Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S plaid vs. Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As mentioned the S LR is even faster than the 3 performance so why are you looking at a Plaid? Buy an S LR and a 3 performance for the same price as a Plaid. Now you can drive both for as long as you like and decide which one you will keep. I doubt you will lose any money on the sale.
Yoke, didn’t care for the yoke Size and steering ratio.
got a lr3 on order and the roadster. Own pd3 and many other cars.
Dammm people getting feelings hurt over my choice.
If I change my mind looks like it’s a inventory car now. (Probably because it so popular)

Yoke, didn’t care for the yoke Size and steering ratio.
got a lr3 on order and the roadster. Own pd3 and many other cars.
Dammm people getting feelings hurt over my choice.
If I change my mind looks like it’s a inventory car now. (Probably because it so popular)
Why would think I was addressing you? The OP wanted an opinion between the Plaid and 3P, my comment was directed at him.

I tried to drive my P3D to work today. I made it to the end of the block - turned around swapped the P3D for the Plaid. It feels small and basic compared to the smooth plush plaid.

The P3D is probably going to be a track day only car now.
So wait - you're saying that your $60K/4000 lb car isn't as smooth or plush as your $130K/5000 lb. air-suspension car?!?!

In other news, water is wet!

While the M3P is priced at about 60k, its underpinnings are more of a 35k car so the delta is even more. If the M3P had a hatch, and better suspension, it would be better for us than the MS LR we have on order. I like the nimbleness of the car and the performance is more than enough for the street. We've moved to an area where I have to drive several miles even before the speed limits get above 30 mph and the streets are much narrower and crowded than where we previously.

I drove a Plaid and the ride, quietness, comfort was obviously much better than the 3. So while our LR is about 90% of the Plaid, it really wouldn't matter to have the Plaid where we are now. I could still use the point and shoot dynamics of the M3P every day. Our MY isn't nearly as athletic but is a pretty good family hauler.

If Tesla came out with something a bit bigger than the 3 but still nimble, incorporating some of the creature comforts of the S, and being a bit more luxurious, and with performance comparable to the MS LR, I'd be an instant buyer.

Reactions: Duke846
While the M3P is priced at about 60k, its underpinnings are more of a 35k car so the delta is even more. If the M3P had a hatch, and better suspension, it would be better for us than the MS LR we have on order. I like the nimbleness of the car and the performance is more than enough for the street. We've moved to an area where I have to drive several miles even before the speed limits get above 30 mph and the streets are much narrower and crowded than where we previously.

I drove a Plaid and the ride, quietness, comfort was obviously much better than the 3. So while our LR is about 90% of the Plaid, it really wouldn't matter to have the Plaid where we are now. I could still use the point and shoot dynamics of the M3P every day. Our MY isn't nearly as athletic but is a pretty good family hauler.

If Tesla came out with something a bit bigger than the 3 but still nimble, incorporating some of the creature comforts of the S, and being a bit more luxurious, and with performance comparable to the MS LR, I'd be an instant buyer.
The Model S is essentially 100% of the Plaid except acceleration, where it’s more like 35% of the Plaid. I can’t begin to express how much faster the Plaid is than a standard Model S.

Reactions: jose3030
While the M3P is priced at about 60k, its underpinnings are more of a 35k car...

Wait - so you're saying that Tesla does the same thing as every other luxury marque by building entry-level and up-level version of a car on the same basic chassis and charging a whole bunch more for the fancy version despite the entry-level underpinnings?!?

In other news, ice is cold...

Reactions: Lindenwood
Wait - so you're saying that Tesla does the same thing as every other luxury marque by building entry-level and up-level version of a car on the same basic chassis and charging a whole bunch more for the fancy version despite the entry-level underpinnings?!?

In other news, ice is cold...

Yup, was the same with my Golf R, my Subaru Impreza STI etc etc...

Mind you, at least the Golf R and STI had uprated interior seating surfaces etc...

Sold my Model 3 2020 Performance and waiting for Plaid Model S. Everything about that car was amazing but it was missing refinement. No heated wheel, high noise levels when driving over 100km/h, no "luxury" (tablet in the middle) etc. It was fun throwing the car around especially in track mode with 30/70 rear bias in Canadian winters though with winter tires. Sold it for 70k CAD and drove it for 34,000km, do you guys think that was a good deal???
Curious..Have you tried the 2022 M3P? Alot more refined, quieter, interior door trim now matching S, fit and finish of new witless charger/centre console way better than 2020.
Heated steering and power trunk incl as of 2021. It’s more compelling today than ever before.

Mr. William I have read your post and Jeb almost every day, that being said I am not retired so dealing with tesla would be hard. The list of problems just doesn’t fit in with my life right now. I own many cars so In the future if the Plaid is something I would like then is will be added.
on the other hand the roadster is a guarantee!
200+ guys trying to flip this car, many in current inventory also tells me that early adoption of the Plaid was by people more willing to accept some of the minor issues.
in the meantime I will continue to do donuts in the snow with my pd3 till the next Tesla with trackmode is available.
I have a 22’ M3 LR with ingenext software upgrade. Brings 0-100 to 3.6…no rollout. Allows taking off stability and traction control for donuts, auto open door, manual wiper function without screen taps. The donuts are awesome and the car literally is loads of fun compared to my previous 2016 90D and 2018 100D S.

I have a PY on order but honestly considering an MS LR instead for more a more comfortable touring ride for the second Tesla. From what I’m reading here though, it seems like the fit/finish still has issues and the UI is still not fully functional? Not to mention no stalks? I don’t mind the yoke and may opt for one for my M3 but no stalks is a hard one.

Plaid vs Model 3 is a hard comparison indeed. For half the price are you getting half the car?

Reactions: Duke846 and tm1v2
Plaid vs Model 3 is a hard comparison indeed. For half the price are you getting half the car?
Basically you are getting the same car with just less HP. So you basically have an almost 700 HP sedan, that will do high 10's @+ 130 mph. You lose a rear spoiler, lower top speed (but not a huge difference until they unleash the 200 mph unlock) and track mode. A little different stitching inside and a different trim option.

Real world you are looking at about 3.1 seconds (LR with rollout) vs. ~2.2-2.3 (Plaid with rollout). If you are a speed junkie it is a lot more performance that people spend a lot more money to get. OTOH how often will you be able to exercise it. The LR is more than fast enough to crush 99% of the cars on the street in acceleration, the Plaid allows you to get another 0.9%. Even with a Plaid you still find other cars that are quicker on the street but they will be very few and far between.

Neither the Plaid nor the LR lay down at higher speeds. Pretty evident by the 1/4 mile trap speeds. Really 2 amazing options to choose from.

Reactions: 12Pack and TLLMRRJ
No they aren't. A vocal few are. A vocal few who are taking their 5000lb family sedans to the track, where it has no place being. And thats ignoring the fact that every production car that is going to be tracked should have upgraded brakes.

Even you said they are good for 6 consecutive back to back 60-0 stops. That's 5 more than anyone should ever need.
Yes they are lol

Basically you are getting the same car with just less HP. So you basically have an almost 700 HP sedan, that will do high 10's @+ 130 mph. You lose a rear spoiler, lower top speed (but not a huge difference until they unleash the 200 mph unlock) and track mode. A little different stitching inside and a different trim option.

Real world you are looking at about 3.1 seconds (LR with rollout) vs. ~2.2-2.3 (Plaid with rollout). If you are a speed junkie it is a lot more performance that people spend a lot more money to get. OTOH how often will you be able to exercise it. The LR is more than fast enough to crush 99% of the cars on the street in acceleration, the Plaid allows you to get another 0.9%. Even with a Plaid you still find other cars that are quicker on the street but they will be very few and far between.

Neither the Plaid nor the LR lay down at higher speeds. Pretty evident by the 1/4 mile trap speeds. Really 2 amazing options to choose from.
Given the 0-60 time between the M3P and MS LR are very, very similar (above 60 is a different story), the difference between the MS LR and the Plaid is absolutely huge, even on the street. I went from a M3P to the MS Plaid, and... good grief. Prior to purchase, I thought about the same... - how much faster can it really be on the street? The answer is simple. A LOT. Do you need it? Nope. Do you want it? Yep.

I've never run into a faster car on the street, that I'm aware of.

I just went from a M3P to a MS Plaid. The 1 second quicker to 60 doesn't tell half the story. The car is absolutely restricted at launch due to traction. If you floor it at 60mph, you can feel it would still break loose if it wasn't for traction management. I had 2 Gen 5 Vipers, and they would blow the M3P out of the water after about 40 mph when the Tesla started loosing power. The Plaid is the opposite where it can't put down all it's power until it hits higher speed, THEN it pushes you back even HARDER. It absolutely destroys the Viper all the way to max speed. Unbelievable.

I just went from a M3P to a MS Plaid. The 1 second quicker to 60 doesn't tell half the story. The car is absolutely restricted at launch due to traction. If you floor it at 60mph, you can feel it would still break loose if it wasn't for traction management. I had 2 Gen 5 Vipers, and they would blow the M3P out of the water after about 40 mph when the Tesla started loosing power. The Plaid is the opposite where it can't put down all it's power until it hits higher speed, THEN it pushes you back even HARDER. It absolutely destroys the Viper all the way to max speed. Unbelievable.
Yep, you speak the truth.

Haven put a lot of miles on my MS LR so far, it is very clear that Tesla is limiting the off the line power tremendously in the LR. It would probably be a mid 2 second 0-60 car if totally uncorked. I am pretty sure they did it deliberately to keep as much of a difference between the Plaid and LR as they could to help drive sales to the Plaid.

To put it in perspective, a Lambo Huracan, will beat the LR to 60 (by about .4 seconds), yet they run pretty close to even in the 1/4 mile. Given typically how hard Teslas launch, normally the Tesla would beat the ICE car to 60 and lay down up top (excluding the Plaid). I find my LR is slower than claimed to 60 (3.3), yet still is running around 10.7-10.8 in the 1/4 @128.

So an M3P will likely beat my car to 60, but then the power gets released and it is pully pretty hard from about 40 mph on up.

Haven put a lot of miles on my MS LR so far, it is very clear that Tesla is limiting the off the line power tremendously in the LR. It would probably be a mid 2 second 0-60 car if totally uncorked. I am pretty sure they did it deliberately to keep as much of a difference between the Plaid and LR as they could to help drive sales to the Plaid.

To put it in perspective, a Lambo Huracan, will beat the LR to 60 (by about .4 seconds), yet they run pretty close to even in the 1/4 mile. Given typically how hard Teslas launch, normally the Tesla would beat the ICE car to 60 and lay down up top (excluding the Plaid). I find my LR is slower than claimed to 60 (3.3), yet still is running around 10.7-10.8 in the 1/4 @128.

So an M3P will likely beat my car to 60, but then the power gets released and it is pully pretty hard from about 40 mph on up.
This is true and has been true since the 2018 Model 3 first came out, unfortunately.