Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid range discussion.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh.

In other matters, does anyone know what an HV battery replacement entails by way of removing parts? I got PPF installed after delivery and wanted to be prepared to look closely at any body panels that were removed to perform the repair. My thought is it's completely under the car, but I thought I'd check.
I don't think it's changed much from the automated battery swap demonstration other than today it is done manually at the Service Center and a few parts have changed since then.

Reactions: BobbyRitz
Wow. My pack was ordered last Saturday and arrived at the SC on Tuesday. Tesla's lack of consistency on this is concerning. Makes me wonder where my pack came from to arrive so quickly and the backstory with respect to yours.
Original completion date was Thursday 9/30. It got bumped to today. And they just called to tell me the earliest date is now Wednesday. They made it a point to say this will be the first refresh battery swap. They are certainly not inspiring a lot of confidence. :rolleyes:

Range is awful on the plaid. My 3rd S. 100DL, 100DL Raven, Plaid 19".
Raven was a noticeable improvement from my first.
Plaid is not good. I got it with 19's and then switched to 20's with EV tires that got me good range on the Raven.
Right now trying to drive normal I'm getting 310 watts/m and I got in the Raven to check it.... 240. which is excellent but I was always in the 200's. Can't get in the 200's in the Plaid. Very disappointing.

Reactions: Jabbahop
Spoke with the service manager today re: my HV battery replacement. He assured me that I'll get my car back Wednesday. I've had my car for a total of 9 out of 31 days I've owned it.
If I get my car back on the 11th as they are planning, of the 6 weeks I've owned it, 3 weeks it's been in service.
I actually got a call from the SC manager, because his Regional manager was "notified" of the situation of our packs.
He was really really nice, tried to see if there's anything he could do. I just asked why it was such a long wait to get a battery for a car that they manufacture 1000 units a week of.
It was a rhetorical question, but he started to tell me about logistics and what not.
Either way, he suggested that the pack is on target for the 11th and he would do his best to get me the car the same day.
He also insisted that they would detail the car before it got back to me. I told him that would be nice, thanks!

Reactions: BobbyRitz
Just got my car back with a new HV battery pack. Range at the SC showed 331 miles at 88% (which equals 376 miles at full charge). A total of 23 miles home used 7% battery (using 376 miles at full charge 7% would equal 26 miles so the math seems okay). As an EV newbie, does anyone have any thoughts?
Drive longer distances, keep track of your starting range, ending range, and consumption (Wh/mi) then report back. Then we can see how your new battery pack is performing.

Just got my car back with a new HV battery pack. Range at the SC showed 331 miles at 88% (which equals 376 miles at full charge). A total of 23 miles home used 7% battery (using 376 miles at full charge 7% would equal 26 miles so the math seems okay). As an EV newbie, does anyone have any thoughts?
Hard to say at this stage. I’d suggest charging to 90%, see if it doesn’t overcharge, and leave overnight for a small amount of cell balancing to take place at 90%. It may take a few days of being left for extended periods of time to fully balance. See if your range changes then. Do keep us posted!

Drive longer distances, keep track of your starting range, ending range, and consumption (Wh/mi) then report back. Then we can see how your new battery pack is performing.
Will do. I have a client meeting 54 miles away tomorrow. Total trip will be 4 times my normal daily commute. Consumption for the 25 mile ride back was 276 Wh/mi. I'll begin tracking it closely.

Reactions: byeLT4
Hard to say at this stage. I’d suggest charging to 90%, see if it doesn’t overcharge, and leave overnight for a small amount of cell balancing to take place at 90%. It may take a few days of being left for extended periods of time to fully balance. See if your range changes then. Do keep us posted!
Roger that. I'll charge to 90% tonight.

Reactions: WilliamG
Roger that. I'll charge to 90% tonight.
Good man. You should see some cell balancing take place overnight. Make a note of the range (in miles) remaining at 90% when it’s done charging, and then tomorrow (leave the car sleeping as long as possible). I can speak from experience and from monitoring TeslaMate that this does balance the cells (if they’re able to be balanced).

Reactions: Muzzman1
Good man. You should see some cell balancing take place overnight. Make a note of the range (in miles) remaining at 90% when it’s done charging, and then tomorrow (leave the car sleeping as long as possible). I can speak from experience and from monitoring TeslaMate that this does balance the cells (if they’re able to be balanced).
It's set to start charging at 3am. Should I adjust the start to an earlier time so it sits at 90% for a longer period overnight?