Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Plus coming? Semi has 1kV Model S thee-motor.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Possible, but unlikely. 1000V systems make sense when you have a very large battery pack (i.e. > 150 kWh) and a vehicle that can hold a large battery pack such as the Semi or Cybertruck. For a 100 kWh pack in the S/X, going to 1000V by itself is not likely to increase performance or range. Only if they elect to add a much larger pack would it make sense. Then there is the issue of 40,000 Superchargers that don't currently support 1000V. That may be a far larger issue. With the low volumes on the S/X, I doubt they will spend the engineering effort for a Plaid Plus now, although it would be cool!

Possible, but unlikely. 1000V systems make sense when you have a very large battery pack (i.e. > 150 kWh) and a vehicle that can hold a large battery pack such as the Semi or Cybertruck. For a 100 kWh pack in the S/X, going to 1000V by itself is not likely to increase performance or range. Only if they elect to add a much larger pack would it make sense. Then there is the issue of 40,000 Superchargers that don't currently support 1000V. That may be a far larger issue. With the low volumes on the S/X, I doubt they will spend the engineering effort for a Plaid Plus now, although it would be cool!
The Plaid Plus was announced having 520 miles of range, instead of the current Plaid with 396 miles,
and was also supposed to have the 4680 Cells.

Porsche and Hyundai use a 400 V to 800 V boost inverter, I assume that the Cybertruck will do the same.
I even wonder if the Semi could use also a 400 V Supercharger, as previous snapshots of prototypes showed it.

Last edited:
I think the Plaid Plus is ready to go. I believe Tesla is waiting on someone to announce something close in price and power. Then Tesla will announce a 1600 hp Plaid plus along with some other goodies for around 25k more. Just me guessing and thinking.

I think the Plaid Plus is ready to go. I believe Tesla is waiting on someone to announce something close in price and power. Then Tesla will announce a 1600 hp Plaid plus along with some other goodies for around 25k more. Just me guessing and thinking.
Next in line will be Bentley. My sources say the VW group finished dismantling, reverse engineering the PLAID and conclusions go into the next Bentley ev. supercar. Then maybe Bugatti (with Rimac), guess Elon will wait until those are launched, then smackdown.....

There shouldn't be a Plaid plus, there should be a FTP (Faster Than Plaid) with 4 motors instead of 3 = 1200hp
I would be more in favour of a 500+ miles range.

While waiting for the new Tesla Roadster, a Model S "FTP" would certainly outstanding but would cover only a very niche market.
And also, unless driving on private road or North Dakota, you would rarely be able to use those 1200 HPs.
See video below.

Man arrested for driving 150 MPH in rented Lamborghini (By a CHP riding a motorcycle !!!)​

Last edited:
I believe 800v/1000V is somewhat of a red-herring for moderate-sized batteries (100 kWh or less). The voltage is really not all that important, it's the power that is available to charge (volts * amps). It's been used by marketing that it's somehow better than 400v systems. For example a 400V 625 Amp charge is no different than a 800V 312 Amp charge. Production might save a few dollars with thinner wires, but you need thicker/more expensive insulation for an 800/1000V system and the electronics can be more expensive to support 800V.

The 400V/800V pack charging voltage has no effect either on charging speed. That's totally dependent on the cells used (~4.2v) and the charge currents that you allow with a tradeoff on longevity. I'm simplifying it a bit, but by itself, an 800V system could be better or worse than a 400V system and is mostly used as a marketing game for those that don't understand the engineering behind it. With the Semi, and its huge battery, 1000V makes a lot of sense to provide 1 MW charging power.

Then there is the reliability issue. The higher the voltage the more cells are in series. An 800V system has twice as many cells in series as a 400V system. If you remember from the old days of a series Christmas tree light string, when one bulb fails the entire string fails. Same for the pack. Should one of the links fails, the entire battery fails. This is twice as likely in an 800V system as in a 400V system. Fortunately, this is an exceptionally rare event, so I'm not that worried about it.

Lastly, if you have to include an upconverter to go from 400V to 800V to allow the use of 95% of the charging stations that only support 400V, you have yet another component that adds cost and could fail. And such a converter is not 100% efficient, so you add losses when you charge.

While waiting for the new Tesla Roadster, a Model S "FTP" would certainly outstanding but would cover only a very niche market.
And also, unless driving on private road or North Dakota, you would rarely be able to use those 1200 HPs.
See video below.

I would be more in favour of a 500+ miles range.

Man arrested for driving 150 MPH in rented Lamborghini (By a CHP riding a motorcycle !!!)

You know how it is. People go to get the Plaid plus and cannot afford it and end up in a Model S. Halo car mission accomplished.

If you remember from the old days of a series Christmas tree light string, when one bulb fails the entire string fails. Same for the pack. Should one of the links fails, the entire battery fails. This is twice as likely in an 800V system as in a 400V system.

Sorry, but I think the opposite is the true.

Each cell in the MS and MX pack is connected to a bus bar by a thin wire that acts as a fuse. If a cell drops out, there will be loss of voltage that will be noticed by the BMS, but the module, and certainly the pack, will not suddenly fail.

More cells in parallel, the less effect of a single cell dropping out.

Sorry, but I think the opposite is the true.

Each cell in the MS and MX pack is connected to a bus bar by a thin wire that acts as a fuse. If a cell drops out, there will be loss of voltage that will be noticed by the BMS, but the module, and certainly the pack, will not suddenly fail.

More cells in parallel, the less effect of a single cell dropping out.
You and @vcor are saying the same thing. Cells in series increase the overall pack voltage. Cells in parallel "increase" capacity. Or rather reduce the current that each cell has to provide for a given load. The BMS can better tolerate the loss of a cell in parallel, less so in series.