Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S plaid vs Model X plaid for road trips?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can’t decide between the Model S Plaid or Model X Plaid.

Its just me, my wife and 50lb dog. I live in Illinois so it snows a lot during the winter. I don’t really lug a ton of stuff. We sometimes drive with my parents so the max people well have in the car is 4 + a dog.

If the Model X plaid had the same acceleration as the S I’d go with the X, but I really love that insane acceleration of the Model S.

I currently have the Model Y performance and it’s the perfect size - any smaller would be too small for me. Does the S feel the same size as the Y or bigger?

Would a Model S suffice or would the extra room in a Model X be better for me?

Last edited:
Oh really? I sat in a 2016 S and the drivers seat felt really constricted compared to the Y. Are the newer S’s different?
Having watched the livestream tonight, the new Model S does appear to be different with more space for the rear passengers.

Sorry, no one can answer your question what’s better for you. Go see the car yourself and decide/compare for yourself. I wouldn’t listen to some random people on a forum telling me what to buy with $150k.

We have an S and an X. The X is the six-seat version, meaning when the rear seats are folded down, cargo is completely loose. We tried nets; did not work and too messy to work with. We bought the German cargo shield, and that works just fine. (See photo). If doing it over, would have ordered the five seat version, because the second seat acts as a cargo barrier.

However, our S is a great trip car. It hauls a lot of cargo. This is our writeup in Tesla Customer Stories:

So, it is time to replace the Model S, and I have ordered a Model S Long Range. My wife is happy with the X, so there is peace in the family. However, road trips will take the S!

Attachments

• Model X wih German Cargo Shield.jpeg
    Model X wih German Cargo Shield.jpeg
    564.5 KB · Views: 601
  • Model S Packing Record.JPG
    Model S Packing Record.JPG
    617.9 KB · Views: 142