Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Price Cut: How Telsa treats new owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It always amazes me how people endlessly complain about this every time it happens. Yes it sucks if you recently bought, but tesla is a business, they have to make money. Im happy tesla continues to lower prices and have more features.

If your car took an extra $9k hit overnight, you'd be moaning too.

Tesla often changes the prices of it's offerings. Sometimes up, and sometimes down.

Same thing with most other manufacturers.

People are happy when they buy just before a price increase, and less happy when the price goes down shortly after their purchase.

Don't know how in the World they could possibly satisfy everyone.

Had the same thing happen at my favorite gas station. Filled up on my way to work, and was slightly irritated to see the price had dropped 10 cents when I passed it again on the way home. Felt that I had chosen poorly. If the price would have been raised 10 cents, I thought I would have made a better choice filling up in the morning.

Same thing has happened with people that purchased solar a few years ago. Now it is about 30% less.

Tesla will continue to drive down the cost and increase the value of driving electric.

As the market place and their production costs change, they must constantly adjust the value they offer their customers.

Not anymore...I bought a schlage lock for $200. 2 weeks later it fell down to $150 and they couldn't refund me the difference, rather they suggested I return and reorder the item!!

They intentionally confused you... just return and reorder, but you have to reverse the sequence to make their suggestion works :) If their pricing screws customers the cheapy way.

Well, the best part is no question would be asked, plus if you can manage to avoid the restocking fee, and AMZN still goes higher and higher.

I am sure Amazon will develop a new way for selling car, like stripping off VIN from cars, like phones without IMEI or without SIM to the least, since cars will become gadgety cheap relatively.

I don't understand the issue. When you purchased the car you knew the price and were presumably satisfied with what you were getting in exchange for the money. I guess some gesture of goodwill from Tesla would be nice to have but it is asking a little much.

I think OP's story is a bit different, if he's presented it accurately. If Tesla pushed his delivery date ahead of the planned pricing adjustment when it had been scheduled for after the announcement date then there is a moral case (I don't know about legal) that they tricked him into accepting delivery when they knew he may well have declined to take delivery when originally scheduled. That's a much worse practice - I'd call it unethical.

Problem is Tesla operates like a technology company with product cycles and price cuts measured in weeks & months, rather than months & years like most auto manufactures, and customers haven’t adapted to that yet. The fact Tesla does very little ‘telegraphing’ doesn’t help either – we usually know when Apple is going to make our iPhone obsolete 6-months in advance. So, we accept the fact our $800 iPhone will be $25 in a year but have heartburn when our $79K is now worth $70K… at least the price didn’t get discounted to $2,500.

I think OP's story is a bit different, if he's presented it accurately. If Tesla pushed his delivery date ahead of the planned pricing adjustment when it had been scheduled for after the announcement date then there is a moral case (I don't know about legal) that they tricked him into accepting delivery when they knew he may well have declined to take delivery when originally scheduled. That's a much worse practice - I'd call it unethical.

I find the link between encouraging delivery before the end of a quarter and planned pricing changes to be tenuous at the very best.

Tesla wants to deliver cars before the end of the quarter because it helps their delivery numbers. Not because it presents a unique opportunity to make a few extra people feel screwed.

• Disagree
Reactions: SocalMS
This happens quite a bit with electronics, although it typically involves a product a fraction of the cost of a Tesla. Television pries fall through the year. I recently bought a television for $1000 that just a few months previously was selling for $1600. However, it is a totally new concept in the automobile world. I can't think of an example among traditional automakers in which a price drop of this significance has ever happened.

This also affects the value of a used Model S as well. When a new Model S can be obtained for several thousand cheaper than it could be a week before, that's going to put downward pressure on pre-owned cars as well. I had been watching the CPO prices over the last week or so and I could tell something was happening. The inventory kept falling and prices of the remaining cars remained high. However, today it looks like Tesla put an addition 200 or so CPO cars on the website and the prices are dramatically lower. There are now 8 S85s that can be purchased for under $50,000, including a 2013 P85 with just under 46,000 miles.

I bought a TV that's $500 cheaper 3 months after i bought it, maybe i should go complain to best buy too and see if they'll give me a refund. Such pricing changes is the reality of not only buying consumer goods, but just life in general. I sympathize with the OP, it stings and burns, but what about all the model S owners out there who shelled out a lot more $$$ and got a lot less than what we did.

What is tesla supposed to do? not introduce price changes or new features at all to avoid angering legacy owners? For every 1 person sore about the price drop, there are 10 more people excited about being able to afford a car they want now. I'm happy about the price drop simply because it gave me the opportunity to upgrade for only $2k instead of $7k from a 60 to 75.

While i know if i had ordered a 75 now i would've saved a couple grand but i choose to look on the bright side knowing i got my model S 3 months earlier at the very least.
Its so easy when you are on the other end of getting screwed verse getting the better deal. If you paid the higher price a month earlier you would not be so cheerful about it.

Reactions: croman
Funny how people get offended by OP. For a lot of people $9k is a lot of money. Remember that it's not like OP bought a loaded $160k P100 or something. There are a lot of people who are doing a lot of financial sacrifices to buy a tesla especially those who buy the 60/75.

Also notice most that are offended are not the ones screwed. Its easy to see it the other way when you are not the one taking the hit.

I find the link between encouraging delivery before the end of a quarter and planned pricing changes to be tenuous at the very best.

Tesla wants to deliver cars before the end of the quarter because it helps their delivery numbers. Not because it presents a unique opportunity to make a few extra people feel screwed.

I did say 'if' because we don't know. But certainly someone in sales management knew of the pricing decisions and still went ahead with accelerating deliveries.

Gosh I feel so, so sorry for you... I paid $106,000 for my P85 in 2013. Today I can pay $3,000 less and get 30 miles more range, nicer seats and other bits, identical performance, *and* all wheel drive. Cry me a river as I look for my violin. Being "pressured" to take an earlier delivery was your first clue that something was going on, message not received?

Funny how people get offended by OP. For a lot of people $9k is a lot of money. Remember that it's not like OP bought a loaded $160k P100 or something. There are a lot of people who are doing a lot of financial sacrifices to buy a tesla especially those who buy the 60/75.
I don't see anyone getting offended. Just that people think it is naive to expect compensation for price drops on a tech product. We can have sympathy for the OP feeling pissed off about it (totally understand that), but then on the other hand don't feel any compensation is warranted.

Its so easy when you are on the other end of getting screwed verse getting the better deal. If you paid the higher price a month earlier you would not be so cheerful about it.

of course i'd be upset, but whining wouldn't accomplish anything. Price changes for consumer goods is a reality of life. Whats the alternative? Tesla never lower the price of anything ever again?

Scenario 1:
. You order a Tesla - delivery due in 60 days.
. You take delivery of your car
. Price drops the day after you take delivery
:: Summary - Done Deal.

Scenario 2:
. You order a Car - delivery due in 60 days.
. During the 60 day period, car price drops by 10%
. You have not taken delivery yet
. Tesla refuses to retroactively give you the new lower price
:: Summary - RAW Deal.

Tesla is being petty in Scenario 2.

Offering the lower price in Scenario 2 would:
1. Make little difference to Tesla's cashflow
2. Make no difference in their stock price
3. Make a huge difference in showing customer good will

When I bought my 70D at the beginning of April 2016, I got it just before the price bump but Tesla elected to go ahead and give me the new front end, LED headlights, the center console, a better onboard charger, and a software-limited 75D. I didn't pay for those things, but they gave them to me, and it saved me several thousand dollars. That's a win.

In October 2016 I unlocked the full potential of the battery, 75D, and paid a little over $3k for it. Now the price is only $500. I'd be lying if I said I haven't used those extra 19 miles, or enjoyed the extra comfort that comes with them as I live in a very rural area. But it's still a loss.

Win some, lose some. That's Tesla. That's life.

We'll be back here again when newer cars are able to accept 350kW+ supercharging and when autopilot 2.5 comes out - both upgrades that cannot be retrofitted and will require a new car.

Enjoy what you got, dude. And roll with the punches.