Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Pole Crash.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They updated the article:

http://wgnsradio.com/update-expensi...urfreesboro-driver-charged-with-dui-cms-14372

By the sound of things the driver was completely ok, but driving drunk is not good....

2 things stood out to me (aside from her being charged with DUI):

#1 She tried to blame the screen (and perhaps the screen did distract her)
#2 She's apparently a doctor. Wasn't the MS driver that hit the Honda in CA a doctor as well? I suppose it shouldn't be too surprising to see similar backgrounds considering the cost of the car.

The woman was taken to StoneCrest Medical Center in Smyrna and later released to police custody. At that point she was booked into the local jail under a $2,000 bond.
At this point, I'm more concerned about the car than the woman. Do you think they'll brick it at the impound lot? :(

- - - Updated - - -

messing with the radio
I mess with the radio (ok, internet radio in my case) all the time using the wheel controls. Where was the screen mentioned?

Ah, so *young* woman means an *adult woman old enough to have been married for well over decade and have teenage children*. Got it!

She made at least one good decision that day...she got in her Model S. I've no doubt it saved her from serious injury and possibly death.

2 things stood out to me (aside from her being charged with DUI):

#2 She's apparently a doctor. Wasn't the MS driver that hit the Honda in CA a doctor as well? I suppose it shouldn't be too surprising to see similar backgrounds considering the cost of the car.

#3 She's not that young. The article says she's 34.

Drunk, and severely so if she distinguish a policeman from a fireman, at 3 PM says a lot.

For some parents (the ones that can afford it), a P60 (or a P40 if they were in time) would be a smart move to protect their cherished child.

But yes, a P85 is asking for trouble.

...but not asking as hard as driving under the influence, driving recklessly, or distracted driving.

I do agree that a 40/60 is plenty fast enough for a teen, or anyone else for that matter. How fast does anyone really need to go anyway?

I mess with the radio (ok, internet radio in my case) all the time using the wheel controls. Where was the screen mentioned?

Fair enough, but I also don't take my eyes off the road when using the wheel controls, which led me to the (perhaps false) assumption she was messing on the screen, which I still think is likely how she meant it.

Drunk, and severely so if she distinguish a policeman from a fireman, at 3 PM says a lot.

To be fair, she had just been in a fairly major accident. Even sober she could've been really disoriented.

Agreed; this is why I never exceed the speed limit.

It's always hard to tell when you're joking.

Looks like a real world instance of the IIHS small overlap test. Good to see the impact deflected off to the side of the car and didn't intrude on the passenger's side.

I'm amazed that the passenger compartment doesn't appear to be deformed at all. This kind of strike usually causes severe damage, even in fairly modern automobiles.

Something really bad must have been going on for her to be that drunk at that time of day. I'm glad that nobody was killed, because this could easily have been as deadly as the incident where 2 people in an old Honda lost their lives during a collision with a Model S.

A moment of silence for the casualty of the day: P85 :crying: (I am saddened to see this beautiful car smashed up and lying in the grass... sniffles).

Is it wrong that I'm still more curious if it's a Sig than if she was talking about the touchscreen vs. the wheel radio controls?

I don't see any hints of the signature badging in the last picture.

Yeah, that babe was sauced at 3pm and driving a friggin' rocket (our Model S cars, that is). I really don't care what kind of day she was having but getting into the cockpit of Top Gun on wheels while drunk was just plain dumb. You can rest assured that her day got a lot worse after that wreck.

I'm going to a bachelor party this weekend and really don't plan on being sober for 2 days (which is very unusual for me, believe it or not). So to circumvent any possibility of driving while intoxicated, I hired a Limo for the weekend to tool me and the groom around (my future bro-in-law). But there's a magic twist - the Limo driver is a friend of mine and his Limo is none other than a Model S! So I can enjoy all the comforts of home (snuggled in the Model S as a passenger) and don't need to worry if I've had too much to drink.

That babe should have hired a Limo driver!

I'm glad she walked away as testament to the safety of Model S. I'm also happy she will face consequences for her actions. High performance cars are no joke. I've always said that BMW M, AMG, etc. should make buyers take vehicle car control and handling classes before they are ever allowed to take delivery. I've seen too many little punks who have no idea how to control a car try to race or 'show off' what mommy and daddy bought them with catastrophic results. Just the other day in my M6 some kid tried to race me in his AMG coupe and lost control after launching. SMH.

And my observation: not much happens in Murfreesboro, TN, apparently. That article is an absolute hoot. I'm sure it made the newspaper employees' day to see the expensive, one-of-a-kind Model S.

For some parents (the ones that can afford it), a 60 (or a 40 if they were in time) would be a smart move to protect their cherished child.

But yes, a P85 is asking for trouble.

Not to mention they can't go far, and you can always find put where they are.

Hey guys, stop dissing the 60!! It's just as much of a missile in careless hands such as this lady's. It can go quite far too!

Just curious: what if this doc gets another MSP but, is ordered to use an "ignition interlock" device by the court?! Bet some poor installer would be scratching his head :)