Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid: Paint chipping on Rear quarter panel and doors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love this car. I don't drive it on dirt roads and only hand wash. My rear quarter panels are getting chipped. Looks like the New flare out is catching the road debris. Anyone else seeing this on their car? only 800 miles
rear quater close up.JPG
his?

That was after 1600 miles though. First 1600 it was stock, still no chips.
I’d bet there are some under your full coverage PPF from prior then. Like I said, I have chips in my PPF which is much more durable than any painted surface
It’s just going to happen with this car, then it’s a matter of having full coverage PPF that takes the brunt of the damage and can be replaced or dealing with peppered paint

Upvote 0
When I had my 2014 Tesla with White Pearl detailed and coated, the detailer said that the Tesla Pearl White was the hardest Tesla paint and other colors were softer and had more defects.
It’s all the same CA compliant crappy water based paint; the tricoat white pearl has an extra paint layer so it may not chip all the way through as easy, but it’s still going to chip. It’s not any “harder” though. I’ve personally owned a Tesla in the pearl white and had the same issues I’ve had with other Tesla colors

Upvote 0
It’s all the same CA compliant crappy water based paint; the tricoat white pearl has an extra paint layer so it may not chip all the way through as easy, but it’s still going to chip. It’s not any “harder” though. I’ve personally owned a Tesla in the pearl white and had the same issues I’ve had with other Tesla colors
I don't know that it is exactly the same paint. Often metallic or other color variations can be different.

Yes they all have to be California compliant but they can still be different. The detailer who had lots of experience with all the different Tesla paints was confident the Pearl white was better when new and also more durable compared to others.

Upvote 0
I don't know that it is exactly the same paint. Often metallic or other color variations can be different.

Yes they all have to be California compliant but they can still be different. The detailer who had lots of experience with all the different Tesla paints was confident the Pearl white was better when new and also more durable compared to others.

That’s true, but the pearl white is not like a metallic where it’s in the one paint layer; it’s just a regular white with an extra pearlescent layer over top it. I painted a small area on my pearl white Tesla that was damaged and the white paint is typical water based crap. The pearlescent layer is basically clearcoat. There’s nothing “stronger” to it

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
Upvote 0
That’s true, but the pearl white is not like a metallic where it’s in the one paint layer; it’s just a regular white with an extra pearlescent layer over top it. I painted a small area on my pearl white Tesla that was damaged and the white paint is typical water based crap. The pearlescent layer is basically clearcoat. There’s nothing “stronger” to it
The detailers experience is different, and also based on his professional experience and a much bigger sample size of lots of teslas.

But I have no doubt that you firmly believe he is wrong because of your knowledge that it is all the same water based crap and it would violate the laws of physics for one water based crap to be better than another water based crap because of course all water based crap is the same water based crap and there cannot be any variations of water based crap.

Upvote 0
The detailers experience is different, and also based on his professional experience and a much bigger sample size of lots of teslas.

But I have no doubt that you firmly believe he is wrong because of your knowledge that it is all the same water based crap and it would violate the laws of physics for one water based crap to be better than another water based crap because of course all water based crap is the same water based crap and there cannot be any variations of water based crap.
Cute
And the same can be said for basing your vast knowledge on a detailers “experience” which is nothing but subjective. Definitely go off that and don’t even worry about PPF or anything because you’re golden. Like I said, my actual PPF is chipping in that area so the color of the paint doesn’t mean a damn thing in the end

Upvote 0
Cross posted from the PPF thread, but this is what my fenders look like after only about 2000 miles on heavily gravelled Canadian roads. It’s only been a month and my PPF is already ruined, I have hope the paint underneath is still protected but that won’t last.

Tesla needs to get those mud flaps in stock soon, cause this is nasty… I’m considering covering that small area with this black film, it might look OK with my blue colour, but I’m not sure….

Attachments

• D86B890F-A548-4E0E-A60A-E45075F448C7.jpeg
    D86B890F-A548-4E0E-A60A-E45075F448C7.jpeg
    514.3 KB · Views: 527
  • 9DF2A293-9906-47DB-81A4-DAA8586D9F53.jpeg
    9DF2A293-9906-47DB-81A4-DAA8586D9F53.jpeg
    709.8 KB · Views: 148
Upvote 0
Cross posted from the PPF thread, but this is what my fenders look like after only about 2000 miles on heavily gravelled Canadian roads. It’s only been a month and my PPF is already ruined, I have hope the paint underneath is still protected but that won’t last.

Tesla needs to get those mud flaps in stock soon, cause this is nasty… I’m considering covering that small area with this black film, it might look OK with my blue colour, but I’m not sure….

I removed my Tesla Flaps that they were ineffective. Replaced with @M4H4X custom made flaps and now there's no issue.

Upvote 0

Wow! That’s crazy

Upvote 0
I know they aren't well reviewed, but my local SC did have a set of the Tesla mudflaps in stock. I've purchased them and will pick them up today. At least I have a solution right now, as this is the worst time of year given the amount of winter gravel on the roads. If they're as bad as people say, I can take my time finding a better solution with the knowledge that at least I'm not causing more damage now.

Upvote 0
I know they aren't well reviewed, but my local SC did have a set of the Tesla mudflaps in stock. I've purchased them and will pick them up today. At least I have a solution right now, as this is the worst time of year given the amount of winter gravel on the roads. If they're as bad as people say, I can take my time finding a better solution with the knowledge that at least I'm not causing more damage now.
If you cut 3/4” off the bottom they actually work fine. I have them and they scraped all the time…I followed someone’s advice and cut a small (3/4”) amount off the bottom and no more scraping and they appear to still have good coverage.

• Informative
Reactions: sandman1330
Upvote 0
Got the Tesla flaps installed, and yep, they scrape. However, they're also very floppy and flexible, so I don't see them getting ripped off being a concern.

I had them tap a couple times on larger bumps on the highway when in low, but setting ride height to medium, they seem to be OK. I always raise the suspension to very high over curbs anyway, so I may leave them as is for now. I'll cut them down if it becomes more of a problem, but for now it's just a minor annoyance.

Reactions: Robotpedlr
Upvote 0
Love this car. I don't drive it on dirt roads and only hand wash. My rear quarter panels are getting chipped. Looks like the New flare out is catching the road debris. Anyone else seeing this on their car? only 800 miles View attachment 685948his?
Yep, me too. Took it to Tesla Service at Burbank and they stated that it normal wear and tear. Translation...we did not baked your paint long enough during production to cut corners and fulfill more orders faster. Sucka the customer like us who paid over $100K and paid extra for a different color so the sand or debris picked up from the front tires can damage the soft paint job on the rear quarter panels. That's Tesla 4u--always thinking for the bottom dollar vs. quality and customer service. Best get it repainted and have PPF installed. Or simply not drive the soft paint Tesla. Better yet, trade it in for Lucid.

Upvote 0
Yep, me too. Took it to Tesla Service at Burbank and they stated that it normal wear and tear. Translation...we did not baked your paint long enough during production to cut corners and fulfill more orders faster. Sucka the customer like us who paid over $100K and paid extra for a different color so the sand or debris picked up from the front tires can damage the soft paint job on the rear quarter panels. That's Tesla 4u--always thinking for the bottom dollar vs. quality and customer service. Best get it repainted and have PPF installed. Or simply not drive the soft paint Tesla. Better yet, trade it in for Lucid.
Less expensive would be to install the mud flaps methinks.

Upvote 0