Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Powered Lift gate Struts - Rear Lift Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're refusing to do it as a warranty issue.

If I knew it was only going to be $30 I'd go ahead and pay for them to just do it. It isn't as bad as some of the other pictures above, but still a concern as rust rarely gets better.

4uxJ1VT.png

4Nj8eJ9.png

IMG_6531.JPG
For what it's worth, I have the same problem with the rusting ball studs. They won't replace under warranty for me but are only charging $30.42 for a mobile repair like the previously shown invoice. I was just going to buy the part and fix it, but it's worth $30 to not have to deal with it myself, more work to go get the part. I will grease it up after they replace the parts.

Attachments

• IMG_6531.JPG
    IMG_6531.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 83
I know this is an old thread but i saw one a few weeks about that gave the part numbers needed for the clips and studs. Does anyone have a link they were not Tesla parts i want to say they linked VW parts. Just got in touch with Tesla and they want to replace both lift struts bolts and parts. Mine works fine just rusted bolts and clips. Any help is appreciated.

They are refusing to repair mine (still under warranty).

They're saying that "water is allowed to get in the doorjam and as a result rust may occur".

I've responded that it is a safety concern and a corrosion concern (corrosion may spread to body / door) and that if the are is expected to get wet it should be made from with an appropriate material.

Any further developments on this? I just took delivery of a used 2016 Model S 75D with very badly rusted liftgate struts, which I didn't notice until I had gotten home. Mine are literally flaking apart, and one is even leaking some hydraulic fluid into the gutter around the hatch opening. It's really bad. Incidentally, I'm up in Maine, and would be getting serviced in the Boston area if/when they decide to fix this issue for me. Do you have experience with either the Watertown or Dedham service locations?