Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Paint Coat Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I came across this issue on my black Model S Plaid. I'm having PPF (Xpel Ultimate Plus) put on the entire car and we found that the clear coat on the paint is coming off and creating white patches on the film. This has been identified in two specific locations, the driver side doors and one of the wheel arch panels. I attached a picture the installer sent me. I'm being told this is likely related to a bad paint job. I'm not sure if I should reach out to Tesla to fix under warranty or get someone to fix these areas. I guess it depends on the overall cost. I just don't want all the hassle of Tesla warranty service and having to return to get the film reinstalled. Clearly, I can have the film put on looking like this and I'm concern Tesla may try to make it an issue blame it on the film installation. I would love to get your thoughts on what I should do or if anyone has come across a similar issue with your vehicle's paint job. Thanks a bunch
Screenshot_20210804-213426_Gallery.jpg

Here are two more pictures. I agree is hard to figure out what you looking for. The car is very reflective to be able to take a clear photo. Let me know if you can see it on these new photos.

Attachments

• 82e58737047745da95a9d96d399b3e93df9d0cf2-34(1).jpg
    82e58737047745da95a9d96d399b3e93df9d0cf2-34(1).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 82e58737047745da95a9d96d399b3e93df9d0cf2-14.jpg
    82e58737047745da95a9d96d399b3e93df9d0cf2-14.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 241
You can be absolutely sure that Tesla will blame it on the film if you put it on, guarantied. Getting fixed at Tesla, well, it's Tesla 😖
That's exactly what I'm worried about. That Tesla is going to play the blaming game. However, the argument is that if the clear coat was done properly in the first place this wouldn't be happening specially when we're talking about a $165k purchase. I will let them drive the discussion but I won't go down without a fight though. What's interesting is that it only happened on this one door and not any other door. If the rest of the car has the same issue atbleast the PPF is going to protect it, just wondering what is going to happen I'm 10yrs when I need to remove and replace the film, if I still keep the car that is.

Seriously, everyone should be on a lookout for thin clear coats on their new cars.

Reactions: mvotb
That's exactly what I'm worried about. That Tesla is going to play the blaming game. However, the argument is that if the clear coat was done properly in the first place this wouldn't be happening specially when we're talking about a $165k purchase. I will let them drive the discussion but I won't go down without a fight though. What's interesting is that it only happened on this one door and not any other door. If the rest of the car has the same issue atbleast the PPF is going to protect it, just wondering what is going to happen I'm 10yrs when I need to remove and replace the film, if I still keep the car that is.

Seriously, everyone should be on a lookout for thin clear coats on their new cars.
There is a reason the Cybertruck uses unpainted stainless steel. Tesla paint quality is an oxymoron.

IMO, if it's just the clear coat, that would not be expensive or difficult to fix, and you would probably have less stress / back and forth with Tesla if you just took care of it. Path of least resistance, but clearly not standing on principle.

This is clear coat peeling due to contaminants. PPF cannot do this kind of damage. Even curing ceramic with high heat would not cause this. Telsa is 100% at fault, and I would definitely bring it up with them before going to Plan B.

just take the PPF off and take it to Tesla....tell them the installer did not want to install in those areas until fixed...... if you dont do this,, they will blame you and/or the installer

Here are two more pictures. I agree is hard to figure out what you looking for. The car is very reflective to be able to take a clear photo. Let me know if you can see it on these new photos.

Holy guacamole. On a slight tangent, maybe find another installer if they didn't suggest correcting the paint before ppf. There's a ton of swirls and buffer trails/haziness.

• Disagree
Reactions: 2101Guy and ucsdsig
UPDATE: Today went to Tesla Service Center and no issues. They set me up with their bodyshop to get the problem fixed. No questions asked.
On the other hand, I did this yesterday. Ugh. How stupid. LOL Anyone in in the Bay Area know a good place to have this fixed.

Attachments

• 20210812_165619.jpg
    20210812_165619.jpg
    671.6 KB · Views: 213
UPDATE: Today went to Tesla Service Center and no issues. They set me up with their bodyshop to get the problem fixed. No questions asked.
On the other hand, I did this yesterday. Ugh. How stupid. LOL Anyone in in the Bay Area know a good place to have this fixed.
While I dont' have a referal for you because I'm not local, that should be easily fixable. I have a local wheel repair guy that comes to ME and repairs for around $130.

Reactions: TessP100D