Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Prototype

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seeing a car that'll be at least twice-removed from the final version :(

I still think this is all unwise.

Perhaps, but most people have never heard of Tesla and/or the Model S, so to see something that's 90%+ like the final production version and gets more name recognition for Tesla among the demographic that they're trying to attract I think is a good thing. Only car junkies will notice the minor differences, and they/we are already well aware of Tesla and the Model S. This is trying to draw attention to people who don't know the first thing about Tesla.

Perhaps, but most people have never heard of Tesla and/or the Model S, so to see something that's 90%+ like the final production version and gets more name recognition for Tesla among the demographic that they're trying to attract I think is a good thing. Only car junkies will notice the minor differences, and they/we are already well aware of Tesla and the Model S. This is trying to draw attention to people who don't know the first thing about Tesla.

Fair enough, you make a good point

Yes, indeed. Some of my fellow supposedly "in-the-know" techies here in Silicon Valley still seem to think that Tesla's upcoming successor to their Roadster (that they do know about) is going to be more like a golf cart! I've had to show them the proto's pics and give them several reference points (such as its size that's comparable to a BMW 5-series and so on) to convince them. So, yeah, seeing is believing for many folks!

Yes, indeed. Some of my fellow supposedly "in-the-know" techies here in Silicon Valley still seem to think that Tesla's upcoming successor to their Roadster (that they do know about) is going to be more like a golf cart! I've had to show them the proto's pics and give them several reference points (such as its size that's comparable to a BMW 5-series and so on) to convince them. So, yeah, seeing is believing for many folks!

Agree completely on that - we were at the event in Princeton last Saturday and two things struck me above and beyond the beauty of the prototype and all the "inside TMC" stuff on this thread:
  • For most of the attendees, these were the first electric vehicles they had ever seen up close. Some were Prius owners, none I spoke to were EV owners unless you include Roadsters, and I think I only met one other Roadster owner. Bear in mind this was not the owner preview but the mass market paperback version of the event.
  • The event was 50% Model S preview and 50% Roadster ride & drive (& sales). There were two demo cars there and they were getting pretty heavy use for test drives. I saw a lot of Tesla Grins on people getting out of them! I parked ours right next to the two demo cars because it looked cool but sort of regretted it when people started to crowbar the doors because they thought they were stuck (really, it was just locked). Having said that, it was great to be able to share my love of this car with some interested potential owners face-to-face.
I also gave a few test rides (not test drives) to strangers while I was hanging out there, as it wasn't very busy but the setting was beautiful for driving around. After the event I went to visit a few friends in the area, let them drive the car a bit, and (as a result of their heavy feet) had to go back for a charge. I had the treat of seeing the proto-S driving around the parking lot a little bit while they were maneuvering it for charge on site. It was nice to see it actually driving a bit on electric power. They only plugged it into a 110. Then we had a ten minute mini Roadster Rally as I drove with the demo cars to a generous owner's house to charge from his HPC and his NEMA 14-50 (in parallel). Took a few pictures, nothing exactly ground-breaking but I'll try to edit a few of them into this post a bit later.

The prototype will be coming to the Sarasota Yacht Club on August 20-21st. It's right around the corner from my house; PM me if anyone needs to find a charging station (I have a NEMA 14-50 socket if anyone needs it).

Sarasota City offers 4 free L2 charging stations at the municipal multi-story car park on Palm Avenue - They are ClipperCreek J1772 points powered by a rooftop PV array. You will need your Tesla adapter there.

Just got this from an email from my mom who is in Las Vegas now... Kind of amusing! Wish I could get a chance to see it....

"Oh, I forgot to tell you an interesting thing I saw. Just as we were getting ready to leave the Circus Circus RV park for good, a covered trailer that said TESLA on the side pulled by a Town & Country or something with Calif. license plates pulled into the site right beside our motor home. The man then opened the side and back doors of the trailer. I saw an amazing black car inside and asked about it. He said it is the "Next Generation" Tesla that will be available to the public next year. He said he brought it to test drive in downtown Las Vegas because of all the stop and go driving here. I said it was very beautiful and said I hoped he wouldn't get any dents in it!!! (I told you how scary the traffic is here. I'm getting used to it though. One just has to sprout eyes in all sides of the head and drive defensively.)"

This is picture from the invite for the test drive event.
The front looks different.
bottom3.jpg

The more I look at it, the more I think that fog light vent is Photoshopped...

Fake.

No dirt, scratches or reflections. Dull surface. All that of course could be done in "cleanup" on a white cyc photo shoot car but there is a certain lack of weight in the suspension, or tires.

Also missing things that make a car real world like a valve stem, window joint paint, grill surface warping/reflections and Todd's observation.

A good look at the wheel is the best tell.

Nice lighting though.