6-DBBC-4850-8FF2-4ADDC5E5E30C.jpeg
    F61184B6-DBBC-4850-8FF2-4ADDC5E5E30C.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 188
Upvote 0
The first photo with my finger shows where the grommet is in the front right wheel well relative to the grommet under the car. There are no grommets under the car behind the rear wheel well. Photo three shows two grommets closer together which is the left rear wheel well. For the front wheel well, the innermost grommet is beyond the curve and unlike the model 3. Please let me know if I can provide more detail. I was hoping the model 3 mudflaps would fit off the shelf but they don’t.
Thanks! So, behind the rear wheel well, underneath where the bumper skin attaches to the side of the car, there isn’t a bolt or grommet?! A picture would be worth a thousand words!

Reactions: KZ-CLT
Upvote 0
Thanks! So, behind the rear wheel well, underneath where the bumper skin attaches to the side of the car, there isn’t a bolt or grommet?! A picture would be worth a thousand words!
Image is the rear underside (driver’s side rear wheel—top of photo is obviously outer edge of car). It would also appear that a snap-in tab or clips will be needed to secure any mud guard on the front or rear edge up the sides (similar to the model 3 flap)—I feel an exposed metal lip with the wheel well housing tucked into it.

Attachments

• 54BD5CBF-A370-4B9B-8C70-9E0CA4E6C7D3.jpeg
    54BD5CBF-A370-4B9B-8C70-9E0CA4E6C7D3.jpeg
    395.2 KB · Views: 262
  • Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
Upvote 0
Image is the rear underside (driver’s side rear wheel—top of photo is obviously outer edge of car). It would also appear that a snap-in tab or clips will be needed to secure any mud guard on the front or rear edge up the sides (similar to the model 3 flap)—I feel an exposed metal lip with the wheel well housing tucked into it.
Thanks so much! I can now formulate a plan of attack!

Reactions: KZ-CLT
Upvote 0