Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S production process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla doesn't have a motor production facility in Taiwan. Its all in California.

They moved it??? :scared:

Could you disclose your sources of information?

Tesla Motors codeveloped motor with Fukuta Motors for the Roadster. And production factory was also in Taiwan, there were pictures of it floating around. Here quote from Fukuta web site:

We cooperate with Tesla to develop the first electric Roadster in the world.

http://www.fukuta-motor.com.tw/eng_company.asp

Moreover Fukuta made a press release that they started motor production for Model S.

The massive production of Model S for Tesla and expect to launch 4th quarter in 2011
.Establishment new plant for EV products and expect to produce the products in the third quarter in 2012

http://www.fukuta-motor.com.tw/eng_company.asp?id=201108190001

Do you know, have Tesla moved Thailand plant also (do not remember of hand, was it PEM or battery pack)?

- - - Updated - - -

That's not viewable in Canada, so here's a version that is:
2011 X3 XDrive35 Factory Video - YouTube

If you are referring to the video I have posted, it is 45 minute long professionally made plant overview from National Geographic. Not 3 minute short clip.

A lot more covered in it.

I believe they moved the electric motor production back to California (Palo Alto I think) quite some time ago - before they finished building Roadsters.

How come Fukuta keeps reporting that they open new "massive production" of Model S motors in China then? And how come Fukuta talking about Model S if they only produced motors for Roadsters?

Again, as I have said, could you please reveal sources of your information?

I do not think so.
It is, I read it myself, but it's been a while. The wording basically said that they moved the motor production to Palo Alto and closed the Taiwan facility. This was for roadster motor production. If you do a search, you can find pics of the motor/battery facility in Palo Alto which has roadster rotors and cases in he background.

I think that the roadster motors with the copper colored motor shroud were produced in Taiwan, and when Tesla switched motor production to the US, they also redesigned the shroud to the silver/black rubber style. If I remember right, this happened somewhere after the first 300-400 roadsters were built

It is, I read it myself, but it's been a while. The wording basically said that they moved the motor production to Palo Alto and closed the Taiwan facility. This was for roadster motor production. If you do a search, you can find pics of the motor/battery facility in Palo Alto which has roadster rotors and cases in he background.

I think that the roadster motors with the copper colored motor shroud were produced in Taiwan, and when Tesla switched motor production to the US, they also redesigned the shroud to the silver/black rubber style. If I remember right, this happened somewhere after the first 300-400 roadsters were built

Yes, I heard that when Elon took CEO position he has moved some production from Asia to California. Was not sure what was that.

But it do looks like they moved production back to Taiwan, or never closed Taiwan factory completely. Here is some quotes:

GoogleTranslate said:
In fact, the motor of the Model S and Roadster, the mainstay of current Teslas company has received from the company supply FUKUTA.
kumikomi.net said:
実際,現在のTeslas社の主力であるRoadsterとModel SのモータはFUKUTA社から供給を受けている
http://www.kumikomi.net/archives/2012/05/rp17evtw.php

GoogleTranslate said:
The drive motor of the Model S production by the Tomita motor (FUKUTA Elec. & Mach.)
gg-lb.com said:
Model S的驱动马达是由台湾富田电机(FUKUTA Elec. & Mach.)生产的。
http://www.gg-lb.com/asdisp2-65b095fb-6725-.html

Plus Fukuta themselves claim involvement in Model S motor production on their website. And similar claims made about RAV4 EV...

On the other hand I could find claims that TM produce motors in Fremont... Anyone saw that during factory tour? Or might be someone would be willing to ask tour guide directly in future tours?

Last edited:
On the other hand I could find claims that TM produce motors in Fremont... Anyone saw that during factory tour? Or might be someone would be willing to ask tour guide directly in future tours?
The motors are built in a seperate facility, not in Fremont. There are also no tours, and very little information about the process, pics etc.

After researching the matter, it do looks like that there are factories in Taiwan that produce key motor components for Model S.
TM might have moved motor assembly. But my original statement still stands true.

But they also would need to invest in supply chain. The things like motor production factory in Taiwan,

Plus I'm not totally convinced that even that is the case as of now. Too many references of Tesla Model S Taiwan motor involvement in Taiwanese and worldwide press.

After researching the matter, it do looks like that there are factories in Taiwan that produce key motor components for Model S.
TM might have moved motor assembly. But my original statement still stands true.

Plus I'm not totally convinced that even that is the case as of now. Too many references of Tesla Model S Taiwan motor involvement in Taiwanese and worldwide press.
You could be right, but they are not Tesla owned facilities. Another thing that might be happening is; the metal blanks for motor parts might be shipped from Taiwan to then be machined and assembled in Palo Alto. Nobody but insiders really know.

You could be right, but they are not Tesla owned facilities.
Not wholly owned. But still TM had to invest into thing like specialized tooling for those factories. Or their expansion to ramp up production. Etc.

Quote from Q3 report:

As a result of investments we continued to make in the Tesla Factory and supplier tooling for Model S production, capital expenditures increased to $61.3 million for the three months ended June 30, 2012, compared to $54.3 million for the three months ended June 30, 2011.

This would be totally standard for the high tech industry. We had metal casting and plastic moulding tooling made for us in Taiwan and China, shipped to a different contractor in China/Taiwan where the parts were made, then they shipped to our US plant where we assembled the final product. No difference really than any other modern supply chain.

I don't get the OP's point; so some parts and assembly are done in Taiwan for the motor; the battery cells are made in Japan but the final assembly, testing and integration of these components into sub-assembly as well as final product is done in Fremont.

Not wholly owned. But still TM had to invest into thing like specialized tooling for those factories. Or their expansion to ramp up production. Etc.

Quote from Q3 report:

As a result of investments we continued to make in the Tesla Factory and supplier tooling for Model S production, capital expenditures increased to $61.3 million for the three months ended June 30, 2012, compared to $54.3 million for the three months ended June 30, 2011.

so some parts and assembly are done in Taiwan for the motor; the battery cells are made in Japan but the final assembly, testing and integration of these components into sub-assembly as well as final product is done in Fremont.
Yeah, that is totally cool. With Musk favoring vertical integration, eventually key components like motors, PEM, battery packs would be produced directly by Tesla. That is a matter of time and scale. Scale of hundreds thousands of cars per year would justify a lot of such integrations. And time is needed to get to that scale.

I could even see TM producing their own li-ion cells, but that would be really far in the future.

So far progress with Model S production is a huge leap forward in terms of vertical integration, in comparison with Roadster. Roadster glider, basically body plus interior/exterior assembly were bought from supplier, Lotus. And now Tesla produce glider.

I don't get the OP's point;
Not sure what you are referring as OP, but my reply, someone asked if scaling up is a matter of hiring more ppl in Fremont and adding some machinery there... I just pointed out that there is a huge supply chain that would also require investments. And it is in fact a global supply chain.

They might not even want anyone except insiders to know.
Agreed.