Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Price Increase discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't got a high performance car, nor would I ever need or want one. I am comparing the Model S (non-Perf!) to what it would replace here, my Diesel car with great fuel efficiency. As the electricity mix which powers the Model S includes a lot of fossil fuel power, it isn't really very good for the environment just because it hasn't got an exhaust pipe.

I don't want to take this any further off topic but dig a little into the environmental impact of an EV on the standard fuel mix where you live (and of diesel). If you are comparing a large 4,600lb sedan against a small efficient ICE then the smaller car will likely be more efficient.

Every car I know of in the US at least requires a checkup every year or X miles (whichever comes first) to keep warranty intact. You can skip it but if something goes wrong and they determine it was because you didn't come in they won't cover it (same with Tesla actually).

Anyway, comparing the Model S to a car that costs 1/4 the amount means the cheaper car will win the economic argument every time. I'm sure the Zoe is a great car from what I've read so will be interesting to read the comparison. Thanks.

Don't hurt yourself stepping off of your oh so high soapbox. :)

It's only a soapbox because you're not up there with me... :)

- - - Updated - - -

The electricity is produced burning coal so the S is still tied to fossil fuels... The Model S is a great electric car but it is also in competition with the high end lux market. There are and should be high expectations at this price point.

And when you clean up that centralized power source, you clean up every single EV on the road instantly. You cannot do that with any ICE vehicle because an ICE vehicle will forever burn gasoline and produce pollutants and CO2 emissions. See the difference? I live in a state where we have roughly equal mixes of coal, nuclear and hydro. I have a 14 kWh solar array on my roof which charges my vehicle and feeds green power back to the grid for my neighbors to enjoy, which lessens everyone's reliability on fossil fuels. I'm not just helping myself, I'm also helping my community.

- - - Updated - - -

If driving electric doesn't at least crack the top 5 reasons for buying the car then it will be a tough sale.

This is my point. For some people, buying a Model S is no different than a BMW or Mercedes - they are comparing everything but the drive train. Look, the Model S is not going to be as luxurious and opulent as a Mercedes. Can we just get over it? Despite what some of you may think, luxury is not the primary selling point of Model S. It just isn't - anyone who has looked at the vehicle or sat in it knows that it is not on the same level as a high end Mercedes, BMW, etc.

If the electric drive train, ease of charging, and extended range do not trump the quality of the leather or design of the cup holders, then I'm afraid you are completely missing the point of this vehicle. If you are more concerned with having a 360º camera, night vision and HUD in your vehicle, and you are so laser focused on those amenities, you are completely missing why this car is wonderful. If your concern for being bathed in luxury trumps your concern for the environment and lessening our reliance on unsustainable and destructive fossil fuels, you really are better served with a vehicle that better fits your world view.

Some people look marvel at the Model S as being a kick ass EV with some really nice amenities and features. Others look down on it for not having enough lux features as compared to other cars in its price range, completely ignoring the EV side of the story. For those people - and there are a few of you here - I simply say go elsewhere. If all you care about is luxury and the EV and sustainability part are not part of the equation for you, I don't think you will ever appreciate why this car is held in such high esteem.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, sorry to destroy your illusions, but the major part of electricity worldwide (with the exception of some lucky and wise countries like Norway) is still produced (and even with the current change towards renewables will be for decades to come) by burning fossil fuels, mainly coal, oil or gas or - even worse - by nuclear power.
As long as that fact remains, driving a Model S is in no way better for the environment (or consciousness) than driving a modern ICE car with a great actual mpg. (We live 5 miles from a large coal power station, so the air we breathe wouldn't be much better by getting rid of my ICE car).

I'd love to see your references on this. According to you, because "the major part of electricity worldwide is still produced by burning fossil fuels", we should not look at the Model S as being better for the environment than a gas guzzling BMW M5 - which uses more fossil fuels to manufacture and then requires a lifetime of burning gasoline? I'm sorry but I just don't agree with your assertions.

So of course I would like to drive an even more environmentally friendly car (which the Model S isn't - see above), but even so a car for me has to fulfill certain expectations (which the Model S doesn't - anymore), not that they would be overly luxurious. (for example I wouldn't call expecting power folding mirrors on such a huge car a stretch of the imagination, nor expecting a parcel shelf as standard when even any small hatchback has one).

But putting the inclusion of a parcel shelf and power folding mirrors ahead of the car being electric and much more environmentally friendly clearly shows - again - that you are not the market for this vehicle and should probably go and buy something that gives you the kind of cup holders you want. Because that's why we buy a car, right, to carry our coffees and cover our luggage from prying eyes?

- - - Updated - - -

Given the long list of mandatory options you have I agree, you should probably look to something else. I don't see how the Zoe would be a better driving experience though or have more power.

But the Zoe has a scent diffuser! lol

couldn't agree more.

this is my first EXPENSIVE car. (I did have a 335i before the MS but before that it was 2 civics and a toyota celica. The 335i was less than HALF of the MS and was a fantastic car!).

there was an article a few weeks ago talking about how electric cars are such a new/novel idea/product that pricing and looks (of the vehicle) don't seem to matter.

I definitely know many people that drive $75k + vehicles that bought a prius or a volt or a leaf. (ie. "well off" families buying "cheap" electric/hybrid (cosmetically challenged vehicles).

I am a prime example of the reverse/opposite. I know at least a few people that bought this car that are in the lower end of the "middle class".

This price increase just seems like it is going to alienate/eliminate that small part of the their market......

I do also agree with the other comments though regarding "fair market value". Clearly the demand is still there and since there are still production constraints (for whatever reason) an obvious (and lucrative) solution is to "inch up" the price until supply=demand.

I paid 109k for my P85 fully loaded. (Plus model was not out at that time (thank god!)).

For those of you interested in the car but waiting.....I hope you are at least investing in the stock! Now the stock will have to appreciate FASTER than the price increases to make your procrastination worth it!

sorry to destroy your illusions, but the major part of electricity worldwide (with the exception of some lucky and wise countries like Norway) is still produced (and even with the current change towards renewables will be for decades to come) by burning fossil fuels, mainly coal, oil or gas or - even worse - by nuclear power. As long as that fact remains, driving a Model S is in no way better for the environment (or consciousness) than driving a modern ICE car with a great actual mpg. (We live 5 miles from a large coal power station, so the air we breathe wouldn't be much better by getting rid of my ICE car).

I'm going to do my best to not write the visceral response I had to such rubbish. First of all, even when using in a coal plant for power to charge the MS it is STILL better then an ICE... and not by a little. Secondly, most if not all of Tesla's supercharger stations are run from solar and many people (including myself) install solar charging stations for their vehicles. Major cities across the US are moving to a 20% renewable portfolio by 2020 and 50% by 2040. It's slow, but progress usually is. The maintenance costs on an electric motor is considerably less then that of an ICE so, all in all IF you are in the market for a high end car such as a Maserati Quatroporte, Jaguar XF or similar, this really is a much better car for the money with a much lower cost of ownership IMHO.

I just priced out my car, with the exact same options as i have to see what price increase is. It went up $8,000! Wow! Glad I bought when I did, or i wouldn't have gotten a Tesla. It was already just at my absolute limit, this would have pushed me over for sure. I imagine there are folks wanting in the club that can't now. I imagine this price increase will eliminate some middle class purchasers, which is too bad. I remember when this was supposed to be a $50,000 car.

If the electric drive train, ease of charging, and extended range do not trump the quality of the leather or design of the cup holders, then I'm afraid you are completely missing the point of this vehicle. If you are more concerned with having a 360º camera, night vision and HUD in your vehicle, and you are so laser focused on those amenities, you are completely missing why this car is wonderful. If your concern for being bathed in luxury trumps your concern for the environment and lessening our reliance on unsustainable and destructive fossil fuels, you really are better served with a vehicle that better fits your world view.

Some people look marvel at the Model S as being a kick ass EV with some really nice amenities and features. Others look down on it for not having enough lux features as compared to other cars in its price range, completely ignoring the EV side of the story. For those people - and there are a few of you here - I simply say go elsewhere. If all you care about is luxury and the EV and sustainability part are not part of the equation for you, I don't think you will ever appreciate why this car is held in such high esteem.

Well, where to start.

1) Of course the Model S is a kick ass EV, I NEVER said anything to the contrary. I absolutely adore (do I sound too much like Jeremy Clarkson at this point? Sorry for that.) the EV aspect of the Model S
2) Amenities have never been MY priority, nor are they the main selling point of a Model S of course.
3) But even though this car is a kick ass EV, it costs as much as a luxury ICE car over here. With the 85er battery and some options it's 100K Euro (non Perf of course), for crying out loud! What I am saying and all I have been saying all along is that at that price point, customers (not ME in particular, because at 100K Euro the Model S is out of my price range now anyway) are not just looking for the "kick ass EV" aspect, but comparing the car as a whole (at least here they do). And those customers care about build quality and amenities a lot, even though it might not be a dealbreaker alltogether.

I'd love to see your references on this. According to you, because "the major part of electricity worldwide is still produced by burning fossil fuels", we should not look at the Model S as being better for the environment than a gas guzzling BMW M5 - which uses more fossil fuels to manufacture and then requires a lifetime of burning gasoline? I'm sorry but I just don't agree with your assertions.

Every science / economy / ecology magazine I have read in the past years has statistics about the electricity mix. And remember, I don't live in Norway (I'd love to though, because then the Model S would be affordable and ecologically perfect again).

But putting the inclusion of a parcel shelf and power folding mirrors ahead of the car being electric and much more environmentally friendly clearly shows - again - that you are not the market for this vehicle and should probably go and buy something that gives you the kind of cup holders you want. Because that's why we buy a car, right, to carry our coffees and cover our luggage from prying eyes?

Again, I am not putting those facts AHEAD of the kick ass EV aspect, but how to put it to make myself finally understood? Ok, I am trying to say that it's a big fault if a company, even if the product is a kick ass EV, intentionally (and unnecessarily) makes said product less attractive by nickel and dimeing for items that come standard even on cars that are far inferior to the Model S in every other aspect.

But the Zoe has a scent diffuser! lol

Which is the only thing about the Zoe I don't care the least bit about.

I just priced out my car, with the exact same options as i have to see what price increase is. It went up $8,000! Wow! Glad I bought when I did, or i wouldn't have gotten a Tesla. It was already just at my absolute limit, this would have pushed me over for sure. I imagine there are folks wanting in the club that can't now. I imagine this price increase will eliminate some middle class purchasers, which is too bad. I remember when this was supposed to be a $50,000 car.

That was the time when I got fascinated with the Model S and started advertising it and Tesla to my friends, family and colleagues.
They all were doubtful and told me I was crazy for believing a car with the stats of the Model S could be so cheap. They compared what I told them about the Model S with an Opel Ampera (Chevy Volt for you in the US), which starts at 45K Euro even though it isn't nearly in the same league as a Model S. At that time the 57,490 USD Model S base price equated to a little over 40K Euro (which of course I knew wouldn't be the base price Tesla could and would offer over here, but still).
Now when my friends, family and colleagues ask me about the Model S I have to tell them that it's actually over 70K Euro base price, with the 85er battery and some options it's almost at 100K Euro. And what do they tell me? "We told you so. So much for your fantasy about an affordable EV."
Thank you Tesla for making me look like an idiot to all of those I tried to sell your idea and cars to! All my efforts in the last years did was drive them away from Tesla (which they see as a luxury carmaker for a selected rich crowd and not as a forward thinking company that tries to bring EVs mainstream). I can see where this is going. Like so often, VW (and others) will jump on the bandwagon late (but not too late), and will capture the EV market in the end, possibly before Tesla can even get to making a Gen III. Which would really annoy me, because then all the naysayers would have been right after all.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to do my best to not write the visceral response I had to such rubbish. First of all, even when using in a coal plant for power to charge the MS it is STILL better then an ICE... and not by a little. Secondly, most if not all of Tesla's supercharger stations are run from solar and many people (including myself) install solar charging stations for their vehicles. Major cities across the US are moving to a 20% renewable portfolio by 2020 and 50% by 2040. It's slow, but progress usually is. The maintenance costs on an electric motor is considerably less then that of an ICE so, all in all IF you are in the market for a high end car such as a Maserati Quatroporte, Jaguar XF or similar, this really is a much better car for the money with a much lower cost of ownership IMHO.

No need to go visceral. I didn't write that "rubbish" based on nothing, but from what applies to me here. I am happy for you if circumstances are different in your area.

1) We live very near a coal power plant that is even in the process of being massively extended at the moment, to cater for the "base load" of German power supply. The more electricity is used, the more that power plant is used for base load (as it is one of those that has to compensate for the German nuclear power plants which will all be taken offline in the next few years, quite a few have already been) and the more our air is polluted. So at least for us, currently, more EVs and more electricity used directly means more air pollution in our town.

2) Many people (myself included) have no feasible possibility for using solar power to generate their own electricity. And paying 20K Euro up front for solar panels that would then yield little return doesn't seem like a good idea to lower TCO of an EV, to be honest.

3) Great if US cities are achieving such ambitious goals, here it is quite different. Now that people feel in their pockets how the ongoing switch to renewables is gradually making electricity a luxury item, many are not so keen anymore, even though there used to be a large "green" movement here a while ago. Sadly, reality has set in. And at about 30 Eurocents (that's around 40 US cents) per kWh on average, and still rising sharply, that reality is getting to many people who are normally quite eco-minded. Because wages on the whole here don't rise as sharply as electricity prices (and other costs) - if at all.

4) And don't start the maintenance argument again. That might hold true in the US, but definitely not here in general.

By the way, I am NOT in the market for a 100K Euro car, my absolute limit would have been 75K Euro. Which is more than one and a half times the biggest amount I have ever spent on a car.

Last edited:
TAt that time the 57,490 USD Model S base price equated to a little over 40K Euro (which of course I knew wouldn't be the base price Tesla could and would offer over here, but still).
Now when my friends, family and colleagues ask me about the Model S I have to tell them that it's actually over 70K Euro base price, with the 85er battery and some options it's almost at 100K Euro. And what do they tell me? "We told you so. So much for your fantasy about an affordable EV."
Everybody's a critic, so I'll take my turn...

To my knowledge, Tesla hasn't pitched Model S as an affordable EV. A possible EV (for some customers), yes. An awesome EV, definitely. But affordable is an adjective they've reserved for Gen 3.

So if your friends, family, and colleagues tell you they don't think it's "affordable" you should be telling them that they're talking about the wrong vehicle.

Everybody's a critic, so I'll take my turn...

To my knowledge, Tesla hasn't pitched Model S as an affordable EV. A possible EV (for some customers), yes. An awesome EV, definitely. But affordable is an adjective they've reserved for Gen 3.

So if your friends, family, and colleagues tell you they don't think it's "affordable" you should be telling them that they're talking about the wrong vehicle.

Tesla has always tried to get the Model S come across as affordable. The whole "great EV for less than 50K USD" argument they used for years as well as their current TCO calculator that tries to imply how cheap it is to own a Model S in comparison to an ICE all point in that direction.

Tesla has always tried to get the Model S come across as affordable. The whole "great EV for less than 50K USD" argument they used for years as well as their current TCO calculator that tries to imply how cheap it is to own a Model S in comparison to an ICE all point in that direction.
"Affordable" is not the same as "better value". Tesla has described the S in terms of the latter, not the former.

An example: My (cable) internet is a better value (to me) than a dial-up modem by far. It's definitely not more affordable than dial-up though.*

* Caveat: This example was correct 10 years ago. I'm not sure if it's still true today since they may have killed off all those phone farms that used to answer dial-up requests.

Yes, but "great EV for less than 50K USD" sounds quite like "affordable" (at least in usable EV terms) to me.
By that metric you could say "any non-suck* EV under 7 figures is affordable".

* Sorry, Leaf. Mostly making a point. I appreciate the role that vehicle plays in the history of EVs, but it's not for me.

I guess my point is that Tesla hasn't specifically used that word ("affordable"), so much so that it's conspicuous. Kind of like their attempt to be consistent about "premium" instead of "luxury" is conspicuous.

Yes, but "great EV for less than 50K USD" sounds quite like "affordable" (at least in usable EV terms) to me.

OK so let me see if I understand your point. The Model S is an awesome car that sucks, in your rather troll-like posts. There is no "argument" to be had when it comes to the Electric Motor and maintenance. You're wrong, deal with it. When calculating costs for the car one must count savings in fuel, if available but according to you Germany is going hog wild for coal while raising the price of electricity, lowering your wages and polluting the hell out of your air. Oh, and you aren't going to buy a Model S because for the aforementioned reasons and you cant afford it... to which you seem upset because Tesla fraudulently claimed the car was affordable while conveniently ignoring that this was a VISION for Tesla which is still under way. The "cheap" MS wasn't selling so it was discontinued. That's called market forces at work, not some grand bait and switch conspiracy.

Probably time to start getting politically active in your town. Who knows? Perhaps if you spent half the time engaging your community for change as you do complaining about Tesla you might actually get somewhere.

Secondly, and Im just curious here, do you spend the rest of your time on Lamborghini Forums bitching about gas guzzlers? I mean maybe I'm off here but what is the point? If you want the cheaper car, hang on till 2017. But coming to a Tesla forum complaining about Tesla's, only to ignore the rational counter's to your mis-information seems a futile and frankly aggravating journey. If the car doesn't work for you for whatever reason, don't buy one. The criticism on this thread has left constructive long ago IMHO

Really?

In at least two places on thier main website they are pushing afforability...

Very front page:

"580 after gas savings" (compare that statement to say buying an accord that cost right at $300 month)

from the "true cost of ownership" page:

We also encourage you to think about Model S ownership in terms of true out of pocket cost. When considering the savings from using electricity instead of gasoline, depreciation benefits, and other factors, buyers can save hundreds of dollars per month compared to owning a gasoline powered car.

BTW: the whole fianancing plan was about making the car more *afforable* (see Tesla Tweaks Model S Financing To Make It More Affordable | PluginCars.com )

Thanks Nathan. At least I am not the only one who read it that way.

OK so let me see if I understand your point. The Model S is an awesome car that sucks, in your rather troll-like posts. There is no "argument" to be had when it comes to the Electric Motor and maintenance. You're wrong, deal with it. When calculating costs for the car one must count savings in fuel, if available but according to you Germany is going hog wild for coal while raising the price of electricity, lowering your wages and polluting the hell out of your air. Oh, and you aren't going to buy a Model S because for the aforementioned reasons and you cant afford it... to which you seem upset because Tesla fraudulently claimed the car was affordable while conveniently ignoring that this was a VISION for Tesla which is still under way. The "cheap" MS wasn't selling so it was discontinued. That's called market forces at work, not some grand bait and switch conspiracy.

Probably time to start getting politically active in your town. Who knows? Perhaps if you spent half the time engaging your community for change as you do complaining about Tesla you might actually get somewhere.

Secondly, and Im just curious here, do you spend the rest of your time on Lamborghini Forums bitching about gas guzzlers? I mean maybe I'm off here but what is the point? If you want the cheaper car, hang on till 2017. But coming to a Tesla forum complaining about Tesla's, only to ignore the rational counter's to your mis-information seems a futile and frankly aggravating journey. If the car doesn't work for you for whatever reason, don't buy one. The criticism on this thread has left constructive long ago IMHO

Actually I wondered whether I should even answer your very personal (and quite insulting) post at all. Because your accusations are more than baseless. Plus I don't get what your problem is.

1) Since when did I say the Model S "sucks" - or anything to that end??? I think I made it quite clear in many posts that I think the Model S, especially for the EV aspect, is a great car.

2) The maintenance argument wasn't about the fact that EVs need less of that, I don't contest that. But it was in the light of the cost argument that I made my remark. Fact of the matter is, the Model S requires mandatory yearly service, no car I have ever known or had required that. Anyway, moving on.

3) "Germany is going hog wild for coal while raising the price of electricity, lowering your wages and polluting the hell out of your air"???
As Germany is switching off its nuclear power stations, the big electricity providers are building quite a few new coal power stations (as well as gas) and expanding exisiting ones. That is a fact. If you want to call that "going hog wild", then so be it. The price of electricity is being raised mainly for political reasons, to finance the switch to renewable energy (which will take decades to come) and to make people waste less energy. The fact is so important that it has become one of the big issues in the current election programs, with some parties even demanding free base electricity contingents for people, because they say that people have a right to affordable energy! This is not me whining about the fact (I can pay for our electricity bill without a problem) but a general problem that is developing in this country. Oh and since when did I say anything about lowering wages. What I was trying to say was that for many people they don't rise, at least not as much as inflation does. That is something quite different. And about the air pollution: do you live next to a 40-year old coal power station? If yes then you know what I am talking about. If no, why make such snidey remarks?

4) The "cheap" MS wasn't selling so it was discontinued. ?? Well, it was discountinued before it even hit the general market over here!

5) Getting politically active in my town? Sorry, but you really have no idea of the German political system. Towns have nothing to say in any kind of matter that has any impact on things like transportation, EV benefits or energy, which are all legislated by the national government (which at the moment shows no interest in making EVs an attractive alternative). After that there is the federal states and the counties. To get to that political level where you have any kind of say and impact, you have to be a full time politician. And I already have a fulltime job plus family with two kids. So sorry, but when I come home from work I like to spend as much time with my family as possible, instead of wasting my time in futile attempts to get anywhere in politics. Plus we are active in our neighbourhood community, kindergarten, etc., which I think is far more important.

6) Forums. This is the only forum (car related or otherwise) I am active in at the moment. I used to also be on the Flare.Solareclipse SciFi forum, but in the last few years didn't find the time anymore.
The reason I am active here is because Tesla and their cars fascinate me. But fascination with something doesn't mean you have to be blind to the shortcomings, nor does it mean that critizicing something specific about the Model S can't go hand in hand with liking the rest of the car.

And finally, if you think my posts are "troll-like", perhaps because there sometimes are spelling or grammar mistakes, then I challenge you to converse with me in German, instead of me trying my best to make myself understood in your (to me foreign) language!

Last edited:
Just priced my 5 month old P85, would be 18.000 $ more expensive now, wow ! I think they make a mistake here. The P85 Plus is now at the price of a new Maserati, it will be interesting to see the sales and which model gets bought the most.

I for myself would not chose ANY of the upgrades and rather have it done after market. For 18k I get the the best sound system, two new recaro seats with air ventilation and lots of leather on my doors AND would have something unique.