Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid vs Porsche Taycan Turbo S vs my Model 3 Performance (after having driven all three).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it, but agree with others that having the car slow down without changing pedals is a great feature. In fact it took me a couple of experiences before it clicked that it wasn't doing that because the battery fully charged, and I now avoid fully charging the battery when possible, because of that.
Yea, if you live anywhere with winters, even Seattle area, you get the same limited or no regen at any state of charge. Since Elon only drives his Teslas in CA and Texas, he never experiences this, therefore it's not a user experience he cares about.

Harsh, but I agree that Teslas are a mixed bag in terms of tech. The infotainment system sucks big time, and as I said, I'm using only bluetooth these days. But curious if the Porsche phone app offers similar options, including driving off without a key.
Not sure about driving without a key, I would never personally rely on that on a Tesla Model S either (goes out if connectivity is out), but the preheat, charging, etc are similar on a Porsche app. Of course for Phone integration Porsche has Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, so by far a more technically capable there than any Tesla.

Reactions: Babak
I currently have a 2018 Model S 100D and a 2022 Taycan 4S in my garage. While these cars are not comparable to the original post (plaid vs Taycan turbo), I thought I'd share my 2c. Please bear in mind that both these cars are being used to drive mostly around the city. We use our minivan for longer trips (which have been hard to come by during COVID)

Tesla:
-Rapid off the mark (that addictive instant EV torque).
-Amazing sound system (with limitations of bluetooth). Have to use Spotify or tidal for HD streaming
-Have FUSC but rarely use it since we usually take the minivan for road trips.
-Still feels like a one trick pony. Cornering is pathetic for a car of this price. I've heard the Plaid has made significant improvements with handling.
-Suspension is horrible (again have heard that this has been upgraded with raven and plaid).
-Service absolutely sucks (nothing new here).
-Rear passenger ventilation is not great. Kids always feel hot for 10-15 min even with the fans on at 11.
-Build quality (suspension changed 3 times, headlights replaced 4 times) issues remain even with plaid (based on forum posts).
-No one talks about nighttime visibility. The headlights are very poor compared to any modern car made in the last 5-6 years. Even the plaid has the same crappy headlights. The model 3 and Y have amazing lights.
-V 11 UI is a work in progress. I'm sure it will get better with time.

Taycan:
-Massage seats!! finally.
-Amazing driving experience. Suspension is buttery smooth.
-Miss the one pedal driving but I somehow prefer the conventional approach these days (especially on drives after breakfast or lunch - Tesla gives me nausea on regular setting with regen ON).
-Carplay is good. I get better streaming options. Stock Bose is supposed to be good but I splurged on the burmester.
-Very poor rear visibility
-No dashcam
-Limited storage space. The cross trurismo has somewhat more trunk space (still less than Tesla).
-Overall better soundproofing
-360 parking cam.
-HUD and better nighttime time driving experience (headlights are great)

Both cars have unique characteristics and I don't think you can compare them as such. They usually get compared due to the price range but cater to different populations. I am still deciding on keeping the Tesla vs selling it but just feel blessed to live in a time where we have so many choices
Great impressions. I will say the new S dynamically is worlds apart from your 2018.

There are a few other terrible things about the Taycan. The backup camera quality is just bad, but 360 camera is so useful to have. You’re not wrong on the headlights of the Tesla, - I think they’re probably the worst headlights of any car at this price point on the market. Just an embarrassment.

And build quality has to be talked about again. The build quality of the new S is just crap. It’s not even necessarily the big things, but the little things are just poor. Porsche build quality eats Tesla’s for breakfast.

Still, I know what it looks like! Doesn't help that the brand itself is a turnoff for me.
I never had a Merc. I test drove a few, never cared for any of them. The brand never spoke to me either. All that said, after driving the EQS, I might consider the EQS AMG version, especially if they can build me one before Porsche can build me a Taycan CT Turbo (I've been waiting for an allocation since this summer). The EQS actually looks better in person than in pictures, though definitely bland, but I think I can live with that, especially that flashy looks that stand out are not high on my priorities list (one reason I liked the Model S, understated but elegant, I even deleted the red calipers from my P85D because I don't like them on a while car). This is the one I drove (I think, there was 5 or 6 of them there). It seriously felt like a luxury Model S with more modern tech inside:
1641026775231.png

PS> I hate the charge port on the passenger rear side. Copied from ICE car fuel cap without considering the EV driver experience of charging at home as opposed to the gas station or public charger (e.g. plugging in every day in a garage, why have to walk all the way around to plug/unplug every time, even worse if the car is parked with passenger side to the wall).

Last edited:
Reactions: Babak
I never had a Merc. I test drove a few, never cared for any of them. The brand never spoke to me either. All that said, after driving the EQS, I might consider the EQS AMG version, especially if they can build me one before Porsche can build me a Taycan CT Turbo (I've been waiting for an allocation since this summer). The EQS actually looks better in person than in pictures, though definitely bland, but I think I can live with that, especially that flashy looks that stand out are not high on my priorities list (one reason I liked the Model S, understated but elegant, I even deleted the red calipers from my P85D because I don't like them on a while car). This is the one I drove (I think, there was 5 or 6 of them there). It seriously felt like a luxury Model S with more modern tech inside:

PS> I hate the charge port on the passenger rear side. Copied from ICE car fuel cap without considering the EV driver experience of charging at home as opposed to the gas station or public charger (e.g. plugging in every day in a garage, why have to walk all the way around to plug/unplug every time, even worse if the car is parked with passenger side to the wall).

The EQS is definitely nice, but what a shame that the base EQS is just RWD. Stupid move on Mercedes part, as it eliminates anyone in a snowy/icy environment. I had a rear while drive Mercedes with snow tires and never again. For that price AWD should be standard.

The EQS is definitely nice, but what a shame that the base EQS is just RWD. Stupid move on Mercedes part, as it eliminates anyone in a snowy/icy environment. I had a rear while drive Mercedes with snow tires and never again. For that price AWD should be standard.
Eeeh... Base Model S used to be RWD, Model 3 still is, you can even get a RWD Taycan. My first Model S was RWD and I gotta say it handles much better in the snow than any rwd ICE. The near-instantaneous torque control allows the traction and stability control to do things ICE cars simply cannot do. I'm not saying AWD is not better, just that RWD EV is already better than 2WD ICE cars, and we know there are plenty of people driving 2WD ICE cars through winters just fine. And of course, all of the above (EQS, Model S, Model 3, Taycan) have AWD available in their trim ranges, so if you want it, you can get it. Not everyone wants to pay for AWD btw (e.g. I know someone who could afford an AWD Model 3, but bought the RWD because they didn't think it was worth it - we just had a lot of snow around here and I they said the RWD does the job just fine).

Eeeh... Base Model S used to be RWD, Model 3 still is, you can even get a RWD Taycan. My first Model S was RWD and I gotta say it handles much better in the snow than any rwd ICE. The near-instantaneous torque control allows the traction and stability control to do things ICE cars simply cannot do. I'm not saying AWD is not better, just that RWD EV is already better than 2WD ICE cars, and we know there are plenty of people driving 2WD ICE cars through winters just fine. And of course, all of the above (EQS, Model S, Model 3, Taycan) have AWD available in their trim ranges, so if you want it, you can get it. Not everyone wants to pay for AWD btw (e.g. I know someone who could afford an AWD Model 3, but bought the RWD because they didn't think it was worth it - we just had a lot of snow around here and I they said the RWD does the job just fine).
I would much rather have awd or front wheel in snow. No way ever use rear wheel drive again. No way around it l, but rear wheel drive stinks in snow. Most luxury car around me all have awd. EQS is just to much for awd and should have awd on entry price. Will lose many sales in snow country.

One should always have the key card in your wallet as a backup. Works regardless of connectivity.
No card key on Model S/X (at least before Plaid, not sure if Plaid has it), but a key fob instead. If you're going to have the fob with you anyways, no point whatsoever to use the phone app to drive the car, since the car unlocks and drives automatically as long as you have the fob in your pocket or purse.
PS) you can get a fob for Model 3/Y too, it just costs extra.

I would much rather have awd or front wheel in snow. No way ever use rear wheel drive again. No way around it l, but rear wheel drive stinks in snow. Most luxury car around me all have awd. EQS is just to much for awd and should have awd on entry price. Will lose many sales in snow country.
Precisely - you would much rather have AWD, so you have the option to buy it, but people who are not of the same mind set as you have the option to save money and not pay for AWD. Why is giving customers a choice a bad thing in your book?

No card key on Model S/X (at least before Plaid, not sure if Plaid has it), but a key fob instead. If you're going to have the fob with you anyways, no point whatsoever to use the phone app to drive the car, since the car unlocks and drives automatically as long as you have the fob in your pocket or purse.
PS) you can get a fob for Model 3/Y too, it just costs extra.
Yes, Plaid & refreshed LR have key cards - and you still get 2 keyfobs.

IMO it really depends on what you want to carry, and now you really have a choice of all 3: phone key, keycard, keyfob.

In my first S P85D, I used to carry the keyfob around all the time (no phone key or keycard). But that’s just an extra thing to carry on top of my wallet and keycard.

With the 3, I mostly just used the phone key, but also carried a keycard when I went rock climbing or skiing or other outdoors activities where I may be out of signal or there was a chance my phone would die.

With the Plaid, I have so far done the same thing as the 3, but also have the choice to bring a keyfob if I want to go in nature without my wallet.

Seems like the release of the model 3 and all the innovations including key card and phone key were the major turning point. The Y followed suit with even more improvements such as heat pump. All these changes are now across the board as the new refreshed S and X have this including the landscape screen format. Bottomline is everything is getting to be rather similar regardless of model.

The phone key is just fantastic and have been living with it for for over a year now with the Y. Did not realize previous models did not have a phone key. Got a fob with the S but see no benefit to carrying it as the phone does everything you need and the card key backup in my wallet will always work regardless of connectivity. Heck, even ask siri via my Apple watch to open the trunk when my hands are full.

Reactions: WilliamG
But does Siri know what a “frunk” is? 🤣

On a serious note, thé one advantage of the fob is that you can quickly open the trunk/frunk/charge port, and lock the doors without having to wait for the car to wait for you to walk away (useful in certain situations).

But does Siri know what a “frunk” is? 🤣
Amazingly enough, yes it does recognize frunk! When I say open frunk it does just that plus I have the automated front upgrade on the Y so it actually opens entirely by itself. On the S it just pops the frunk.

On the automated Y frunk I do need to say open frunk to get it to close if it is open though. So it pretty smart but not quite there yet. ;)