Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I'm not mistaken, they mentioned that "plaid" should have 3 engines and a new chassis.
Any speculation on the new chassis?
Is it to accomodate a different cell format?
It might be a new rear subframe to carry the two motors. And maybe a more direct steering rack and stiffer bushings all around the car if they want to make it more sport oriented?

• Informative
Reactions: f205v
What's the big red button for?
(I think that yellow box has a dozen AAA batteries in for emergency boost)

Since the Taycan has a Turbo S model.
That button is for Turbo mode. :)

Since childhood, I’ve been a huge Porsche fan, and previously owned a 911, but to call an EV a Turbo is so tone deaf.

The Red button may be a full electric cut off. Most race organizations require a "motor cutoff switch" for race track events. I don’t think it’s a requirement for the Ring, but it is a good safety factor.

What's the big red button for?
(I think that yellow box has a dozen AAA batteries in for emergency boost)

Because the Lever was to hard to quickly retrofit:

images

I have questions around the battery system being able to produce enough power for the 3 motor setup. Will Tesla repeat the 691HP debacle?

There is no way the pack will feed the motors to their individual peak output when all 3 are in use for a launch. But if you turn the wheels hard left or hard right they can use asynchronous power to the rear motors to make the car whip around nice and quick.

Traction will always be the limit with motors that powerful. Even if the battery pack could keep up traction control would be backing off the "throttle" most of the time anyway.

But maybe with 3 motors they can spread the load enough not to have to replace powertrain parts under warranty if you are launching your car a dozen times a day. Imagine if they could say, launch all you want, we'll make more.

So this new “plaid” Model S broke the record at Laguna Seca by 1 second. Previous record was from Model 3 Performance... It’s actually quite disappointing and unimpressive to see only 1 second shaved off or am I missing something here?

1 second per lap.... do a 50 lap race will equal to a 50 second lead time at the end of the race. That is almost a minute so imagine a car crossing the finish line and then the second car crosses 50 second later. That is a huge advantage.

In racing terms, 1 second faster on a single lap is massive.

1 second per lap.... do a 50 lap race will equal to a 50 second lead time at the end of the race. That is almost a minute so imagine a car crossing the finish line and then the second car crosses 50 second later. That is a huge advantage.

...in race terms. Over the course of an entire race of dozens of laps.

We're talking about comparing street cars here that aren't turning course record-setting times for a single lap. 1 second difference on street car times on a single lap isn't substantial in any way.

Source: I've personally done laps on Laguna Seca & various other tracks.