Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid range discussion.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on my history with my Wife's MX, we will not get new packs. They are going to say it's just a software issue and pound sand.

Mine charges to 100% without issue. I have notifications on, and I def do not get the charging issues you are having.
I suggest plugging it into 110v and seeing if the anomaly goes away. I remember seeing that it have you a error indicating one of your phases did not have power. Im suggesting you have a HPWC issue of a wiring issue. EVEN THOUGH, it charged perfect on your M3, it can happen.

Based on my history with my Wife's MX, we will not get new packs. They are going to say it's just a software issue and pound sand.

Mine charges to 100% without issue. I have notifications on, and I def do not get the charging issues you are having.
I suggest plugging it into 110v and seeing if the anomaly goes away. I remember seeing that it have you a error indicating one of your phases did not have power. Im suggesting you have a HPWC issue of a wiring issue. EVEN THOUGH, it charged perfect on your M3, it can happen.
It’s not a HPWC issue. I now have a new Gen 3 HPWC since a couple of days ago (yep, really - for different reasons), and still have the same issue. The Tesla tech remote diagnosing the problems said it wasn’t an issue with my charging apparatus.

Reactions: jebinc
Yikes. So, obv that indicates you have multiple issue with the car. Remember, they will make it right. Don't fret.
Especially since our cars are new. With my wife's MX we had 30k on it.
The issues are endless. I probably need the whole charge port replaced now for poor signal from the charge connector (have to be basically touching the charge port door to have it open with the button on the HPWC - might as well push the flap with my hand!

Maybe while they’re replacing the battery pack they can do that. 🙄

I really hope you get your car figured out but I am skeptical after you said that you have problems with selecting charging slider in the app. It seems you have a lot of issues which maybe are user error or combination of two things.

• Disagree
I really hope you get your car figured out but I am skeptical after you said that you have problems with selecting charging slider in the app. It seems you have a lot of issues which maybe are user error or combination of two things.

The charging slider on iOS on an iPhone 12 Pro Max being a little tricky to slide is not indicative of anything “user error” when it comes to my car not charging correctly or working correctly in lots of other way. I have honestly no idea why you’d even bring that up.

Reactions: byeLT4 and jebinc
The charging slider on iOS on an iPhone 12 Pro Max being a little tricky to slide is not indicative of anything “user error” when it comes to my car not charging correctly or working correctly in lots of other way. I have honestly no idea why you’d even bring that up.
I wish you luck of getting your problems resolved ASAP! I would be upset too if I spent 130k on the car that wasn’t working as it should be.

Reactions: jebinc and WilliamG
Not sure what you mean about being down 20%. I'm only doing an 80% charge. EPA estimate is 396 for a full trip charge. I'm about 11% off the full EPA estimate. 356 miles for an 80% daily charge is really good.
I can't go back and edit an old post so I'll correct myself here. I've been misreading the scale for charging. I've been doing 90% charges not 80%. 356 at 90% is still pretty good and much closer to Tesla's 396.

Really want to hear what Tesla tells folks that are getting such low numbers.

And here's the update after leaving the car at 90% (well, 100% because of the overcharge problem) for 48 hours. It made no difference at all. Rated range at 100% is 298 miles, and I don't even need to drive the car to know nothing is fixed because... powers of deduction. So now I wait till the remote tech is back in the office on Tuesday, - 5 weeks after picking up the car and it's never worked. I wonder how many months it will be till the issue is resolved?

Good luck with it. My charges seem to be accurate (e.g. if I set it at home to charge to 80 or 90% or to 100% it goes there). However I do drain about 20% for a 52 miles drive so that's what...260 mile range. It's hard to keep the power in check. I'm assuming the 346 mile range (or hitting 300 miles) is only feasible if you drove it in the equivalent of "chill" mode the entire charge yes?

Flat Florida roads and 21" wheel and Plaid.

Good luck with it. My charges seem to be accurate (e.g. if I set it at home to charge to 80 or 90% or to 100% it goes there). However I do drain about 20% for a 52 miles drive so that's what...260 mile range. It's hard to keep the power in check. I'm assuming the 346 mile range (or hitting 300 miles) is only feasible if you drove it in the equivalent of "chill" mode the entire charge yes?

Flat Florida roads and 21" wheel and Plaid.
You can check your trip data to see how many Wh/mi you’re using.

I have a lead foot but this is what the dash shows...

Current Trip

Distance

3 mi

Duration

6 min

Avg. Energy 368 Wh/mi

Since Last Charge

Distance

0 mi

Total Energy

0 kWh

Avg. Energy O Wh/mi

Trip Distance

Distance

618 mi

Total Energy 272 kWh

Avg. Energy 440 Wh/mi

Total Mileage

Distance 1,229 mi

Total Energy 538 kWh

Avg. Energy 438 Wh/mi

• Funny
Reactions: WilliamG
I have a lead foot but this is what the dash shows...

Current Trip

Distance

3 mi

Duration

6 min

Avg. Energy 368 Wh/mi

Since Last Charge

Distance

0 mi

Total Energy

0 kWh

Avg. Energy O Wh/mi

Trip Distance

Distance

618 mi

Total Energy 272 kWh

Avg. Energy 440 Wh/mi

Total Mileage

Distance 1,229 mi

Total Energy 538 kWh

Avg. Energy 438 Wh/mi
Definitely a lead foot! Cheers.

Here are my Model S Plaid 19" results for the first road trip:

That is the same trip I made in both my Model 3P+ and my P85DL 19". Both of those were well above 300 Wh/mi. With the Plaid I easily drove 250 miles without going below 20% SOC. The notable thing, from my perspective Is that I have yet to Supercharge since there were chargers every place I stayed.

IMG_0141.jpeg

A handful of other comments about my new Plaid 19".

Listening to An American in Paris in the Michael Tilson Thomas New York Philharmonic version was the best sound experience I have had since my obscenely excessive home system.

I collected a nail at a marina I visited and ended out calling Tesla roadside service because I doubted anybody would have those Pirelli Elect in stock. The Tesla mobile tire truck arrived in less that a half hour, fixed my tire, and charged $81. That would be expensive perhaps in a sore someplace. When they came to my location, replied the car quickly and professionally I thought it was the bargain of the decade, not least because I was able to make the meeting I had booked that afternoon on time, I had given up getting there on time.

I charged to 100% just to find out the rated range. Tesla Remote gave me 399 Rated and 303 Estimated.
That was much better than I expected, above Tesla EPA rated 396.

I will not discuss the performance, since everyone else has been doing that. I can only say that I am much more impressed that I expected to be, partly because the overall responsiveness matches my former standard, a Lotus Elan (Responsiveness only, otherwise the Elan was rather amazingly trouble prone).

Another often ignored element is the spaciousness and storage available. This car has swallowed everything I stuffed in my Model 3 while still having the trunk empty.

Did anybody mention it actually comes with the USB stick needed for Sentry?

I do have an irritant. I cannot find an Energy page, like all Teslas have had until now. Bummer! I use that page nearly every trip I take. Tesla Remote helps but it is not the same. Trips and the nav full route has expected arrival SOC, but I want my Energy page!

Here are my Model S Plaid 19" results for the first road trip:

That is the same trip I made in both my Model 3P+ and my P85DL 19". Both of those were well above 300 Wh/mi. With the Plaid I easily drove 250 miles without going below 20% SOC. The notable thing, from my perspective Is that I have yet to Supercharge since there were chargers every place I stayed.

View attachment 706865
Looking at Current Trip, you drove... 214mi/3.67hr = 58 mph on average to get 287 Wh/mi. Not too shabby!

I would be curios to find out what range are you all getting. With 21" wheels it's costing me 1.6 miles for every 1 mile traveled. I drive about 50% highway and city to and from work. It's a 100 mile round trip and I charge at home to 90% and consistently loose 160 miles of charge. Percentage wise it drops from 90% to about 40% by the time I make it home. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!