Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Price Cut: How Telsa treats new owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my story about the recent price cut.
  • Ordered a new Model S 75D (with optional glass roof, $1500 option) in early February. This is my second Model S (owned a 2013). Also have a deposit on a 3
  • Mid-March, Tesla contacts me - all of a sudden its a rush to arrange delivery, which was challenging due to my work and travel
  • Big push to get me to take delivery prior to end of Q, which I did on March 30 by changing my schedule, etc.
  • April 17, Telsa announces i) $7500 price cut on 75D, and ii) inclusion of glass roof for free.
  • Thus I either overpaid $9000, or my car just depreciated by $9000
  • Contact Tesla - get a run around for two weeks. They seem very reluctant to say - "you are screwed, we aren't going to do anything"
Finally get the note below -

I want to thank you for your patience. Your feedback regarding this price change is valuable and I have passed along your feedback through our internal channels.

While Tesla is not going to offer price adjustments, I am determined to offer you excellent service.

Please feel free to call me, if you so desire, so we can discuss.

Anyone else have this experience? What can you do in this situation? If it were a few hundred $ not a problem - but its $9k!

I paid $9K for the 65kWh to 75kWh battery upgrade at the first of the year. Tesla dropped the price for the same upgrade to $2k just last week. I get it, prices change. However, I'm not gonna lie, it rubs me the wrong way. I wouldn't expect a $7K refund but an extra $1K discount on a future purchase would have been an appreciated gesture.

I get that it's an emerging technology but Tesla isn't a boutique company anymore. Pissing people off isn't a good way to foster brand loyalty. Really any kind of goodwill gesture would go a long way when Tesla does something like this.

Tesla is currently working hard to piss me off a third time by giving me the runaround on getting my powerwalls installed. If there was competition at this point I would definitely be considered those options even if they were to cost a bit more. Eventually there will be competition.

The OP presents this as if it were an immediate price change.

The order was in "early February." The "immediate" price change...2 months later.

This only "pisses off" people who think a current purchase price retroactively applies to some indefinite period of past purchases. A purchase is an instant in time. Attempting to flux capacitor your way into something that is more beneficial for you...is a sense of entitlement. Or would you be fine with paying Tesla the difference when they increase the price of a vehicle you purchased 2 months ago?

Here is my story about the recent price cut.
  • Ordered a new Model S 75D (with optional glass roof, $1500 option) in early February. This is my second Model S (owned a 2013). Also have a deposit on a 3
  • Mid-March, Tesla contacts me - all of a sudden its a rush to arrange delivery, which was challenging due to my work and travel
  • Big push to get me to take delivery prior to end of Q, which I did on March 30 by changing my schedule, etc.
  • April 17, Telsa announces i) $7500 price cut on 75D, and ii) inclusion of glass roof for free.
  • Thus I either overpaid $9000, or my car just depreciated by $9000
  • Contact Tesla - get a run around for two weeks. They seem very reluctant to say - "you are screwed, we aren't going to do anything"
Finally get the note below -

I want to thank you for your patience. Your feedback regarding this price change is valuable and I have passed along your feedback through our internal channels.

While Tesla is not going to offer price adjustments, I am determined to offer you excellent service.

Please feel free to call me, if you so desire, so we can discuss.

Anyone else have this experience? What can you do in this situation? If it were a few hundred $ not a problem - but its $9k!
Welcome to Tesla's stealership :)
With other car makers, you can see new models and changes coming months ahead of time. You expect some discounts on end of year models, if they don't run out (happened to me once during the Great recession; as they cut back on production and carry low inventory). Here it is all very unpredictable. Or may be, it can be predicted by the rush. The more Tesla pushes, the higher the chance something is lurking behind :(

Last edited:
It is important to remember that Tesla's Direct Sales model ensures that everybody is treated equally at the time. The price is the price, there is no negotiating, contrary to the traditional franchise dealer sales model of all other car manufacturers. There are people who end up paying different prices for the exact same car at the exact same time due to the franchise dealer model. Now that is unfair and people have been forced to put up with it forever. Have you ever walked out of a franchise dealership and thought to yourself, "Gee, that was a pleasant experience..." I haven't. I feel like I need to take a shower.

How is changing the prices of options and packages anything to do with cutting edge? There is no change in features. Just change in prices here.
Typical scenario for tech products is either you get more features for the same price, or you get the same features but the price drops because technology makes the same thing cheaper. Same thing either way in terms of the scenario of an older buyer being pissed off that they missed out by not waiting.

I bought a TV that's $500 cheaper 3 months after i bought it, maybe i should go complain to best buy too and see if they'll give me a refund. Such pricing changes is the reality of not only buying consumer goods, but just life in general. I sympathize with the OP, it stings and burns, but what about all the model S owners out there who shelled out a lot more $$$ and got a lot less than what we did.

What is tesla supposed to do? not introduce price changes or new features at all to avoid angering legacy owners? For every 1 person sore about the price drop, there are 10 more people excited about being able to afford a car they want now. I'm happy about the price drop simply because it gave me the opportunity to upgrade for only $2k instead of $7k from a 60 to 75.

While i know if i had ordered a 75 now i would've saved a couple grand but i choose to look on the bright side knowing i got my model S 3 months earlier at the very least.

We want EV prices to come down right?
But as others have stated, a goodwill gesture of some kind would be nice and is very cheap PR since you have raised the issue.
As I stated on another thread, management really dont care about the customers.
In my world, they would automatically give all customer in this situation a goodwill gesture without you having to complain. Might be a simply $500 voucher. or $1000 if you already had a previous/additional Tesla.

The problem is that even with a goodwill gesture it's a very slippery slope. If they decide to give people who ordered the car 30 days before the price drop a $1000 credit then the people who ordered the car 31 or 32 days before the price drop get upset that they didn't get anything. There needs to be a line somewhere and the line tesla has taken is that if you ordered before the price drop then unfortunately you are out of luck.