Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Premium Center Console - Only in Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great, thanks for the pics. This is exactly what I was looking for. Now just need to decide how much this would bug me.

Everyone needs to decide that for themselves.

I can tell you that it bothers me much more than I thought it would. Every time I get in the car I notice it, and it bothers me. It reminds me that my car no longer looks good, and makes me feel stupid for having spent as much as I did on the car, with a company that clearly doesn't care enough about its customers to honor its promises. It has completely changed how I feel about Tesla and my P85D.

Before this console issue, I had had my issues with Tesla, but overall I was extremely satisfied, and I was a very vocal supporter of Tesla. I loved my P85D. This console issue has been like a cancer spreading, that can't be cut out, and can't be treated.

I know people will say I'm being silly, and that this is just a small thing, and a first-world problem, and that I should just enjoy the car. I wish it were that easy. I want to enjoy the car the way I used to. I spent more than four times more on this car and the accessories, etc. that went along with it than I did for any car I had ever purchased before this one. But I notice the glaring mismatch every time I get in the car, and it eats at me. I feel wronged. I hate feeling wronged by a company that I have spent so much time, energy, and, frankly, money on.

It's been more than a month now, and it's getting worse, not better.

I think a lawsuit is your only option! That is a huge amount of "pain and suffering" that only a large monetary judgement can soothe... Stop the "cancer"!!

:tongue:

I can tell you that it bothers me much more than I thought it would. Every time I get in the car I notice it, and it bothers me. It reminds me that my car no longer looks good, and makes me feel stupid for having spent as much as I did on the car, with a company that clearly doesn't care enough about its customers to honor its promises. It has completely changed how I feel about Tesla and my P85D.

Before this console issue, I had had my issues with Tesla, but overall I was extremely satisfied, and I was a very vocal supporter of Tesla. I loved my P85D. This console issue has been like a cancer spreading, that can't be cut out, and can't be treated.

I know people will say I'm being silly, and that this is just a small thing, and a first-world problem, and that I should just enjoy the car. I wish it were that easy. I want to enjoy the car the way I used to. I spent more than four times more on this car and the accessories, etc. that went along with it than I did for any car I had ever purchased before this one. But I notice the glaring mismatch every time I get in the car, and it eats at me. I feel wronged. I hate feeling wronged by a company that I have spent so much time, energy, and, frankly, money on.

I know people will say I'm being silly, and that this is just a small thing, and a first-world problem, and that I should just enjoy the car.

I think a lawsuit is your only option! That is a huge amount of "pain and suffering" that only a large monetary judgement can soothe... Stop the "cancer"!!

:tongue:

Well, that didn't take long.

I recognize that most people will not understand why this bothers me as much as it does. Even my wife thinks I'm being ridiculous. She says if I ever manage to get the obeche matte piece I'm so desperately trying to get she's going to break it over my head. (I'm pretty sure she is joking.)

I can't help how I feel. This is unbelievably upsetting to me. I sometimes lie awake at night, upset about the injustice of it.

But definitely keep poking fun at me about something that is obviously important to me if that's what you'd like to do.

I can understand Andyw2100's disappointment. I felt exactly the same way when I received an email that Tesla threw in the towel. While I can't speak for Andyw2100, I was totally insulted by Tesla's response. I waited for over a year - closer to 18 months - to be told sorry, no soup for you, get back in line. It was a totally disrespectful way for Tesla to handle the situation. I'm sure I can speak for many owners when I say that it's Tesla's response and treatment of its customers over console-gate that sparked our emotional reactions. We deserved much better.

The only reason I'm not as incensed as others anymore is because Tesla finally delivered on its promise to me. I received a CF console (limited quantities) along with custom side panels to match the black stitching of my 2013 vehicle. However, I am one of the lucky ones. While I am super thankful to Tesla for coming through for me, they did not do so for thousands of others.

I can understand Andyw2100's disappointment. I felt exactly the same way when I received an email that Tesla threw in the towel. While I can't speak for Andyw2100, I was totally insulted by Tesla's response. I waited for over a year - closer to 18 months - to be told sorry, no soup for you, get back in line. It was a totally disrespectful way for Tesla to handle the situation. I'm sure I can speak for many owners when I say that it's Tesla's response and treatment of its customers over console-gate that sparked our emotional reactions. We deserved much better.

The only reason I'm not as incensed as others anymore is because Tesla finally delivered on its promise to me. I received a CF console (limited quantities) along with custom side panels to match the black stitching of my 2013 vehicle. However, I am one of the lucky ones. While I am super thankful to Tesla for coming through for me, they did not do so for thousands of others.

I appreciate the support, AmpedRealtor, especially in light of the fact that we have often disagreed and butted heads a bit.

One of the most frustrating aspects of all this is that I think the vast majority of us who were waiting, though upset at how long things were taking, would have happily kept waiting versus being told "no soup for you." I understand there were production problems. Fine. Go back to the drawing board and find another supplier. Tell us there will be longer delays, and that we can either buy the Piano Black now, or wait another 6 months, 12 months, even 18 months if that's what it would take for the finish of our choice to become available, but don't just leave us with no option whatsoever to obtain the console in a finish that matches the rest of the interior of our six-figure cars. That solution was just a ridiculous one.

I think this would bug me, as well. So I'm thinking of ordering a set of veneers (e.g., http://www.amazon.com/Veneer-Variet...399361_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1436563624&sr=1-4) and staining one of the more neutral ones to match Obeche Matte.

For those owners with the black console, is there enough "headroom" on the surface to allow something like a 0.02" veneer to be glued to the surface?

Also, if anyone else has a lead on veneer samples that might better match Obeche Matte, would love to hear about it.

Thanks!

-- David

Also, if anyone else has a lead on veneer samples that might better match Obeche Matte, would love to hear about it.
I had previously looked into that and this is what I came up with this on eBay:
Zebrawood Composite Wood Veneer 48 | eBay

The Obeche is actually a very light/pale wood. It is used to make artificial veneers. The above Zebrawood is the look of the Tesla "Obeche", but you will have to stain it to get the actual darkness you want. There are other sources also available on eBay. I would recommend getting at least a paper backed veneer. Applying a raw veneer can be tricky on a smooth plastic surface.

They also make adhesive backed veneers (Peel and Stick/Pressure Sensitive Adhesive - PSA), which would be easier to install. although they generally come is very large sizes:
Zebra Wood Veneer | Zebrawood Veneer | Zebrano Veneer | Wood Veneer

They also make adhesive backed veneers (Peel and Stick/Pressure Sensitive Adhesive - PSA), which would be easier to install. although they generally come is very large sizes:
Zebra Wood Veneer | Zebrawood Veneer | Zebrano Veneer | Wood Veneer

Nice! If anyone in Northern California is interested in splitting a sheet of Zebrawood paper-backed with 3M adhesive, please PM me. If we can get 6 or 8 people, it should be ~$25 for enough to cover a console and a second piece to do stain experiments with.

-- David

Nice! If anyone in Northern California is interested in splitting a sheet of Zebrawood paper-backed with 3M adhesive, please PM me. If we can get 6 or 8 people, it should be ~$25 for enough to cover a console and a second piece to do stain experiments with.

-- David
I am not in Northern California, but I would still be interested in sharing in this. PM me if you would like to proceed.

Carbon Sheet Added to Console

That looks great and solves my concerns. Was carbon sheet installed before unit was installed in car?? Thanks.

This can be done with the real stuff for not much more money and greater durability and better match with the dash CF.

attachment.php?attachmentid=84889&d=1434898690.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=84890&d=1434898762.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=84891&d=1434898806.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=84892&d=1434898830.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=84893&d=1434898863.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=84894&d=1434898889.jpg

A while back, someone asked for photos of the piano black console with matte obeche and tan interior. Here's mine. The piano black door does look a bit out of place when it's closed, but mine rarely is. However, I can live with it for the convenience it provides.
IMG_5626.jpeg
IMG_5628.jpeg
IMG_5629.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5627.jpeg
    IMG_5627.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_5630.jpeg
    IMG_5630.jpeg
    27.9 KB · Views: 510
Question: Does the power for the phone connector come from one of the two original USB connectors, or is it effectively an additional connector? And are the two USB connectors still accessible once the center console is installed? I should think so, but I have not seen a photo that confirms that. Thanks!

Question: Does the power for the phone connector come from one of the two original USB connectors, or is it effectively an additional connector? And are the two USB connectors still accessible once the center console is installed? I should think so, but I have not seen a photo that confirms that. Thanks!

The service center will use the supplied (if selected when ordering) cord to connect to one of the two original USB connectors. Some people then plug it into a 12v -> USB adapter to get faster charging and leave these two ports open for other uses.

OK, thanks. It looks as if you have a choice of only the Apple connector or a micro-USB, though, not a choice to select "no phone connector." Am I missing something? Would I just tell the SC to omit it if I prefer that?

OK, thanks. It looks as if you have a choice of only the Apple connector or a micro-USB, though, not a choice to select "no phone connector." Am I missing something? Would I just tell the SC to omit it if I prefer that?

I was supplied a black plastic plug that could fill the gap if my iPhone connector was removed. So, I assume they can install the console with no connector.