TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S purchase Model 3 cancel?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Chopr147, Sep 28, 2016.

Tags:
?

Ordered Model S/ Did you cancel Model 3

1. Keeping Model 3 reservation

38 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. Cancelled Model 3 reservation

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Can't wait to have a second EV!

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Model S 60kwh option has changed the Model 3 plans of many, including me.

I have read many times on this forum people who decided not to wait for the Model 3 and purchased an S. Most have kept the Model 3 reservation and fully plan on buying the 3. Some may have leased and will switch to the model 3 when the time comes. So I was wondering if anyone cancelled and will stick with their S. I did the same and have kept my Model 3 reservation with the intent of using it. ;)

2. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

I canceled mine. Model 3 is not really the car for me. It is not a hatch and judging from the pricing I will probably be paying well over 50K to get the extended model. So I got a model S instead and am enjoying EV driving now.

Also I know the model 3 build quality will probably be spotty until the 2nd batches where they make all the fixes. So I rather hold on to my money and wait and see what tesla have to offer.

3. Xenius

Xenius Member

Got a model S, but kept the 3 reservation. My hope is for the wife to take that when the time comes.

• Like x 1
  4. alexvirital

alexvirital Member

Cancelled my 3. My girlfriend is happy with her car at the moment, and I don't need both - plus, hey, upgraded the trim with the extra grand.

• Like x 1
  5. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

I leased an S just to move my M3 position up.

jk

I am getting one of the super-sale S cars as an interim. However, given that it has every option, I'm already getting the suspicion that I will get attached to it and the 3 will be an addition rather than a replacement. I'm sure Tesla never considered this.

6. farzyness

farzyness Food lover. Entrepreneur. Did I say food lover?

I got a super-good deal on a 75D, but am keeping the 3 res. I figure in case I do want to order one when the time comes that I don't lose my spot. A fully refundable $1k deposit to be well ahead of the line is worth it to me for this reason.

7. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

I want to hear someone say the words "I no longer want to drive my Model S" with a straight face :)

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 2
  8. Rambler21

Rambler21 Member

I cancelled my Model 3 and got a MS 60D. Should be here this Friday.

• Like x 2
  9. No ICE

No ICE 2016 S75D pearl AP1, & 2014 silver S85 AP1

Ordered a S75D, and I am keeping my model 3 res. I will need another car in a few years for my wife when we pass our ice vehicle on to a new teenage driver at that time. I think model 3 sales will not take place before Jan 2018? Just my guess? In the present time, I now will absolutly receive my 7500 tax credit in 2016 and now be bumped up on the model 3 reservation list as a current tesla owner, ( instead of somewhere in the 370,000 mark) so hopefully I will also receive another 7500 tax credit with that future purchase? We'll see?!?

• Like x 1
  10. Max*

Max* Charging

Have a Model S for over a year now, and have a Model 3 reservation for the wife. We don't need 2 "big" cars, and I want to see what the 3 has to offer.

11. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

Have two Model 3 reservations but succumbed to temptation and pulled the trigger on a 2 year lease on a demo Model S P90DL (pre-refresh).

Planning to buy a Model 3 in early 2018 (hopefully) and go all electric, and then turn in the Model S at the end of the lease for a second Model 3 or possibly try to extend the lease a bit until the Model Y is available.

Really loving the S -- so much fun to drive. Glad I couldn't resist!

• Like x 2
  12. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

Kept the 3 reservation. We did not see a reason to cancel. It will be interesting to see if Tesla can pull it off (actually delivering the 3).

13. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

If one can pass a polygraph while lying they should be able to pass your test, but they'll be lying!:rolleyes:

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. ssrajputev

ssrajputev Member

I had two Model 3 reservations (waited in line on the morning of 03/31 in Fremont). I just got my S60. I canceled one reservation, but kept the other. My parents will need one or a Chevy Bolt. I might even give them my S60, if the Model 3 is fully autonomous by the time it comes out and get one instead.

15. Alketi

Alketi Member

My friend leased a 60D and is keeping his M3 reservation as the 2-year-lease should hopefully run out about when his 3 is ready.

16. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

I am going to buy a CPO Model S in a few months, but for now, I am keeping my 3 reservation. I figure I will wait out Reveal 2 and see what the actual options on the 3 end up looking like. I am not a huge fan of the current interior, so that is my biggest worry. By then I will have been driving the S for a few months and will better be able to decide if I would rather keep the S longer (the likely scenario) and just get a 3 after a couple years of production have ramped up and bugs have been worked out.

17. jlutzwpi

jlutzwpi Member

I did the same, for pretty much all the reasons that you mentioned....

18. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

19. abasile

abasile Conscientious investor

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1900m)
    Just bought a pre-owned Model S and really enjoying it. But we're keeping our Model 3 reservation. It may replace our family's only ICE car, a Prius. Whatever we decide to do, I fully expect that our next car purchase will be a Tesla!

• Like x 1
  20. ICETOO

ICETOO Member

According to a recent article by Electrek:

"A third of Tesla's Model S orders are coming from Model 3 reservation holders..."

Interesting to see if this trend continues.