Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S purchase Model 3 cancel?

Ordered Model S/ Did you cancel Model 3

• Keeping Model 3 reservation

Votes: 38 67.9%
  • Cancelled Model 3 reservation

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Can't wait to have a second EV!

Votes: 9 16.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to hear someone say the words "I no longer want to drive my Model S" with a straight face :)

Actually, I'm pretty sure I saw someone pretty much say that (and mean it) in a thread here somewhere in the last couple days (or maybe the X Owner's group on FB?)

In any case, it was someone who owned an X and an S who meant that they really preferred driving the X over the S.

Probably keeping my Model 3 reservation. I'll be moving from my ludicrous-deal P90DL 24mo lease directly to a well-optioned 3. (which will probably pale in comparison, but I'll enjoy the P90DL while I can). I don't have any urgent need for the $1k, so I'll make a final decision later.

Model S 60kwh option has changed the Model 3 plans of many, including me.

I have read many times on this forum people who decided not to wait for the Model 3 and purchased an S. Most have kept the Model 3 reservation and fully plan on buying the 3. Some may have leased and will switch to the model 3 when the time comes. So I was wondering if anyone cancelled and will stick with their S. I did the same and have kept my Model 3 reservation with the intent of using it. ;)

I had a Model 3 reservation for my spouse. I cancelled it when I immediately had problems with my Model S. I have a genuine and reasonable concern regarding the safety of the first Model 3s. I am confident there will be a number of problems and I don't want my spouse experimented on.

Keeping both of my reservations. One is for my father in law and the other I'm actually not sure what to do with. Just wanted to hold a place in line to see what the Model 3 has to offer. May go for a P75DL or whatever the big battery performance version is at that time. The smaller car will be easier to park and will definitely have different driving dynamics.

When I ordered the Model 3 I had full intention of waiting for it. For a variety of reasons, not the least of which is my reading this forum every day, I've come to realize I simply cannot wait another year+ to start driving a Tesla. As a result, I'm scheduled to test drive a Model S this weekend and will likely pull the trigger on a S60 or 75 shortly after. That said, I will keep the Model 3 res and purchase same when my number is called.

Reactions: esk8mw
When I ordered the Model 3 I had full intention of waiting for it. For a variety of reasons, not the least of which is my reading this forum every day, I've come to realize I simply cannot wait another year+ to start driving a Tesla. As a result, I'm scheduled to test drive a Model S this weekend and will likely pull the trigger on a S60 or 75 shortly after. That said, I will keep the Model 3 res and purchase same when my number is called.

Prediction: Once you test drive the Model S you WILL want one asap. I had no intention of buying a new car for another year and Tesla was vaguely on my radar. I randomly stopped into a Tesla Gallery at my local mall and went for a test drive. After one press of the go pedal I was hooked and could not stop thinking about it. Pulled the trigger not too long afterwards :)

Prediction: Once you test drive the Model S you WILL want one asap. I had no intention of buying a new car for another year and Tesla was vaguely on my radar. I randomly stopped into a Tesla Gallery at my local mall and went for a test drive. After one press of the go pedal I was hooked and could not stop thinking about it. Pulled the trigger not too long afterwards :)

Electric cars will do that to you - Teslas even more than most, but even on the Volt forums we had to tell people to make sure they had the finances sorted out before they took a test drive.

Reactions: Az_Rael
I leased an S just to move my M3 position up.

jk

I am getting one of the super-sale S cars as an interim. However, given that it has every option, I'm already getting the suspicion that I will get attached to it and the 3 will be an addition rather than a replacement. I'm sure Tesla never considered this.
Bought a CPO P85+ early June that had the side benefit of moving me up in the queue. Now the m3 will replace my wife's Ford Focus EV and frankly be closer to the $35K base than if I were to order it. Loving the S and don't see myself parting with it any time soon...

Electric cars will do that to you - Teslas even more than most, but even on the Volt forums we had to tell people to make sure they had the finances sorted out before they took a test drive.

I do think it's the EV experience that does this. I was amazed when I drove my Volt on the test drive. Traded in my Lexus for it. I did test drive a Model S last weekend, and found it to be a very nice luxury EV, but it didn't garner that initial amazement that I got driving EV for the first time.

I did a test drive of the S but figured I would still be waiting for the Model 3 prior to ordering. Man, I was so wrong! I ordered less than a week after the test drive but knew immediately I was getting an S. Just had to soften up the wife a little. :)
The 60 kwh pricing has brought in so many more Tesla owners, a great thing. I suspect Tesla themselves are surprised at the volume. They "may" even announce a profit this quarter next week. :)

Reactions: EinSV
The 60 or 60d is a sweet deal. Same performance as the 75, and the faster supercharging to full makes up for kwh difference when on a road trip. Daily driving the 60 is more than enough anyway. The S is very reliable now, and the facelift upgrades have it at near perfect refinement. X will take another 1-2 years before its at that level. Love the front visibility and headroom though.