TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S purchase Model 3 cancel?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Chopr147, Sep 28, 2016.

?

Ordered Model S/ Did you cancel Model 3

1. Keeping Model 3 reservation

38 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. Cancelled Model 3 reservation

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  3. Can't wait to have a second EV!

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  1. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Model S 60kwh option has changed the Model 3 plans of many, including me.

I have read many times on this forum people who decided not to wait for the Model 3 and purchased an S. Most have kept the Model 3 reservation and fully plan on buying the 3. Some may have leased and will switch to the model 3 when the time comes. So I was wondering if anyone cancelled and will stick with their S. I did the same and have kept my Model 3 reservation with the intent of using it. ;)

2. No2DinosaurFuel

I canceled mine. Model 3 is not really the car for me. It is not a hatch and judging from the pricing I will probably be paying well over 50K to get the extended model. So I got a model S instead and am enjoying EV driving now.

Also I know the model 3 build quality will probably be spotty until the 2nd batches where they make all the fixes. So I rather hold on to my money and wait and see what tesla have to offer.

3. Xenius

Xenius Member

Got a model S, but kept the 3 reservation. My hope is for the wife to take that when the time comes.

• Like x 1
  4. alexvirital

alexvirital Member

Cancelled my 3. My girlfriend is happy with her car at the moment, and I don't need both - plus, hey, upgraded the trim with the extra grand.

• Like x 1
  5. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

I leased an S just to move my M3 position up.

jk

I am getting one of the super-sale S cars as an interim. However, given that it has every option, I'm already getting the suspicion that I will get attached to it and the 3 will be an addition rather than a replacement. I'm sure Tesla never considered this.

6. farzyness

farzyness Food lover. Entrepreneur. Did I say food lover?

I got a super-good deal on a 75D, but am keeping the 3 res. I figure in case I do want to order one when the time comes that I don't lose my spot. A fully refundable $1k deposit to be well ahead of the line is worth it to me for this reason.

7. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

I want to hear someone say the words "I no longer want to drive my Model S" with a straight face :)

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 2
  8. Rambler21

Rambler21 Member

I cancelled my Model 3 and got a MS 60D. Should be here this Friday.

• Like x 2
  9. No ICE

No ICE Member

Ordered a S75D, and I am keeping my model 3 res. I will need another car in a few years for my wife when we pass our ice vehicle on to a new teenage driver at that time. I think model 3 sales will not take place before Jan 2018? Just my guess? In the present time, I now will absolutly receive my 7500 tax credit in 2016 and now be bumped up on the model 3 reservation list as a current tesla owner, ( instead of somewhere in the 370,000 mark) so hopefully I will also receive another 7500 tax credit with that future purchase? We'll see?!?

• Like x 1
  10. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

Have a Model S for over a year now, and have a Model 3 reservation for the wife. We don't need 2 "big" cars, and I want to see what the 3 has to offer.

11. EinSV

EinSV Member

Have two Model 3 reservations but succumbed to temptation and pulled the trigger on a 2 year lease on a demo Model S P90DL (pre-refresh).

Planning to buy a Model 3 in early 2018 (hopefully) and go all electric, and then turn in the Model S at the end of the lease for a second Model 3 or possibly try to extend the lease a bit until the Model Y is available.

Really loving the S -- so much fun to drive. Glad I couldn't resist!

• Like x 2
  12. davidc18

davidc18 Member

Kept the 3 reservation. We did not see a reason to cancel. It will be interesting to see if Tesla can pull it off (actually delivering the 3).

13. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    If one can pass a polygraph while lying they should be able to pass your test, but they'll be lying!:rolleyes:

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. ssrajputev

ssrajputev Member

I had two Model 3 reservations (waited in line on the morning of 03/31 in Fremont). I just got my S60. I canceled one reservation, but kept the other. My parents will need one or a Chevy Bolt. I might even give them my S60, if the Model 3 is fully autonomous by the time it comes out and get one instead.

15. Alketi

Alketi Member

My friend leased a 60D and is keeping his M3 reservation as the 2-year-lease should hopefully run out about when his 3 is ready.

16. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

I am going to buy a CPO Model S in a few months, but for now, I am keeping my 3 reservation. I figure I will wait out Reveal 2 and see what the actual options on the 3 end up looking like. I am not a huge fan of the current interior, so that is my biggest worry. By then I will have been driving the S for a few months and will better be able to decide if I would rather keep the S longer (the likely scenario) and just get a 3 after a couple years of production have ramped up and bugs have been worked out.

17. jlutzwpi

jlutzwpi Member

I did the same, for pretty much all the reasons that you mentioned....

18. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

19. abasile

abasile Independent Software Eng.

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1800m)
    Just bought a pre-owned Model S and really enjoying it. But we're keeping our Model 3 reservation. It may replace our family's only ICE car, a Prius. Whatever we decide to do, I fully expect that our next car purchase will be a Tesla!

• Like x 1
  20. ICETOO

ICETOO Member

According to a recent article by Electrek:

"A third of Tesla's Model S orders are coming from Model 3 reservation holders..."

Interesting to see if this trend continues.