Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S plaid vs. Model 3 Performance

Duke846

Aug 23, 2019
Omaha NE
As mentioned the S LR is even faster than the 3 performance so why are you looking at a Plaid? Buy an S LR and a 3 performance for the same price as a Plaid. Now you can drive both for as long as you like and decide which one you will keep. I doubt you will lose any money on the sale.
Yoke, didn’t care for the yoke Size and steering ratio.
got a lr3 on order and the roadster. Own pd3 and many other cars.
Dammm people getting feelings hurt over my choice.
If I change my mind looks like it’s a inventory car now. (Probably because it so popular)

Midnightsun

Nov 29, 2020
Canada
Yoke, didn’t care for the yoke Size and steering ratio.
got a lr3 on order and the roadster. Own pd3 and many other cars.
Dammm people getting feelings hurt over my choice.
If I change my mind looks like it’s a inventory car now. (Probably because it so popular)
Why would think I was addressing you? The OP wanted an opinion between the Plaid and 3P, my comment was directed at him.

I tried to drive my P3D to work today. I made it to the end of the block - turned around swapped the P3D for the Plaid. It feels small and basic compared to the smooth plush plaid.

The P3D is probably going to be a track day only car now.
So wait - you're saying that your $60K/4000 lb car isn't as smooth or plush as your $130K/5000 lb. air-suspension car?!?!

In other news, water is wet!

Reactions: Duke846
While the M3P is priced at about 60k, its underpinnings are more of a 35k car so the delta is even more. If the M3P had a hatch, and better suspension, it would be better for us than the MS LR we have on order. I like the nimbleness of the car and the performance is more than enough for the street. We've moved to an area where I have to drive several miles even before the speed limits get above 30 mph and the streets are much narrower and crowded than where we previously.

I drove a Plaid and the ride, quietness, comfort was obviously much better than the 3. So while our LR is about 90% of the Plaid, it really wouldn't matter to have the Plaid where we are now. I could still use the point and shoot dynamics of the M3P every day. Our MY isn't nearly as athletic but is a pretty good family hauler.

If Tesla came out with something a bit bigger than the 3 but still nimble, incorporating some of the creature comforts of the S, and being a bit more luxurious, and with performance comparable to the MS LR, I'd be an instant buyer.

Reactions: Duke846

WilliamG

Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
While the M3P is priced at about 60k, its underpinnings are more of a 35k car so the delta is even more. If the M3P had a hatch, and better suspension, it would be better for us than the MS LR we have on order. I like the nimbleness of the car and the performance is more than enough for the street. We've moved to an area where I have to drive several miles even before the speed limits get above 30 mph and the streets are much narrower and crowded than where we previously.

I drove a Plaid and the ride, quietness, comfort was obviously much better than the 3. So while our LR is about 90% of the Plaid, it really wouldn't matter to have the Plaid where we are now. I could still use the point and shoot dynamics of the M3P every day. Our MY isn't nearly as athletic but is a pretty good family hauler.

If Tesla came out with something a bit bigger than the 3 but still nimble, incorporating some of the creature comforts of the S, and being a bit more luxurious, and with performance comparable to the MS LR, I'd be an instant buyer.
The Model S is essentially 100% of the Plaid except acceleration, where it’s more like 35% of the Plaid. I can’t begin to express how much faster the Plaid is than a standard Model S.

While the M3P is priced at about 60k, its underpinnings are more of a 35k car...

Wait - so you're saying that Tesla does the same thing as every other luxury marque by building entry-level and up-level version of a car on the same basic chassis and charging a whole bunch more for the fancy version despite the entry-level underpinnings?!?

In other news, ice is cold...

WilliamG

Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
Wait - so you're saying that Tesla does the same thing as every other luxury marque by building entry-level and up-level version of a car on the same basic chassis and charging a whole bunch more for the fancy version despite the entry-level underpinnings?!?

In other news, ice is cold...

Yup, was the same with my Golf R, my Subaru Impreza STI etc etc...

Mind you, at least the Golf R and STI had uprated interior seating surfaces etc...

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC