Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid range discussion.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is so broken. Here's a recap of my evening:

Left the house at 86% charge. Drove out to Port Orchard. Arrived at 67% charge. Got out of car for about 10 minutes, Sentry was on. Got back in car. Car now reports 60% charge (wtf?).

I drive home, but stop at the grocery store for about 5 minutes (charge is now 40%). Get back in car, - it's reading 37% (wtf?).

I continue my journey home (a half mile away), and arrive home still at 37%. I get out of car (not plugging it in), but take a snapshot of the charge level in the app - 37%. 13 minutes later it's now reading 32%, without me having done anything, and Sentry is not enabled at home.

Trip stats:

122 miles, 283kWh average, and only 35kWh used. I drove like a grandma looking for as much range as possible. So, 55% battery for 122 miles. That equals 220 miles at full charge.

What an abomination this car is.

This is the exact same behavior for my drives yesterday. Took pics of stats pages too
Left at 100% Range charged hoping it would level things off
1st drive 60 miles 1:13 mins .254wh/mi 15Kwh ended at 80% (very good)!!
Car sits for 10 mins. Look again it's at 75%!! (not good)
Drove back 121mi .308wh/mi
Ended with 121mils 34KWH .283wh/mi 50%

In other words it used 50% to go 121miles at .283wh/mi.

If I were in my old 85D I would have been at exactly 55% with the battery degraded at 100k miles.

So My plaid's BMS is whack!! Or hopefully not my Pack!!

Attachments

• IMG_4352.jpeg
    IMG_4352.jpeg
    855.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
This is the exact same behavior for my drives yesterday. Took pics of stats pages too
Left at 100% Range charged hoping it would level things off
1st drive 60 miles 1:13 mins .254wh/mi 15Kwh ended at 80% (very good)!!
Car sits for 10 mins. Look again it's at 75%!! (not good)
Drove back 121mi .308wh/mi
Ended with 121mils 34KWH .283wh/mi 50%

In other words it used 50% to go 121miles at .283wh/mi.

If I were in my old 85D I would have been at exactly 55% with the battery degraded at 100k miles.

So My plaid's BMS is whack!! Or hopefully not my Pack!!
Yeah… this is really annoying. Could easily have left me stranded if I hadn’t been paying attention.

Interesting we both drove about the same distance!

Attachments

• B4F342FD-E6C4-40DF-A915-6C3D7243F862.jpeg
    B4F342FD-E6C4-40DF-A915-6C3D7243F862.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 25A716E8-7293-4B4D-9CB9-00BFC9889E54.jpeg
    25A716E8-7293-4B4D-9CB9-00BFC9889E54.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 53
  • D56E5273-00B1-4060-9531-35EA71FB8D3A.jpeg
    D56E5273-00B1-4060-9531-35EA71FB8D3A.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 47
This morning, it charged to 80% and stayed there! I was like ok, progress!. I took a friend out for a couple launches, came back at 76%, so I plugged it back in to 90%. So far it's been sitting for about 30 mins and it's already up to 92%.
For whatever reason I cannot get back in to Dyno Mode, so I cannot see what the BMS's is showing.

Anyone have any suggestions to get back into Dyno Mode??

This morning, it charged to 80% and stayed there! I was like ok, progress!. I took a friend out for a couple launches, came back at 76%, so I plugged it back in to 90%. So far it's been sitting for about 30 mins and it's already up to 92%.
For whatever reason I cannot get back in to Dyno Mode, so I cannot see what the BMS's is showing.

I haven’t tried to get back in since I don’t want to mess with it while the service team is monitoring my charging data. Anyone else chime in on this? Is it possible to get back into Dynomode once accessed a single time?

You sure you typed "dynotest" and not "dynomode"?

My car failed the 90% charge test. Car stopped charging at 86%, contactors cycling on and off over and over and over. I stopped the charge from the app and over 12 minutes the car’s display SoC kept creeping up to 100%! Insane! I checked dynomode again today and it shows my full battery as 82kWh… The other day I checked it was 90kWh.

Also interesting the dynomode data suggests my car is sitting at 88% SoC but the car’s “regular” percentage in the driver's dash is showing 100%! What a mess…

Attachments

• 1630710280631.jpeg
    1630710280631.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 1630710287910.jpeg
    1630710287910.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Informative
Reactions: jebinc
You sure you typed "dynotest" and not "dynomode"?

My car failed the 90% charge test. Car stopped charging at 86%, contactors cycling on and off over and over and over. I stopped the charge from the app and over 12 minutes the car’s display SoC kept creeping up to 100%! Insane! I checked dynomode again today and it shows my full battery as 82kWh… The other day I checked it was 90kWh.

Also interesting the dynomode data suggests my car is sitting at 88% SoC but the car’s “regular” percentage in the driver's dash is showing 100%! What a mess…
Wow. I'm really sorry to hear of the issues you are having with your car. It does sound at least partially software related to me so hopefully fixes are coming soon.

Wow. I'm really sorry to hear of the issues you are having with your car. It does sound at least partially software related to me so hopefully fixes are coming soon.

Yeah. Got a call from Tesla tech just now. He wants me to leave the car plugged in now - it's at 100%. Leave the SoC charge-to level at 90%, - don't connect to the car - let it sleep, and do its balancing thing. So, I've logged out of the app, disabled Sentry etc - zero connection to the car. Just letting it sit, plugged in. I'll do that for 48 hours. He doesn't think it's a hardware issue. Well, we'll see...

Yeah. Got a call from Tesla tech just now. He wants me to leave the car plugged in now - it's at 100%. Leave the SoC charge-to level at 90%, - don't connect to the car - let it sleep, and do its balancing thing. So, I've logged out of the app, disabled Sentry etc - zero connection to the car. Just letting it sit, plugged in. I'll do that for 48 hours. He doesn't think it's a hardware issue. Well, we'll see...
Best of luck with the Tesla pseudoscience project!

Great, so after this procedure, you will have full battery capacity and normal depletion rates, guaranteed (since they’ve seen this before and this is the fix)? Good deal!
Well that’s the idea. They’ll exhaust this avenue before going on to the next idea (probably a new battery, I’d imagine). We’ll see! He said the battery looks fine on his end, so that gives me hope… (I guess!).

I wish I did't "need" to drive the car, so I could let it sit at 100% and balance the cells as well. I just can't be without the car for the next few weeks.
Im playing catch up after having no car since June when they told me I would take delivery, and sold my old MS..

In any case, mine is probably just as bad as your @WilliamG so hopefully yours gets resolved and mine will follow.

I wish I did't "need" to drive the car, so I could let it sit at 100% and balance the cells as well. I just can't be without the car for the next few weeks.
Im playing catch up after having no car since June when they told me I would take delivery, and sold my old MS..

In any case, mine is probably just as bad as your @WilliamG so hopefully yours gets resolved and mine will follow.

Yeah ours are behaving the same. I’ll for sure keep you updated as to whether this works. It’s certainly an inconvenience to not drive the car a few days, I can tell you, but needs must. For science…

Reactions: Muzzman1
Some new observations.
Car is still charging more than stated charge setting. Climbs up after charging stops. Im now monitoring on TeslaFi, so I can get a better idea of what's going on.
Things are actually going in the wrong direction. My pack is now showing 77.4 total pack energy, down from 83. (I was able to get back into dyno mode after a couple days)
My Max charge with 19" wheels is down to 311, from 349.

So, my balancing is headed in the wrong direction.

Still waiting to hear from the SC.

IMG_4363.jpeg

Some new observations.
Car is still charging more than stated charge setting. Climbs up after charging stops. Im now monitoring on TeslaFi, so I can get a better idea of what's going on.
Things are actually going in the wrong direction. My pack is now showing 77.4 total pack energy, down from 83. (I was able to get back into dyno mode after a couple days)
My Max charge with 19" wheels is down to 311, from 349.

So, my balancing is headed in the wrong direction.

Still waiting to hear from the SC.

View attachment 705163

Yes, mine headed in the wrong way from the first Dyno Mode entry. Was 90.3kWh the first time a few days back. Now 82.8kWh as of yesterday afternoon (though in practical terms I still get the same awful 200-220miles actual range, with the car stating between 295 miles and 310 miles predicted range). Still overcharging horribly. Can you set the charge to 90% and it actually charge to there successfully if you monitor it? Set your notifications in the app to let you know if charging is interrupted/stopped. Both times this week I set to 90% it crapped out at 83% and 86% respectively. I then shut off charging and the car continued to climb to 100% SoC over the next 10-15 mins.

I’m pretty convinced we need new battery packs. Quite honestly would like a new car at this point (the number of issues keeps growing daily, and I’ve not been able to enjoy this car since day 1).

Attachments

• 8B334616-C86C-4510-9DCE-7C52C8F31642.jpeg
    8B334616-C86C-4510-9DCE-7C52C8F31642.jpeg
    354.2 KB · Views: 47