Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Price Cut 1 Day after delivery...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

drshan

Jan 5, 2017
Pittsburgh
I took deliver of a new Test Model S last Saturday (6 days ago). I now see the massive price drop came the following Monday, does anyone have knowledge on how this will be "handled"? I am still within the 7 day return window.

I reached out to local tesla in my hometown and they said they would email or contact corporate.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
I hate to say this but I'd seriously consider bringing the car back RIGHT NOW while you're still in the return window and tell them you want a price adjustment IN WRITING or want them to take the car back.

Once you're past 7 days you're just gonna get the endless runaround by Tesla's inept service organization. You may ultimately prevail, but it's not gonna be easy for you.

I took deliver of a new Test Model S last Saturday (6 days ago). I now see the massive price drop came the following Monday, does anyone have knowledge on how this will be "handled"? I am still within the 7 day return window.

I reached out to local tesla in my hometown and they said they would email or contact corporate.

Hopefully you reached out in writing...

Basically threaten to return it.
In the past, people who've done that received a price adjustment.

I agree with all. The safe play is to get it in writing ASAP. If that can’t happen, much of a hassle as it is in the return, you don’t want to live in the land of “maybe.”

Hopefully they’ll just be good with it and it will prove easy for you (and better for them too, in neither of you having to deal with a return).

Same story again.
If TSLA has resources to lower price for all future purchases, why not to do it in more fair way for those few recent buyers, like prorating the discount back, say 3% per day.
All around looks like Mr. Musk is just playing with the price tag, dropping it randomly and doing funky numbers ("420"), but couldn't care less about customers' experience that's causing.

Reactions: croman
Same story again.
If TSLA has resources to lower price for all future purchases, why not to do it in more fair way for those few recent buyers, like prorating the discount back, say 3% per day.
All around looks like Mr. Musk is just playing with the price tag, dropping it randomly and doing funky numbers ("420"), but couldn't care less about customers' experience that's causing.

Tesla doesn't owe anything not care for existing customers. In fact I'm sure part of the reason why they cancelled the return policy is to stop people whining about refunds every time there is a price drop, of which there are many more to come I am sure.

Reactions: LN1_Casey
Same story again.

It might look like he's playing, because of the use of 69,420, but that's just hiding Tesla's need to cut prices in the face of competition, and to try to hit their 500k target.

What are the odds that they will just tell me to return it if that is my wish?
I took delivery a week ago and there was a price drop 3 days after delivery but Tesla automatically filed a 3k refund process for me. Mine is performance which only had 3k price drop unlike LR+ that had a price drop of 5500. Call them and they should be able to get it sorted out for you

You guys are ridiculous . Prices change all the time , there’s always going to be someone to buy it at the price it was before a drop. That’s the game , Auto industry is fickle , I can go to 4 different BMW dealerships and get the same model at 4 different prices. Sure it sucks .. but unfortunately you aren’t owed anything . Take some responsibility. There’s no way of warning customers of a potential price decrease without jeapordizing current sales . Get a grip. If they honor some prorated discount , cool . But to cry and want to return the car . It’s comical

You guys are ridiculous . Prices change all the time , there’s always going to be someone to buy it at the price it was before a drop. That’s the game , Auto industry is fickle , I can go to 4 different BMW dealerships and get the same model at 4 different prices. Sure it sucks .. but unfortunately you aren’t owed anything . Take some responsibility. There’s no way of warning customers of a potential price decrease without jeapordizing current sales . Get a grip. If they honor some prorated discount , cool . But to cry and want to return the car . It’s comical

Well, Tesla is not like other dealerships. They don't operate like other dealerships and shouldn't be compared to other dealerships. They don't advertise like other dealerships and believe in their product so much so that they offer 7 days or 1000 miles return policy. (I'm hearing they changed this policy as of today)

No one has to agree with this sentiment but at least try to understand that it is only natural to feel bummed out if their is a price adjustment just days or weeks after you made a big purchase. Now top it off with the company guaranteeing a full refund for upto 7 days after delivery then it makes the choice of wanting a refund so much more realistic and easier to ask for. Therefore, as long as customers are within the 7 day return window it's are easier for them to ask for price adjustment credit. That's all this is.

If Best Buy lowers the price of a TV by 40% when I’m still within the return policy, they refund the difference, no questions asked.

Why should Tesla be any different? This is THEIR pricing model. Own it and live by it, or change it (which apparently they did today).

Tesla doesn't owe anything not care for existing customers. In fact I'm sure part of the reason why they cancelled the return policy is to stop people whining about refunds every time there is a price drop, of which there are many more to come I am sure.
If Best Buy lowers the price of a TV by 40% when I’m still within the return policy, they refund the difference, no questions asked.

This.
Just a fair business practice TSLA has no idea about.