Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid vs Porsche Taycan Turbo S vs my Model 3 Performance (after having driven all three).

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*UPDATE*

Just figured I would post an update since I’ve now had the chance to drive the Taycan Turbo S a little more.

Power: There is something very interesting about the way this car delivers its power. The car feels very quick from 0-~45mph…where the power really tapers off. Then right after that drop off you feel the power kick in again in the second gear. For me, this does a disservice to the instant response of electric. It doesn’t feel “right.” It’s not slow in any way, but compared to the Plaid it’s positively lethargic. The Plaid is a freight train at any speed. It’s unbelievable, as any owner will tell you.

Steering feel: Wow. The Plaid wished it felt like this. The Taycan steering is so connected, it’s almost telepathic. Really excellent stuff. Now, that’s not to say the Plaid handles or responds poorly. But the Taycan is in another league of steering feedback and telepathy. It’s classic Porsche.

Interior space: This is still a major struggle for me. Even with the seat all the way back and down, as a 6’5”-er I wished for more legroom in the Taycan. It has less than even the Model 3. Gah!

Overall, if we could get the handling of the Taycan coupled with the power/interior space of the Plaid, I’d be really, really happy.

my initial reaction to the yolk was the same as shared by most above, not good. Now, one month in, I love it and wouldn’t go back. I really think they should only have it in the Plaid, that would make a LOT more sense, but I think most will come to enjoy it. Too many people giving their opinions who haven’t actually used it for more than a test drive (or at all)!

*13 November Update*

I meant to update a bit ago, but wanted to now (better late than never).

The yoke turn signals are now excellent, having gone through a recent software update that completely eliminates the soft-press nature of any of the buttons. Now all buttons require a firm press, and turn signals shut off automatically when making even the most gradual of lane changes (using the camera system). In fact, the yoke turns signals are now my preferred method of signaling.

A side-effect of these turn signals switching off automatically is that they will now switch off sooner than they do in cars with stalks. e.g, you're making a tight turn left or right or a turn that is more sweeping - for longer. In a "normal" car that turn signal will stay on until the steering wheel straightens up enough to deactivate the signal (or unless you manually deactivate them). With the new update, the yoke doesn't even have to straighten to deactivate the signal, as the car uses its camera setup to determine the turn has been "completed," despite the yoke not actually straightening at the time. The turn signals also deactivate on forks in the road etc. All round, this is a superb change, and I can't speak highly enough about it.

*13 November Update*

The yoke turn signals are now excellent, having gone through a recent software update that completely eliminates the soft-press nature of any of the buttons. Now all buttons require a firm press, and turn signals shut off automatically when making even the most gradual of lane changes (using the camera system). In fact, the yoke turns signals are now my preferred method of signaling.

A side-effect of these turn signals switching off automatically is that they will now switch off sooner than they do in cars with stalks. e.g, you're making a tight turn left or right or a turn that is more sweeping - for longer. In a "normal" car that turn signal will stay on until the steering wheel straightens up enough to deactivate the signal (or unless you manually deactivate them). With the new update, the yoke doesn't even have to straighten to deactivate the signal, as the car uses its camera setup to determine the turn has been "completed," despite the yoke not actually straightening at the time. The turn signals also deactivate on forks in the road etc. All round, this is a superb change, and I can't speak highly enough about it.
Bummer. The whole thing is a big fat bummer.

*13 November Update*

I know this is a very subjective question, but I was wondering what it’s like to move from a car the size of a Model 3 to a Model S? Does the Model S feel boat-like, or too big, when you’re driving around downtown Seattle? How does it feel when you need to street park or pull three point turns on busier city streets? I live in the Portland area. On weekends I’m often driving around the downtown areas. Perhaps it’s not even a big deal and im putting too much importance on “edge cases”, when really most of the time I’m driving on highways or going to grocery stores.

I know this is a very subjective question, but I was wondering what it’s like to move from a car the size of a Model 3 to a Model S? Does the Model S feel boat-like, or too big, when you’re driving around downtown Seattle? How does it feel when you need to street park or pull three point turns on busier city streets? I live in the Portland area. On weekends I’m often driving around the downtown areas. Perhaps it’s not even a big deal and im putting too much importance on “edge cases”, when really most of the time I’m driving on highways or going to grocery stores.

Edge cases are still important! There's no question this is a noticeably larger car than the Model 3, in every respect, - parking, three-point turns etc etc. During those situations I question whether the S was a good idea, but the rest of the time it's a much nicer place to be, and - given the issues my car has had, let me tell you - it must be pretty good to have me still speak its praises. If most of your time was spent in the city, in tight quarters, I'd recommend the 3 over the S, - no question. If not, well - the S is a hoot. Mind you, this time of the year there's less of a benefit to the Plaid over the standard S, so bear that in mind (cold/wet/traction issues at full throttle).

• Helpful
Reactions: onshi
Edge cases are still important! There's no question this is a noticeably larger car than the Model 3, in every respect, - parking, three-point turns etc etc. During those situations I question whether the S was a good idea, but the rest of the time it's a much nicer place to be, and - given the issues my car has had, let me tell you - it must be pretty good to have me still speak its praises. If most of your time was spent in the city, in tight quarters, I'd recommend the 3 over the S, - no question. If not, well - the S is a hoot. Mind you, this time of the year there's less of a benefit to the Plaid over the standard S, so bear that in mind (cold/wet/traction issues at full throttle).

This information is so useful. Thank you! I love my Model 3, it’s a fantastic city car. But the Plaid acceleration looks like a lot of fun, the hatch back is big plus (I’d upgrade to a Model 3 hatchback in a heartbeat), and to me the Model S is a more handsome vehicle. Plus I drive to/from Portland to NorCal once a month. The Model 3’s stiff suspension and noisy interior leaves me feeling beaten up after the 13-15 hour drive. Model S supposedly is better in these areas as well. Ahhh I really just need to visit a Tesla store for a test drive. 🙏