Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice, excellent writeup. So what could cause the delay? Is it just as several claim - that it's artificially there to distinguish it from LR or something?

Be careful with use of "LR". My RWD for instance is an "LR". I think you meant "to distinguish from AWD?"
LR is about the battery pack size, not the drivetrain configuration.

There is no proof that it's completely eliminated. Sandy Munro isn't an electric motor expert. He just said it looked impressive.
sorry. As you must know: absolutes are almost never true ["completely eliminated"].
It was/is considered a break through minimizing/countering torque ripple.

Torque ripple is an effect seen in many electric motor designs, referring to a periodic increase or decrease in output torque as the motor shaft rotates. It is measured as the difference in maximum and minimum torque over one complete revolution, generally expressed as a percentage.

Emetor - Glossary - Torque ripple

I think I read someone here claiming (Model S Plaid ) that LR RWD didn't have any delays, that only SR did. Then it can't be to save the drive train either.

Well that post you linked there just talked about "no torque ripple" in LR... It didn't mention anything about power delivery delays.

I have never been in an (RWD) SR to know how it compares to my (RWD) LR.

In my (RWD) LR, I think there isn't much delay in time from pedal press to "go", but the "go" isn't very dramatic off the line. It feels more lively above about 40mph.
Dual motor model S (with AC motors) launch much harder.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando and emmz0r
I doubt it would improve range, or charge rate.
It really is about performance... Some of which you could enjoy even off the track.

Musk has previously said “It will not be long before we have a 400-mile range car.”. I'm fairy certain he was talking about a Model S. He's also said that the Plaid Model S will come with a larger battery.
Tesla Model S Plaid will get an even bigger battery, Musk says - Roadshow

My guess is Plaid will be the top offering of the new Model S refresh that will include lower priced offerings with new battery pack architecture and a refreshed interior. The larger battery pack may be reserved for the Plaid variant initially but will likely be available in the non Plaid once they are able to produce enough of them. The same approach was taken when the 100 battery pack initially came out.

Well, when I said I doubt it would improve range, I meant doubt you would get more range out of the same battery. But, yeah, if they offer a bigger (more kwh) battery pack only for plaid then it could be the range king too. Get your $$$ ready...

Reactions: Flyguy
Musk has previously said “It will not be long before we have a 400-mile range car.”. I'm fairy certain he was talking about a Model S. He's also said that the Plaid Model S will come with a larger battery.

My guess is Plaid will be the top offering of the new Model S refresh that will include lower priced offerings with new battery pack architecture and a refreshed interior. The larger battery pack may be reserved for the Plaid variant initially but will likely be available in the non Plaid once they are able to produce enough of them. The same approach was taken when the 100 battery pack initially came out.

This ^^^.
Sign me up, what I've been waiting for.

Reactions: PhaseWhite
Didn't you recently get a Raven?
Yeah, and it's great!
Doesn't mean i can't lust after MORE power and better handling :)

Took some colleagues on a site visit yesterday. Used Summon to quickly get the car out of a parking spot (that the driver next door had made TOO small) and gave them a taste of Ludi +. They were super-impressed: the car performed fantastically well.