Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid to rent in late August

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought that I would post this on Father's Day, since we're all feeling special today!! I know some lucky people have already or will soon receive their new, fantastically fast Model S Plaid (sorry to those who ordered the Plaid+ and won't receive a car in this decade). My oldest son turns 50 later this summer and he has been a Tesla owner since the very beginning--he now owns a Model X and a Model 3. I've owned a Model S for 4 years and love it. I live in the midwest, and my son lives in the east Bay area. I'll be coming to visit him and his family in late August (likely Aug. 21-29th, but we are still flexible!!). and I'd love to be able to rent a Model S Plaid for a day to drive around the area. We've visited the factory together with our families and we do have a contact. I called the factory and was told that all Plaids will go directly to customers for the foreseeable future, so none will be available for even a test drive for a long, long time. Thus, if any of you lucky people would be willing to rent out your prized possession for a day, please contact me. It will help make a great birthday present!

LouS

I'll be honest. Its not going to happen.

Turo is your best bet and its primarily filled with two types of people who rent cars: 1) 'businesses' who rent a fleet of 3-8 years old luxury/performance cars.. 2) people who probably cant afford their car payment in the first place.. and rent out their car to help pay bills. The former is likely somebody who has a friend/cousin/etc with a dealers license and gets a great deal on auction cars.. rents them out for profit and buy/sells them often to generate some sort of income.

Anybody buying the latest & greatest $130K Plaid.. has been waiting almost half a year on their car.. is probably both fairly well off financially.. and also a serious Tesla enthusiast. No way they are renting out their most precious new baby.. which is probably still waiting to be delivered.. and is literally the fastest (quickest) car money can buy (at least from the factory) right now.. to some random stranger. And all for what $400-500 bucks a day?

Finally.. There is only one reason someone will even be trying to rent what is basically the fastest car in the world right now.. and that's to see how fast it is. This means they are going to drive the living sh*t outta it.. probably use up $400 in tires alone lol. Give it another year or so and you might have a chance at it. I was interested in doing the same for the 2020 Corvette C8 when debuted back in late 2019.. and it took about 8 months AFTER launch for them to start showing up on Turo. Wanted to take my 73yr old Dad for a rid in it as he is a huge Corvette fan!

Last edited:
Reactions: NHK X and BigNick
Turo is your best bet, but I wouldn’t give up hope on a Plaid being available. The payment on that car is over $2k per month if you lease or finance (depending on down payment).

So, like Airbnb, some folks will need to have help making their Plaid vehicles affordable. I was going to do that with the Plaid+ and may still do it with my Plaid order.

This is something $$$ can solve. Pay $200k for a 1 day rental. Yes, pay more to rent for 1 day than the actual purchase price.

Frankly, that's the only way I'd allow someone to rent/borrow/drive my Tesla even for a second. You need to pay me more than the entire purchase price and you get nothing afterwards. It'd be cheaper to buy your own car than renting from me.

I can get on Turo right now and get a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Bentley in the SoCal area without much hassle.

A Plaid may end up on Turo, but it will likely be in the $500-$2,000 a day range, because those listing them will be using it to cover the payments.

I leased my Plaid, so listing it on Turo is still something I’m considering doing.

Turo is your best bet and its primarily filled with two types of people who rent cars: 1) 'businesses' who rent a fleet of 3-8 years old luxury/performance cars.. 2) people who probably cant afford their car payment in the first place.. and rent out their car to help pay bills. The former is likely somebody who has a friend/cousin/etc with a dealers license and gets a great deal on auction cars.. rents them out for profit and buy/sells them often to generate some sort of income.

Anybody buying the latest & greatest $130K Plaid.. has been waiting almost half a year on their car.. is probably both fairly well off financially.. and also a serious Tesla enthusiast. No way they are renting out their most precious new baby.. which is probably still waiting to be delivered.. and is literally the fastest (quickest) car money can buy (at least from the factory) right now.. to some random stranger. And all for what $400-500 bucks a day?

Finally.. There is only one reason someone will even be trying to rent what is basically the fastest car in the world right now.. and that's to see how fast it is. This means they are going to drive the living sh*t outta it.. probably use up $400 in tires alone lol. Give it another year or so and you might have a chance at it. I was interested in doing the same for the 2020 Corvette C8 when debuted back in late 2019.. and it took about 8 months AFTER launch for them to start showing up on Turo. Wanted to take my 73yr old Dad for a rid in it as he is a huge Corvette fan!

Great logic, but you are wrong. Check Turo and see for yourself.

Reactions: HumanInput

To be honest, it did happen. With me. I've waited nearly half a year just like you mentioned to get the fastest car in the world. The first thing I did was drive it 8,000 miles across the country and use launch mode about 500 times. I then dropped it off in Miami and posted it on Turo immediately. I wanted to share the fastest car in the world with the world. I'm renting it out for $250-$350 a day to make it available for anyone that wants to drive it as fast as possible. The car itself measures the ground 1000 times a second, meaning the tires do not wear out like you would think. After nearly 30,000 miles and over 1000 launches from 0-60 it was time to replace the tires for $1600 including installation.