Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid V11 Energy App missing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rblim

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2015
Point Richmond, CA
I was perusing the Model S Plaid (refresh) Manual and noticed there is no mention of the Energy App. Does anyone have knowledge that it still exists? I remember the early M3's didn't have it, but it was later added via software update.

]I have found it very useful on long distance trips. The app that displays wh/mi consumption used over the last 5,10 30 miles etc., and also provided an energy consumption graph on the "Trip" tab when Navigation was used. Very useful to monitor battery consumption at higher speeds and dealing with headwinds ensuring destination could be reached. I have a refresh MX on order (now delayed until September), trading in my 2017 MX which replaced my 2015 MS. Love these cars!

I noticed the same thing on Ryan Shaw’s YouTube review. I hope it’s just something temporary. The trip energy use estimation is my main tool for planning charging stops. I’ve always found it to be just slightly conservative but immensely useful. Tesla: please bring it back!!

Reactions: ediflyer
Thats what I love about this place
Folks worrying about stuff they will likely never be impacted by.
By next week there could potentially be almost 100 of these cars on the road - the owners of which couldn't give a second thought if <insert feature here> was currently available.
Most current owners got it to go really fast and have the latest toy.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I was perusing the Model S Plaid (refresh) Manual and noticed there is no mention of the Energy App. Does anyone have knowledge that it still exists? I remember the early M3's didn't have it, but it was later added via software update.

]I have found it very useful on long distance trips. The app that displays wh/mi consumption used over the last 5,10 30 miles etc., and also provided an energy consumption graph on the "Trip" tab when Navigation was used. Very useful to monitor battery consumption at higher speeds and dealing with headwinds ensuring destination could be reached. I have a refresh MX on order (now delayed until September), trading in my 2017 MX which replaced my 2015 MS. Love these cars!

You can estimate the battery capacity using that data too. See here:

You can estimate the battery capacity using that data too. See here:
That link you gave shows that to access the energy graph you first tap the Energy Display Mode button. Only thing is, in the refreshed Model S there is no button. Tesla has removed the graph. Bummer, because I used that a lot in my M3.

This is a genuinely sincere post/question/comment...

I have had my P2 Model S since last June and now almost 24k miles. I have opened this energy app (with voice) to see what the buzz is all about.

I do not get it - looking back on all the trips I have taken in this 24k miles not once would I have used this information. The satnav info with SOC has been almost spot on every time (snow, rain, mountains, high speed, etc.).

Where do you use this information? How does it benefit your drive that the satnav does not already? This is my first Tesla so I cannot say how they acted before this refresh P2 but it really serves no purpose for me - the car figures it out and I have never come close to not making a charger or destination.

This is a genuinely sincere post/question/comment...

I have had my P2 Model S since last June and now almost 24k miles. I have opened this energy app (with voice) to see what the buzz is all about.

I do not get it - looking back on all the trips I have taken in this 24k miles not once would I have used this information. The satnav info with SOC has been almost spot on every time (snow, rain, mountains, high speed, etc.).

Where do you use this information? How does it benefit your drive that the satnav does not already? This is my first Tesla so I cannot say how they acted before this refresh P2 but it really serves no purpose for me - the car figures it out and I have never come close to not making a charger or destination.
See this please:

How to accurately predict range in a Tesla​

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
See this please:

How to accurately predict range in a Tesla​

I agree that going off the dash range in miles is not accurate. I tried that when I first took delivery and quickly learned. However, after 24k miles, using % is accurate. With the satnav and waypoints, I can put in a 2k mile trip (have done 5) and it ends off a few %. This could be my fault as I drive how I want - I do not drive for efficiency. Efficiency is important but I drive 2 hours to somewhere and what to be commfy and have fun. I drive the car not the other way.

The satnav and waypoints make it very easy to plan a trip and even add a point in there as they pop up. I have had the car prior to Tesla adding waypoints - this was more of an issue and planning - that would have made it nice to understand the range. Under the trips menu, it also gives me energy used on that leg of the trip for reference.

I think - for me - using that chart is just not useful since I do not need to adjust driving based on current range. This car is smart and the % range is accurate. Even in differing terrain and weather conditions. The car seems to compensate for me and adjusts SOC in waypoints accordingly. This is based on experience and as close to empirical evidence as this subject would warrant for me.

Could it be that I am coming into this with the refresh model S and not having any previous experience with older models?

... Efficiency is important but I drive 2 hours to somewhere and what to be commfy and have fun. I drive the car not the other way.
... Could it be that I am coming into this with the refresh model S and not having any previous experience with older models?
Yes, many of us were around years before waypoints were added. That is pretty new.
I think it is just based on the way you travel. I'm close to ~100K Tesla road tripping miles. I would suggest you learn some of those techniques because if you are in a tight spot then you can get comfortable with looking at the prediction range and comparing it to your built-in nav. Prediction range can make you and your passenger(s) more confident if you are trying to stretch and make good timing by getting to a farther supercharger (ie. skipping one).

Yes, many of us were around years before waypoints were added. That is pretty new.
I think it is just based on the way you travel. I'm close to ~100K Tesla road tripping miles. I would suggest you learn some of those techniques because if you are in a tight spot then you can get comfortable with looking at the prediction range and comparing it to your built-in nav. Prediction range can make you and your passenger(s) more confident if you are trying to stretch and make good timing by getting to a farther supercharger (ie. skipping one).

Understood. Like on the Titanic, I try to keep my passengers in the dark.

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200

Use the voice command "show energy" to bring up the energy screen.

Reactions: RxVanco and mscott