Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Performance Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clearly they are very fast! Has anyone taken one on a road course? What course and how many laps did you get before overheating? I get very few in the M3P so am keenly interested in the cooling capabilities of the plaid.

Plaid test mules have been doing Laguna Seca multiple laps leading up to production without a breakdown or slowdowns. Also Unplugged Performance took 1st place in the Pikes Peak race just this last Saturday and did trial runs every day the week prior without reporting any overheating issues whatsoever so that should be a pretty strong indication of it's resilience. They pushed it Hard and likely made no changes to the cooling system as it already comes with the latest newly designed heat pump and a radiator that is twice as big as the previous gen S. I'm pretty sure when Elon said it would be able to do back to back 0-60's and haul ass on the track, he meant business. He knew after Porsche ribbing them indirectly about performance repeatability, that he would push his engineers to tackle this issue - and it seems pretty apparent that they have done so with flying colors.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-27 191658.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-06-27 191658.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 121
Plaid test mules have been doing Laguna Seca multiple laps leading up to production without a breakdown or slowdowns. Also Unplugged Performance took 1st place in the Pikes Peak race just this last Saturday and did trial runs every day the week prior without reporting any overheating issues whatsoever so that should be a pretty strong indication of it's resilience. They pushed it Hard and likely made no changes to the cooling system as it already comes with the latest newly designed heat pump and a radiator that is twice as big as the previous gen S. I'm pretty sure when Elon said it would be able to do back to back 0-60's and haul ass on the track, he meant business. He knew after Porsche ribbing them indirectly about performance repeatability, that he would push his engineers to tackle this issue - and it seems pretty apparent that they have done so with flying colors.
The problem is the testing at laguna seca was probably
a plaid plus and the pikes peak car probably did have a modified cooling system. My M3P can make zero to sixty runs all day with no overheating but only 2 or 3 laps at Barber before drastically overheating and losing power. You THINK the cooling is fine and I hope it is fine but THINK it is not. I’d like to hear from someone who knows. Tesla has mentioned the back to back 0 to 60 and UP has praised the persistence of power at lower SOC. But neither seem eager to comment directly on the overheating issue. So, it’s what we don’t hear that scares me. Solving the heating problem would be a major accomplishment and I think they would be making a very big deal out of it. I hope you are right, by the way.

• Disagree
Reactions: SmartElectric
The problem is the testing at laguna seca was probably
a plaid plus and the pikes peak car probably did have a modified cooling system. My M3P can make zero to sixty runs all day with no overheating but only 2 or 3 laps at Barber before drastically overheating and losing power. You THINK the cooling is fine and I hope it is fine but THINK it is not. I’d like to hear from someone who knows. Tesla has mentioned the back to back 0 to 60 and UP has praised the persistence of power at lower SOC. But neither seem eager to comment directly on the overheating issue. So, it’s what we don’t hear that scares me. Solving the heating problem would be a major accomplishment and I think they would be making a very big deal out of it. I hope you are right, by the way.

I just don't think they would have enough time to develop, test and implement reliable cooling changes to such a new car they've only had what one week in their hands. I do believe UP has also worked closely with Tesla to improve their cars (as seeing also how they're an official repair shop now) so I'd be confident that what Tesla has delivered is already engineered to be significantly better in every way possible as far as cooling is concerned.

I just don't think they would have enough time to develop, test and implement reliable cooling changes to such a new car they've only had what one week in their hands. I do believe UP has also worked closely with Tesla to improve their cars (as seeing also how they're an official repair shop now) so I'd be confident that what Tesla has delivered is already engineered to be significantly better in every way possible as far as cooling is concerned.

Agreed. From all the videos I've watched, including those with Ben, it seems as if it was more brakes, shocks, cage, strip the interior and go! Hell, the car even had the stock interior door handles to retain the release button, lol.

It's pretty neat to look at the 60-130 mph number and how it compares to the previous raven Model S Performance as well as other supercars (stock vs stock):

Tesla Model S Performance (Raven): 9.4 seconds
Tesla Model S Plaid: 4.67 seconds

McLaren 765LT: 4.76 seconds
Ferrari LaFerrari: ~5 seconds
Ferrari SF90: 4.97 seconds
Porsche Taycan Turbo S: 8.1 seconds

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210629-100123.png
    Screenshot_20210629-100123.png
    299.4 KB · Views: 89
It's pretty neat to look at the 60-130 mph number and how it compares to the previous raven Model S Performance as well as other supercars (stock vs stock):

Tesla Model S Performance (Raven): 9.4 seconds
Tesla Model S Plaid: 4.67 seconds

McLaren 765LT: 4.76 seconds
Ferrari LaFerrari: ~5 seconds
Ferrari SF90: 4.97 seconds
Porsche Taycan Turbo S: 8.1 seconds

First week, I had to seriously re-train my right foot when passing on the freeway...

OK folks, now that we are finally seeing Plaids hitting the streets and the race tracks, let's see those time and hear your observations and thoughts on how well your Plaid goes zoooooooooom.

I'll start--this is my best 0-60 time -- done on a backroad out in the stick, about 80% battery, full Cheetah launch, with a bit of an uphill slope :)

** EDIT** Actually not my best time--see a couple of posts down from here

View attachment 677587
Omar - did you have the previous Model S Performance with Ludicrous? I have one and just trying to gage the dragy times on it while it' sin ludicrous but not ludicrous plus mode... I could also buy a dragy and get the data myself, but didn't know if you knew off the top.

• Helpful
Reactions: HumanInput
Omar - did you have the previous Model S Performance with Ludicrous? I have one and just trying to gage the dragy times on it while it' sin ludicrous but not ludicrous plus mode... I could also buy a dragy and get the data myself, but didn't know if you knew off the top.
No, coming from an ancient '13 P85, so cannot help :)

OK folks, now that we are finally seeing Plaids hitting the streets and the race tracks, let's see those time and hear your observations and thoughts on how well your Plaid goes zoooooooooom.

I'll start--this is my best 0-60 time -- done on a backroad out in the stick, about 80% battery, full Cheetah launch, with a bit of an uphill slope :)

** EDIT** Actually not my best time--see a couple of posts down from here
Streets...

His buddies have drag chutes on the highway. Is that typical?

2017 P100D here, just got my dragy and only run in regular Ludicrous was 2.99 zero to sixty (2.81 with 1 foot rollout). Ludicrous plus netted a 2.95 and 2.77 with rollout. This was on a decent FM road but I have been meaning to get it out to a better spot to see if I can improve the times. I wonder how my battery's health is as well, only 279 miles at 100@ charge.

Note- after just a few runs went to reduced power and cool down mode.......... The one clean 1/4 mile was 11.2@117, I need Plaid bad, probably will still be a few years for me 😭

Not the firs time Situation Plaid channel disappeared. The guy had reopened the channel with the same name, reuploaded videos an made an explanation about that (but i could not understand english is not my native language) . now it is gone again.

• Funny
Reactions: TorqueMonster