Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S plaid vs. Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm completely new to Teslas and have only driven slow-luxury cars. Money is no object, so i was drawn the Plaid, essentially to say I had the best tesla available. However I am not skilled at driving fast (big) cars. And 0-60 2 seconds seems like it would be scary fast and probably a danger to me (and others). I'm also a little weary of plaid because its a brand new model, and feels like there may be issues with software/quality control. Model 3 feels like the tried and true tesla, and M3P still feels fast as hell (and i like the look a bit better, tbh).

Anyone else made this decision?

I'm completely new to Teslas and have only driven slow-luxury cars. Money is no object, so i was drawn the Plaid, essentially to say I had the best tesla available. However I am not skilled at driving fast (big) cars. And 0-60 2 seconds seems like it would be scary fast and probably a danger to me (and others). I'm also a little weary of plaid because its a brand new model, and feels like there may be issues with software/quality control. Model 3 feels like the tried and true tesla, and M3P still feels fast as hell (and i like the look a bit better, tbh).

Anyone else made this decision?
I moved from the 3P to the Plaid. The Plaid is one of the easiest cars to drive quickly in because it reigns you in hardcore if you try to lose control. It literally cuts so much power if the yoke isn’t straight that it feels slow at that point. You’ll be just fine (that said - be careful!). Track Mode software (coming “soon” will address the nannying).

It’s a mental car. Absolutely mental. Much more comfy and quiet than the 3P, with many more creature comforts. THAT said, the Model S is new, and it 100% has so much BS in terms of build quality and just general fit and finish issues. The 3 does not (in general) - being well established at this point. If my Plaid had been anywhere near as well built as my 3P I’d recommend the Plaid in an instant. Since it’s not, it’s a trickier decision. That said, Tesla will take care of the issues (eventually). If you have the patience, Plaid all the way.

@WilliamG Thanks for the response. I'm worried most about the wheel position and getting paint damage on the plaid. I've read about PPF but this also seems like such a nightmare - costs money, might need to be replaced in 5 years etc. as i said im new to tesla, and always own crappy cars so im not really into cars as much as the folks here. am i good without doing PFF on the plaid?

Last edited:
Jumped from a 3P to plaid. Plaid is better in every way except handling. 3P was still really good though for the smaller size choice.
Thanks. have you had any issues with rock chips? From my reading, the wheel position has been causing some issues with rock chips in paint. Because I'm so new to tesla and not a car person, I'm not comfortable with getting my car wrapped in PPF. Do you think it would be OK without any? I've read the plaid comes with a bit of PFF, thanks @dropgems

Last edited:
Thanks. have you had any issues with rock chips? From my reading, the wheel position has been causing some issues with rock chips in paint. Because I'm so new to tesla and not a car person, I'm not comfortable with getting my car wrapped in PPF. Do you think it would be OK without any? I've read the plaid comes with a bit of PFF, thanks @dropgems
You’ll be ok, but expect a few chips on the rear quarters. Mud flaps (when available) will take care of this easily.

Go for at least a partial wrap, leading edges, full hood. Paint chips are well worth avoiding if you plan to keep the car and you want to keep it nice. Honestly if I had a Plaid, I’d plan to keep it to the bitter end then be buried in it. Once you are spoiled by it there won’t be a worthy replacement, unless it’s another Plaid. For the money you pay, I’d get the whole thing wrapped. The 5 year isn’t a thing, that’s the warranty on some wraps, but I’d consider the wrap as permanent.

If my Plaid had been anywhere near as well built as my 3P.....
Given the general "gnashing of teeth" in the Model 3 subforums over build quality (of which I know you are also aware as I used to see you over there before you got your plaid), this is one sentence I NEVER in a million years thought I would read from anyone.

Reactions: LWI
Given the general "gnashing of teeth" in the Model 3 subforums over build quality (of which I know you are also aware as I used to see you over there before you got your plaid), this is one sentence I NEVER in a million years thought I would read from anyone.
Well, bear in mind my Model 3 was a mid-2019 model. I've actually driven a 2018 earlier model, and man... it wasn't built anywhere near as well.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Sold my Model 3 2020 Performance and waiting for Plaid Model S. Everything about that car was amazing but it was missing refinement. No heated wheel, high noise levels when driving over 100km/h, no "luxury" (tablet in the middle) etc. It was fun throwing the car around especially in track mode with 30/70 rear bias in Canadian winters though with winter tires. Sold it for 70k CAD and drove it for 34,000km, do you guys think that was a good deal???

Switched from a 2021 MYP to a Plaid. The MYP was no slouch, but the power of the plaid is not even in the same universe.

Strange groaning noises from passengers when under full pedal, the feeling of blood rushing to the back of your skull, it’s like falling forward while Bobby Baccalieri drop kicks you in the back.

And yet it drives as smoothly as my Model Y did, which is the smoothest car I had ever driven until that point.

Sold my Model 3 2020 Performance and waiting for Plaid Model S. Everything about that car was amazing but it was missing refinement. No heated wheel, high noise levels when driving over 100km/h, no "luxury" (tablet in the middle) etc. It was fun throwing the car around especially in track mode with 30/70 rear bias in Canadian winters though with winter tires. Sold it for 70k CAD and drove it for 34,000km, do you guys think that was a good deal???
Oakville resident here. Well I got 63k for an aug built 2021 M3 SR+ w/8000km on it…if that’s any comparison? Used market is insane.

When’s your plaid coming in?

My daughter has a 3P, my wife has a 3 and I've had the Plaid for 4 months now. My Plaid is a far, far better car, the performance is there if you want it (but I drive Sport mode instead of Plaid mode), the ride is superior in that the car is much quieter, the ride far better and the user interface and features are superior (except for the ill designed haptic buttons on the yoke). And BTW I do love the yoke, but it took a 1000 miles or so to really get use to it.

• Informative
Reactions: onshi