Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid: Paint chipping on Rear quarter panel and doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love this car. I don't drive it on dirt roads and only hand wash. My rear quarter panels are getting chipped. Looks like the New flare out is catching the road debris. Anyone else seeing this on their car? only 800 miles
rear quater close up.JPG
his?

If anyone lives in N. Cal and wants some help putting these flaps on (and making instructions in the process for everyone else) PM me. I just finished the rears this weekend.

My design does not require screws but does requires drilling one hole for each flap in the wheel liner. You also need the Amazon items listed above.

Now that I have templates made it should be a straight forward process. Pics of my fronts are posted on page 3 of this thread.
Do I need to have fasteners to install them or use screws come with mud flaps?

Reactions: impastu
Upvote 0
Just chiming in here real quick with my own experience. Went on some country/farm roads the other day which gave me a good idea of the debris spray pattern. Lot of it on the doors was washed away by recent rain, but generally debris is kicked up all along the rocker panel, rear quarter panel, and the bottom half of the doors. Bottom of the rear bumper gets a thrashing every time too. Have to do a wash to see exactly how much of a beating my PPF got.

Flaps seem like the best solution to eliminate a lot of this, but trade-off is looks 🤷‍♂️ .

1635960144884.png

1635960250714.png

• Informative
Reactions: impastu
Upvote 0
Just chiming in here real quick with my own experience. Went on some country/farm roads the other day which gave me a good idea of the debris spray pattern. Lot of it on the doors was washed away by recent rain, but generally debris is kicked up all along the rocker panel, rear quarter panel, and the bottom half of the doors. Bottom of the rear bumper gets a thrashing every time too. Have to do a wash to see exactly how much of a beating my PPF got.

Flaps seem like the best solution to eliminate a lot of this, but trade-off is looks 🤷‍♂️ .

View attachment 728899

View attachment 728900
Well, speaking of looks, I’d prefer looking at flaps than a chipped and sandblasted paint job!

Upvote 0