Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid winter heating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone experiencing intermittent heating issues with the new S Plaid? As the weather gets colder here in (crappy MN) I noticed that driving around with heat on HI doesn't really blow HOT air at times. Other times it blows extremely hot air. Any ideas?

This was my question about the new heat pump system and how well it performs in the bitter cold of the north in the winter. This winter will be telling on the new Model S as it tends to be a limitation of most heat pump systems in colder climates.
Isn't there a supplemental heater when it gets really cold, like most heat pumps?

slide8.JPG

Last edited:
Is anyone experiencing intermittent heating issues with the new S Plaid? As the weather gets colder here in (crappy MN) I noticed that driving around with heat on HI doesn't really blow HOT air at times. Other times it blows extremely hot air. Any ideas?
I haven’t noticed this yet with my LR, but to be honest I haven’t driven much in the MN cold yet. Where in MN are you? I’m in the cities. Have you noticed the heat pump and fans being fairly loud from the outside in the cold? I was a little surprised - sounds like an idling regular car…

Dang that’s not good - now wishing I’d pulled the trigger on the Tesla winter wheels before they sold out! Since the snow I’ve only had it out a little bit on the local streets - was impressed with the regenerative anti-lock braking but now you’ve got me a bit nervous for any serious wintery driving…

Dang that’s not good - now wishing I’d pulled the trigger on the Tesla winter wheels before they sold out! Since the snow I’ve only had it out a little bit on the local streets - was impressed with the regenerative anti-lock braking but now you’ve got me a bit nervous for any serious wintery driving…

You really should not be driving your car in MN on the factory summer tires. You're asking for an accident, 100%. Heck, I remember back in the days I lived in MN I switched back from my winter tires on my 2008 STI to my summer tires, - just a few days early -, and nearly had pretty nasty accident.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Exactly have this problem. Model 3 and Y were great. In the Plaid I get cold / hot.

Yeah seems bizarre. I’ve since switched to manual vs auto this weekend to see if it solves it.

It seems better in manual but was not able to test a lot as my car has an issue with many electrical systems (ABS, suspension, steering, etc.). Luckily, I wasn't the first to have this problem so Tesla ordered the replacement part (a 3' cable!) to solve the issue.

It seems better in manual but was not able to test a lot as my car has an issue with many electrical systems (ABS, suspension, steering, etc.). Luckily, I wasn't the first to have this problem so Tesla ordered the replacement part (a 3' cable!) to solve the issue.
Yes, behaving much better for me in manual, no question. I can actually have the car at 70F manual and it’s warmer than at 72F auto. Clearly something isn’t quite right with the auto setting.

I have the model Y in Edmonton.
My heat went out today and I had no warning. It was -15 in the car today. I was frozen solid. Not a good time.. vehicle only 3 months old. No available slots until next Tuesday. Any suggestions. I spend a good portion of my day in the vehicle for work. Had to buy a blanket today to keep warm while driving. Pissed off that this expensive vehicle has this issue this early and found out that it's common occurrence? Definitely not suitable for a colder climates this is a safety issue.

I'm in Montreal and I get cold blowing air early in the process. They should keep fans off until air gets warmer.

I grew up driving in snow and I have been driving the plaid in the snow and ice for several weeks and can confirm that this car needs winter tires (not 4 seasons) and should only be driven in Chill mode on snow. T
My P100D was fine in the snow, but the plaid is way too powerful. Drive very carefully.