Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S potential buyers - what are you waiting for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How in the hell does this car not have that capability? Seriously???? We are talking about a car that can drive itself down the frickin freeway but it doesn't support one of the most popular phones in the world? Unreal.
Seems like a trivial negative to me, and I have owned iPhones for the past 6 years.
I would much rather have AutoPilot capability and continuous AP improvements than have Tesla spend any time and resources on improved iPhone integration. Right now I can play music and podcasts on my iPhone via Bluetooth to the car's speakers. Could it be improved? Obviously. But I'm fine with it as is.

For those of you waiting for this new feature or that new upgrade, you might as well go buy something else. As long as Tesla is in business, there will always be upgrades to the product line coming down the pike.

The question is: to potential buyers, what are you waiting for?
The question is not: why do you think I should not wait?

We know Tesla is continuously making advancements, which is why some of us are waiting for them.
In most cases, there are very specific things people are looking for, and its not about waiting for the next random update.

Hard to put into words..but it is softer, more plush, much more comfortable. It looks better as well. More polished and sophisticated. Mine are heated and cooled and have thousands of small holes in them for cooling. I have read that they may tear and a free fix is on the way to make them more durable. I've had no problems. The center console with an iphone charging dock is a nice additional feature as well...gives the car a more refined look and feel, instead of a large open space in the center console area (not sure if that's offered on new Model S or not...my 2014 S does not have that feature.)

Thanks for that. I do hope they make it into the S soon.

Seems like a trivial negative to me, and I have owned iPhones for the past 6 years.
I would much rather have AutoPilot capability and continuous AP improvements than have Tesla spend any time and resources on improved iPhone integration. Right now I can play music and podcasts on my iPhone via Bluetooth to the car's speakers. Could it be improved? Obviously. But I'm fine with it as is.

This isn't going to keep me from buying the car (already have a confirmed order for deliver later this month) I just think customers shouldn't have to compromise on something like this. It should be an expected feature in a car as technically advanced (and expensive) as this and just seems silly that there isn't a better integration.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as the iphone integration goes - give me a break! "My car won't talk to my phone!" if that's your biggest issue, life must be pretty darn good. This one doesn't even qualify as a "first-world" problem - more like a "zeroth world" one. I wish I had your problems! But hey, if it's that important to you, so be it. Go buy that Ford Fiesta or whatever so it can talk to your phone.

As mentioned before this didn't stop me from buying but customers have reasonable expectation for a car like this to have a good integration with their phone. That's all I'm saying....

Does the media system seriously not work with Iphones? Like at all? What's the issue with it? I really have no desire to transfer my media to a ghetto memory stick.

I stream podcasts from my iphone all the time. I would hate to lose that capability.

I stream podcasts just fine from my IPhone. Same goes for music as well. You just have to use the iphone to open the app and start it. Can't start it from the car.

I stream podcasts just fine from my IPhone. Same goes for music as well. You just have to use the iphone to open the app and start it. Can't start it from the car.
You just have to do something that illegal while driving...

Not to mention as someone who never has bluetooth enabled I prefer to just plug it in instead of enabling it.

For me it's not about the Model S, but rather the Model 3.

a. Trip planning w/ Chademo and HPWC integrated in.
b. 12V battery arranged to be serviceable/reachable by normal people.
c. Configured to be towed using conventional tow truck (lift & tilt).
d. Alert to my phone, that cold weather will make first leg of journey nearly unreachable.
e. 5-10% better dollar to the kilowatt-hour value.
f. Prominent statement about what, if any, expected revisions to range prediction
(charge estimation), occur in each SW update.
g. iPhone integration
h. 'squadron driving' -- where my Tesla creeps up to the Tesla in front by 1-5 feet, and the two radio back and forth to coordinate braking.
i. Anti-lateness feature (hah!)

You can pause podcasts and restart them from the car, even days later. (as long as you don't restart the phone).

I would love to see airplay integrated also, but only because I am a geek.

Frankly, the internet radio and podcasts available directly from the car are the killer feature for me. I listen to podcats 50% of the time, and live streaming 50% of the time in the car.
Streaming is simple as one tap on my favorite station.
Podcasts, requires me to start it on the phone, but then totally controlled from the car. It is not best, but definitively good enough.

I haven't used other cars with airplay integration, I am curious, but somehow, I am sure it is not as rosy at it sounds (like only some app work, crappy response, scrolling etc...). So, I know what i have, and I am happy

@Mike K. I don't think it's the price of the car that is holding up iOS integration (IOS is a Cisco trademark). Ford can afford to license the tech. because they can spread the cost over millions of cars not 50,000. A simple, low-tech headphone jack would suffice for me. Then I could get a Sony Walkman to play in the car (if I still had one).

You know, I had considered this before typing my last response and then I snapped back into reality. This company incurred the expense of designing a battery, motor, chassis and a ground breaking infotainment system. The cost for all of this is staggering. Assuming licensing is the thing holding them back, there's just no excuse for that. They might only be making 50,000 cars now but they certainly have ambitions to make exponentially more than that.

So for that reason I really hope it's not licensing holding them up. I honestly think it's just a matter of it not being important to them ​and thus just not important at all.

Have you guys seen the reviews on the new E class? Sure it has an ICE, but its valid competition for the MS and its autonomous driving has surpassed Teslas, not to mention other tech you can option.