Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Premium Center Console - Only in Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You left out a part.

There's a Tesla employee at the party. He (or she) sees your pain, has the best of intentions, and wants to help. The Tesla employee rushes over, and starts treating your wound. And as the burning pain gets worse, and you see the salt-shaker in her (or his) hand, you think to yourself, "Not again! How did I let this happen again!"

Elon Musk rushes over, and says he'll run down to the pharmacy to bring back some fantastic first aid cream. He says he'll be back with it in just a few minutes. Two hours later, you're still waiting.

Found this:

So which one of these companies screwed up and ruined our beloved console?

tesla-info.jpg

Found this:

So which one of these companies screwed up and ruined our beloved console?

My guess would be none of them.

I wonder, though, if we did find out what company made the consoles if there may be a way to obtain the replacement part in the trim finish of our choice directly from them. I would very possibly prefer one of the Matte Obeche doors Tesla rejected over the Piano Black one that I have now.

As someone suggested before there's almost certainly a too high reject rate on deliveries in to Tesla (and I guess in multiple consignments over time which was why the dates kept getting pushed back); it's likely that Tesla has acceptable random numbers of the different finishes which they are offering out to folks on the wait list one at a time. That makes sense.

I've been on the list since Oct 2013 but haven't received either the 'sorry' e-mail nor the 'click-now' e-mail nor a reply to my query asking what the situation is; I suspect there's unfortunately a black hole where a few of us are going to wait and get bad news and some of are going to get good news. Fingers crossed here!

Yes, and if I have learned one thing in the past few years, is that given enough time, Tesla will make things right.

1. Signature cars perks other than a travel bag
2. Lighted vanity mirrors
3. Hard drive access
4. 90 A pack
5. Matching center console
6. . . .

Still waiting that make it right moment for many promised unfulfilled.

Love of car but don't promise and then just forget you ever made one.

As someone suggested before there's almost certainly a too high reject rate on deliveries in to Tesla (and I guess in multiple consignments over time which was why the dates kept getting pushed back); it's likely that Tesla has acceptable random numbers of the different finishes which they are offering out to folks on the wait list one at a time. That makes sense.

I've been on the list since Oct 2013 but haven't received either the 'sorry' e-mail nor the 'click-now' e-mail nor a reply to my query asking what the situation is; I suspect there's unfortunately a black hole where a few of us are going to wait and get bad news and some of are going to get good news. Fingers crossed here!

Nigel, I've been on the waiting list since October 2013 as well and just got an email with an offer to purchase one. As noted up thread, I would suggest sending an email to [FONT=arial, sans-serif]onlineorders[/FONT] at teslamotors.com to inquire about your status. Might speed things up a bit. Good luck.

...I would suggest sending an email to onlineorders at teslamotors.com to inquire about your status. Might speed things up a bit. Good luck.

I sent that email on Monday but didn't get a reply. Coincidentally I finally got the standard e-mail tonight apologizing and offering me a piano black.... :mad:

And when I click on the purchase link in the email I was sent tonight I get the message "Sold Out".....[sigh] :mad:

I sent that email on Monday but didn't get a reply. Coincidentally I finally got the standard e-mail tonight apologizing and offering me a piano black.... :mad:

And when I click on the purchase link in the email I was sent tonight I get the message "Sold Out".....[sigh] :mad:

An easy solution there would have been to put some Piano Black to the side and offer them to folks on the waitlist via private link like they are doing with the non-piano consoles. Maybe they've got other plans, but even if they prove to be a net-positive, it's hard to undo the angst (sig owner speaking here, heh).

... And when you then reply to this e-mail telling them you'd like to switch to piano black, they apologize for it being sold out and for not knowing when new ones will be available and for not operating a waiting list...

I'm so sorry to hear that. One thing I think we can all agree on is that Tesla handled this issue very poorly from beginning to end. I hope they will offer a new option for everyone soon. Along with door pockets and better cup holders, I'm one who thinks that both front and rear center consoles should have been designed into the car from the very beginning as a standard.

I received a thoughtful email from Krista, who is on the accessories team and the person with whom I've been corresponding since January or February. She not only apologized, but said that this decision was not made lightly because Tesla does not like to disappoint its customers. I appreciated the courtesy. I can't speak to why things ended up the way they did from a customer service standpoint, but it looks like they are learning and probably won't make the same mistakes again.

One of the issues Tesla has to deal with, no doubt, is given their rather low quantities they probably can't source products from top tier suppliers. I'm not excusing the communication side of things, not at all, but I'm sure Tesla faced a lot more challenges with this product than we may ever know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so sorry to hear that. One thing I think we can all agree on is that Tesla handled this issue very poorly from beginning to end. I hope they will offer a new option for everyone soon. Along with door pockets and better cup holders, I'm one who thinks that both front and rear center consoles should have been designed into the car from the very beginning as a standard.

I agree with you on this. I do not get the whole bowling alley thing. I adore my new Tesla, but, as someone who will usually grab a meal a day on the road when they are home the drink holders are quite impractical and there is no place to put change and any option I look into simply makes my car look less classy.

Sorry to all of you are going through this. I am new here so will expect my console (whatever the heck it might be in the future) about the time I will be turning my Tesla lease in ;)

I received a thoughtful email from Krista, who is on the accessories team and the person with whom I've been corresponding since January or February. She not only apologized, but said that this decision was not made lightly because Tesla does not like to disappoint its customers. I appreciated the courtesy. I can't speak to why things ended up the way they did from a customer service standpoint, but it looks like they are learning and probably won't make the same mistakes again.

One of the issues Tesla has to deal with, no doubt, is given their rather low quantities they probably can't source products from top tier suppliers. I'm not excusing the communication side of things, not at all, but I'm sure Tesla faced a lot more challenges with this product than we may ever know.

Yeah, but one would expect that when they took the very difficult decision to discontinue all consoles except for Piano Black, they would have put more thought into how to treat all the customers on the waiting list. Telling them that they can switch to an alternative option that's sold out, for which they do not operate a waiting list and for which they do not know when (or if?) it will be available again clearly is not the way to go.

I fear this may be it for Tesla Model S front center consoles altogether. Hope I'm wrong.

I received a thoughtful email from Krista, who is on the accessories team and the person with whom I've been corresponding since January or February. She not only apologized, but said that this decision was not made lightly

I don't mean to offend, but what the heck is she apologizing to you for? You're getting exactly what you want, which seems to be a custom made console, with custom stitching. It's those of us that aren't getting what we want, and what we were promised that deserve the apologies.

But I don't want an apology anyway. All I want is a console that doesn't look ridiculous in my car. Is that really too much to ask?