Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid range discussion.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the usage snapshot. Lifetime average 313 Wh/mi.

IMG_9262.JPG

Looks like the gauge is lying to you.

If the pack's capacity is ~100kwh, your actual consumption is about 500wh/mi if you use 50% in 100 miles.

Or if your average consumption is 313wh/mi then your battery actually has about 62kwh if you can empty it in 200 miles.
The key will be his range data from in the Display menu. Hopefully he doesn’t have the severe battery issue some of us have.

My rated range at 90% is 306 miles. When at 100% it shows about 337-338 miles.

My "Full Pack Energy" is 94.1 kWh

With about 1700 miles on the car my lifetime is 370 Wh/Mile per Teslafi.

Last edited:
Nothing too crazy. What are you seeing for percentage/miles in Display settings? (get both numbers, please).
Last trip it used 61% for 141 miles. Or 21% for 51 miles is my daily one way. Total battery capacity according to Tessie app is 93.7kWh. I should mention that I'm not driving with max mileage in mind. Traffic flow on the freeway is around 80 miles/hr where I spend half of my commute time. Looks like if I drive the car from 90% to 10% charge it might get 200 miles.

IMG_BD980D9411C0-1.jpeg

Last trip it used 61% for 141 miles. Or 21% for 51 miles is my daily one way. Total battery capacity according to Tessie app is 93.7kWh. I should mention that I'm not driving with max mileage in mind. Traffic flow on the freeway is around 80 miles/hr where I spend half of my commute time. Looks like if I drive the car from 90% to 10% charge it might get 200 miles.

View attachment 713148
Can you give us the display settings from the car for miles and percentage now?

You sure you typed "dynotest" and not "dynomode"?

My car failed the 90% charge test. Car stopped charging at 86%, contactors cycling on and off over and over and over. I stopped the charge from the app and over 12 minutes the car’s display SoC kept creeping up to 100%! Insane! I checked dynomode again today and it shows my full battery as 82kWh… The other day I checked it was 90kWh.

Also interesting the dynomode data suggests my car is sitting at 88% SoC but the car’s “regular” percentage in the driver's dash is showing 100%! What a mess…
This happened last night.

Short story is I charged to 95% prior to leaving my house in MD yesterday morning for an overnight stay in Atlantic City, NJ. First stop was golf 118 miles away. Consumption was 60% on this leg. Another 12 miles to the hotel and I was at 26% when I arrived. The hotel had a gen 2 Tesla charger so I plugged in (with charge still set to 95%). After dinner, I checked the app and it had blown through the limit and charged to 100% (with range of 231 miles). I unplugged the charger around 11pm and plugged it back in this morning.

I left the hotel at 11am and it had charged back to 95% (with range of 222 miles). A total of 148 miles back to my house (SOC was supposed to be 13% upon arrival). I got home with 16% and got the attached message. I had already moved the charge limit to 80% so who knows what will happen.

I'm scheduled for service on 10/7. They are going to look at battery diagnostics in the interim. I know this will be taken care of, but it isn't a good first impression making the switch from ICE to EV.

Attachments

• B4FA5BDC-39CE-4B19-8C1B-49263A3CC7B3.jpeg
    B4FA5BDC-39CE-4B19-8C1B-49263A3CC7B3.jpeg
    394.9 KB · Views: 66
This happened last night.

Short story is I charged to 95% prior to leaving my house in MD yesterday morning for an overnight stay in Atlantic City, NJ. First stop was golf 118 miles away. Consumption was 60% on this leg. Another 12 miles to the hotel and I was at 26% when I arrived. The hotel had a gen 2 Tesla charger so I plugged in (with charge still set to 95%). After dinner, I checked the app and it had blown through the limit and charged to 100% (with range of 231 miles). I unplugged the charger around 11pm and plugged it back in this morning.

I left the hotel at 11am and it had charged back to 95% (with range of 222 miles). A total of 148 miles back to my house (SOC was supposed to be 13% upon arrival). I got home with 16% and got the attached message. I had already moved the charge limit to 80% so who knows what will happen.

I'm scheduled for service on 10/7. They are going to look at battery diagnostics in the interim. I know this will be taken care of, but it isn't a good first impression making the switch from ICE to EV.

Gah! That’s a new HV battery needed, guaranteed. Seeing way too many of these lately. What is going on with Tesla’s battery QC?!

@WilliamG My issue sounds similar to yours. Where do you stand with the SC?

Still a work in progress.
@WilliamG my apologies as I do not fully speak Tesla or EV yet. I assume HV is high voltage? What does that mean? What is an HV battery as compared to the battery pack(s)? How can I ensure I'm getting good info from the SC when they start feeding me lines?

High voltage battery - the large main battery. The good news is that this will be an easy diagnosis given the error message, and they will likely order a new battery for you soon after they receive the car into service. @Muzzman1 is going through this right now.

Thanks @WilliamG! This is all foreign to me. I do appreciate the shared information on this forum. I don't know what I would do without it!
Of course. We were all there once. Sorry you had to experience this problem. The good news is replacing the HV battery should only take a couple of hours. In theory it should only be in service for a day, though I hope they have a loaner for you as the time to get the battery in is a factor. Your car will likely not charge up very much at this point.

Reactions: byeLT4 and jebinc
Of course. We were all there once. Sorry you had to experience this problem. The good news is replacing the HV battery should only take a couple of hours. In theory it should only be in service for a day, though I hope they have a loaner for you as the time to get the battery in is a factor. Your car will likely not charge up very much at this point.
Now my gen 3 WC is charging at 11A / 8 mi/hr. 🙄
F4548C9B-F5FE-41A6-9641-662E86AE427A.jpeg

...and getting worse.
72F9A6CE-A7C9-4185-8C8A-8412E24758A8.jpeg