Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it’s originally designed as a testing platform for the roadster 2 drivetrain. The cost is high and thought unacceptable to be sold in Model S line. The reason Elon bring it to the market is to beat Taycan. Raven will stay on the market alongside Plaid, thank Porsche for their overpricing.

Triple motor drivetrain will become affordable a few years later. Then it can reach standard Model S without bumping the price point.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Elon Musk on Twitter

upload_2019-9-12_1-29-18.png

Am I the only one who feels this is a way of using whatever non-production prototype/rigged up unit to drive on the tracks to score PR wins? I wouldn’t be completely reassured whatever is on the tracks will actually ever — or is even planned to — appear as a consumer product for this reason. Maybe something called that, sure, but will it be the same? Thermal management, safety margins and all that included...

I.e. will a consumer ”Plaid” achieve the same results as here?

Hence the reason Ludicrous is now included, it's become the old Insane.

I think it's sooner than Elon's letting on, otherwise he'd slow/hurt current sales.

Not necessarily true. It will likely be a costly option and push the price way beyond $100,000. It could hurt the Taycan sales more than it hurts non-P S/X sales. Elon is not dumb.

Not necessarily true. It will likely be a costly option and push the price way beyond $100,000. It could hurt the Taycan sales more than it hurts non-P S/X sales. Elon is not dumb.
Interesting, a true performance Model rather than just 0-60 times. Actual discernible differences to the lower tier models. About time.
I was along the lines of that it was the new chassis for all, I guess in time it eventually will be but not until they milk it first.

3 motors...
How about this? A front performance motor, in the rear an efficient Raven motor and another performance motor. That should give it great range with that efficient motor, the 2 performance motors plus the 3rd motor would give it the wicked plaid zip. Having the third motor in the rear would take advantage of the additional rear traction as the car squats from the rapid acceleration.

If they can increase the S battery to say a 125 rom the 100, that would increase range by about 25% but at the cost of lower performance due to the increased weight.

Now, what to call it...

Reactions: Olle
I noticed it as well.
I do not have a definitive answer, but it looks like some sort of emergency shut-down. Maybe a way for the pilot to fully disconnect the high voltage battery in case of an emergency.

That was my guess but speculation is more fun.
Q type oil slick in case Taycan is behind?
Emergency Space x boost?
Device for pit-stops to drop the main pack beford drivng onto the stick-another-in device?
Someone figured how to Add Nitrous to Lithium?
Stealth diesel engine :eek:?
Ejecter seat instead of airbag option?