Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid problems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have owned 3 Teslas now with my 2022 Model S Plaid being the latest. I recently sold my 2021 Plaid back to Tesla as it was a lemon and Tesla stepped right up and bought it back with no hassle.

My 2022 is now having similar issues before my battery pack went bad in my last car. Random errors on the dash (no assist for steering, no assist for parking) and the navigation shows its navigating without data. I can connect to the car remotely using the app with no problem. Service appointment in a few days.

Are the plaids cursed? Am I cursed? Whats going on here?

Any feedback (good or bad) is welcome.

Definitely cursed :eek: Only one thing left to do. Sacrifice a chicken to the electric gods. You can use the following steps:
  • Pick up the chicken and let it cool
  • Warm up in microwave
  • set up sacrificial table in front of Tesla
  • Place chicken on table
  • Stab it with a knife (and fork)
  • Enjoy
I personally like to use Kentucky Fried chicken (dark meat). Chick-fil-A might also be good. :D

Reactions: KyleDay and LJG0053
Update: Tesla believes its tied to me using a chargepoint charger (at Disneys Animal Kingdom) and are replacing my computer. I drove 2 hours home today without a single problem. They called me to tell me they remote accessed the car and diagnosed it and have ordered the new computer. Theyll swap it first of next week. Cursed I guess!

And to be clear, I had a model 3 for 2 years without a single problem. Not a single thing. Easily the most reliable car I've ever owned. I'm confident this is a one off and I'll be good to go after this swap.

I wish I had you luck. I have a 2021 Plaid and it came all screwed up. No clear on front half of the car, dashboard incorrectly mounted, windshield was not seated and front fender was not on correctly. Also, one of the headlights was all foggy and looked like a chemical ate it or burned it. They fixed and or replaced everything and it took almost a month. I argued and argued for them to buy it back and give me a new one. No luck. I hate the car. I put it on Turo and I hope someone wrecks it.

Yeah, I've had a long string of problems that they haven't been able to fix. 5 service visits already. More to come. All problems from delivery 7 months ago. The manufacturing is garbage. The Model 3 seems to not have nearly as many manufacturing problems.

Brought in my car 3 days ago to have two tires replaced - they had screws in them. Still don't have the car back. Tesla service over the last 2-3 has gone to crap.

While it was there, they discovered that there was moisture in the front radar sensor, so they wanted to replace it. Now when I originally dropped the car off, they told me I could wait if I wanted, but it would be about 2 hours. On one hand, great that they're doing some proactive maintenance, but on the other, they didn't ask me if it was ok that I wouldn't have my car and it was working fine when I brought it in. Besides all of that, for the last two days he's been telling me that it's almost done, they're just finishing up. And they've been calibrating the radar.

Looking at the app, they're driving it around a lot, the in service graphic shows the car in motion. I suspect that they're doing the calibration we all probably had to go through when we first got the car for like ~50 miles or so.

Quick update: They just messaged me and said this is a different type of calibration for the front radar. He said "Seems like the car computer is having some difficultly accepting the new radar and DAS system is presenting some delays."

Hi all,

I have owned 3 Teslas now with my 2022 Model S Plaid being the latest. I recently sold my 2021 Plaid back to Tesla as it was a lemon and Tesla stepped right up and bought it back with no hassle.

My 2022 is now having similar issues before my battery pack went bad in my last car. Random errors on the dash (no assist for steering, no assist for parking) and the navigation shows its navigating without data. I can connect to the car remotely using the app with no problem. Service appointment in a few days.

Are the plaids cursed? Am I cursed? Whats going on here?

Any feedback (good or bad) is welcome.
You just got unlucky. Go to the Lucid owners forum and having a Tesla will make you feel better.

yeah true, OP is very unlucky. so far the confirmed issues that multiple Plaid owners reporting are:

- Rear Passenger seat rattle --> easy fixed at home till Tesla have an official SB.
- Low speed rattle 38-42MPH with slight acceleration --> Tesla is ignoring us who reported this and they said normal so we are keeping an eye on it if it got worse (5 months with 6k miles and still the same subtle issue)
- Weird back tire wear from the inner side.

There might be other issues but those are the ones I seen multiple reports about in the forums and experienced my self (1 and 2 so far and knock on wood not 3 as it could be due to just bad alignment from the factory to bunch of cars)

I personally experienced an issue that couple of X Plaid owner reported where the car gets stuck in a reboot during SuperCharging when it was hot. Tesla replaced my computer quickly then later that week they shipped an OTA (Tesla to roll out OTA update to address infotainment system display issue) and since then never happened again so not sure if it was the computer or just the OTA that fixed it.

yeah true, OP is very unlucky. so far the confirmed issues that multiple Plaid owners reporting are:

- Rear Passenger seat rattle --> easy fixed at home till Tesla have an official SB.
- Low speed rattle 38-42MPH with slight acceleration --> Tesla is ignoring us who reported this and they said normal so we are keeping an eye on it if it got worse (5 months with 6k miles and still the same subtle issue)
- Weird back tire wear from the inner side.

There might be other issues but those are the ones I seen multiple reports about in the forums and experienced my self (1 and 2 so far and knock on wood not 3 as it could be due to just bad alignment from the factory to bunch of cars)

I personally experienced an issue that couple of X Plaid owner reported where the car gets stuck in a reboot during SuperCharging when it was hot. Tesla replaced my computer quickly then later that week they shipped an OTA (Tesla to roll out OTA update to address infotainment system display issue) and since then never happened again so not sure if it was the computer or just the OTA that fixed it.
Yeah, the vibration between 40-50 mph is really annoying. It can be hidden if you lower the car using lowering links.

Also, check your center console cubby lights. Most of them are backwards. They turn off when you open the lid and turn on when you close it. I just dropped off my car again to have them try and fix it. They've already replaced the console once to try and fix it, but they made it worse. The cup holder trays don't slide and the lights are still backwards.

Yeah, the vibration between 40-50 mph is really annoying. It can be hidden if you lower the car using lowering links.

Also, check your center console cubby lights. Most of them are backwards. They turn off when you open the lid and turn on when you close it. I just dropped off my car again to have them try and fix it. They've already replaced the console once to try and fix it, but they made it worse. The cup holder trays don't slide and the lights are still backwards.
wow yeah the lights in the inner cubby are backward (the top level one are correct but the one under it is backward).

Is it confiremd that Tesla can fix it without making it worse? I really don not want them to take the whole console a part and not put it back to together correctly where it starts to rattle :)

Thanks n2mb! Mine has been lowered from the start and no half shaft issues for me. I was wondering if I was just lucky......

There are some minor things with my Plaid stemming from less than stellar build quality but otherwise it has been a good car. I've got about 25k miles on it and even have the Sport 4S I started on which is unusual for me (from previous Model S). It seems as though Tesla got the rear camber problem fixed at least on my car.

Background - we are going on an eight Model S family. Company interface still crap but the cars have been great.

Thanks n2mb! Mine has been lowered from the start and no half shaft issues for me. I was wondering if I was just lucky......

There are some minor things with my Plaid stemming from less than stellar build quality but otherwise it has been a good car. I've got about 25k miles on it and even have the Sport 4S I started on which is unusual for me (from previous Model S). It seems as though Tesla got the rear camber problem fixed at least on my car.

Background - we are going on an eight Model S family. Company interface still crap but the cars have been great.
I forgot, how much did you lower yours? And do you have other mods besides lowering links?