Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greentech Media | Tesla Coughs Up Sedan Price, Details on Economy Car

For $49,999, you and your family can drive an all-electric sedan off the lot, says Tesla Motors CEO Elon Musk.

Musk, speaking at the Tesla dealership in Menlo Park, California, said that the price of the Model S, the five-seater, four-door all-electric passenger car, will be $57,499. The government, however, will give $7,500 in tax credits to people who buy low-emission electric cars. That makes the price $49,999.

Meanwhile, Tesla is definitely partnering with a third-party company to release a cheaper car. A third-party company "will make available" an all-electric car based on Tesla's technology that will be "comfortably below $30,000," he said. No word on the manufacturer yet, although it is said to be Daimler Benz; nor is there word on a release date.

The Smart EV?

The tax credit puts Model S within reach of more potential owners.

Does anyone know if tax credits are based on some type of "green scale". One would expect the volt to garner less tax credits than a pure EV.

Does anyone know if tax credits are based on some type of "green scale". One would expect the volt to garner less tax credits than a pure EV.

The rebate amount is based on the KWh capacity of the battery pack. The scale is designed so that the Volt will qualify for the maximum rebate of $7500.

So do we think that this price will stick? I mean anything can happen between now and 2011 that causes them to need to raise the price a little (of course, they did say that it would be $60,000 so they did come in under).

I'm happy with this price (even though it could still be more than I could afford, but I hope I could find the money some how). It seems like a fair price and with the government rebates could be even a little easier to afford. Not to mention it would be really nice to not have to rely on gas and the money that will save (when gas prices eventually go back up, which will be inevitable).

-Shark2k

For $49,999, you and your family can drive an all-electric sedan off the lot...

Don't you have to pay up $57,499+tax+license+fees to get it "off the lot", then get a tax credit back later? The above statement makes it sound like you pay $50K and drive away.

With my solar system they let me sign over some of the incentives to the installer, so I didn't have to float the money up front. Does Tesla plan to do that with the 'Model S' (give you your tax rebate as a credit at time of purchase)?

Man I just wanna slap some of those people in the comments section. I'm not gonna say I'm hardcore 100%, I'll kill for Tesla, but I do want to see them succeed. I also think it's important to start getting 100% electric cars that function like your regular ICE car. I think that by having 100% electric cars being produced it will be a bigger advantage to help refine batteries and make them more efficient and safer. It only makes sense because I'm sure a company making electric cars (like Tesla) would be happier releasing a car with a 500 mile range as opposed to a 240 mile range. This will make their car look more attractive to potential buyers and it would be able to compete a lot easier to R-EV.

I didn't feel like posting a comment on that article, but I just wanted to rant :D. I'm looking forward to the prototype of this coming out so we can see what it is actually going to look like.

-Shark2k

Working mule to appear by the end of this year, and production model in Feb. 2009.

Yes, I saw this information in a different post. I thought they had a "working mule" in the Magnum they had roaming around campus. This makes the Model S design seem much less done than previous statements would indicate. Have they changed the Model S, so that the previous mules are invalid or are the posturing on the amount of work still needing to be done to help secure the government loans?

Yes, I saw this information in a different post. I thought they had a "working mule" in the Magnum they had roaming around campus. This makes the Model S design seem much less done than previous statements would indicate. Have they changed the Model S, so that the previous mules are invalid or are the posturing on the amount of work still needing to be done to help secure the government loans?

The wording was "drivable mule". Could reallly mean a lot of different things. First of all we weren't sure how drivable the first mules were. They said the mules and prototype will essentially have the same drivetrain, so maybe it just means the Magnum mules may not have the final intent drivetrain.

If the tax rebate is linked to battery capacity, then is the number quoted the rebate that is applicable to the base model of Model S? If you opted for the 300 mile range version, would you get more than $7500 back?

Also, someone mentioned elsewhere that the rebate was being driven by GM for the Volt, and that was the source of the $7500. If so, would Teslas not get more?

Voltcustom rebate

If the tax rebate is linked to battery capacity, then is the number quoted the rebate that is applicable to the base model of Model S? If you opted for the 300 mile range version, would you get more than $7500 back?

Also, someone mentioned elsewhere that the rebate was being driven by GM for the Volt, and that was the source of the $7500. If so, would Teslas not get more?

No because the rebate is max $7500 and hence only linked to battery capacity for batteries smaller than the Volt´s.

From this other thread:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/off-topic/1709-ev-tax-credits.html
The credit is a base $2,500 plus $417 for each
kWh of battery pack capacity in excess of 4 kWh,
to a maximum of $7,500 for light-duty vehicles;
$10,000 for vehicles with gross vehicle weights
of more than 10,000 but less than 14,000 pounds;
$12,500 for vehicles with a GVW of more than
14,000 but less than 26,000 pounds; and $15,000
for any vehicle with a GVW of more than 26,000 pounds.

Phaseout of the credit is to begin after the
total number of qualified PHEVs in the US sold
after 31 December 2008 is at least 250,000.

Qualifying vehicles must have a battery pack with
at least 4 kWh of capacity—a provision that will
preclude the inclusion of the first generation of
Toyota PHEVs as well, potentially, as other lower all-electric range
plug-ins.

So the credit is between $2500-$7500 for non-trucks. And I am sure anything Tesla puts out ever will have greater battery capacity than the Volt.