Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are having test drives for the Roadster near me this weekend and I will probably pop by to talk to the rep about the Model S and perhaps take a test drive in the Roadster. Does anyone have any questions that they would like answered either about the Roadster or the Model S while I am there ....

They are having test drives for the Roadster near me this weekend and I will probably pop by to talk to the rep about the Model S and perhaps take a test drive in the Roadster. Does anyone have any questions that they would like answered either about the Roadster or the Model S while I am there ....
Kevin,

Thanks for the offer. One question I have about both the Roadster and the Model S is how they deal with flooding. I live in Miami, and during the summer months we get afternoon deluges of rain, which often lead to parking lots and streets with lots of standing water for several hours. Most cars are able to drive through without a problem, but I worry about an all-electric vehicle very close to the ground (and especially the Model S because everything's apparently going to be beneath the floor of the car) getting shorted out somehow and really getting stuck.

Clearly I'm not a technical wiz, and I appreciate any info you can get from the Tesla folks on this issue. Thanks again.

One question I have about both the Roadster and the Model S is how they deal with flooding. I live in Miami, and during the summer months we get afternoon deluges of rain, which often lead to parking lots and streets with lots of standing water for several hours.

I do empirically not know how any of the Tesla cars perform in standing water. I do know that there are moisture sensors in the ESS which disconnect it in the presence of water:

Tesla Motors - Engineering
There are sensors inside the ESS that sniff for smoke, check for the existence of water immersions (if the car were driven into a lake, for example), and continually monitor the pack to ensure that it is thermally stable. Each cell is independently fused, not once, but twice. And the pack has been designed to passively contain any single cell entering thermal runaway (e.g. start burning) without propagating further.

So, from a safety point of view, they have sensors all over it to disconnect the battery in the case of water getting into the ESS. That is nice, but I don't know how easily that can happen when driving through standing water. I assume there are some moisture barriers that have to be overcome before the water would get to the point where it shut down the car.

Looking at the Roadster owners manual it says:
Do not drive through flooded areas, water of
unknown depth, or deep puddles. When
driving through even a relatively shallow
puddle, drive slowly to prevent water from
entering the vehicle.

They are quite vague about how deep "deep" is. I am not sure this warning is any different than the same warning you would read in any regular ICE cars owners manual. It is difficult to say whether the Tesla's batteries make it more or less capable of driving around when there is a lot of standing water.

I do empirically not know how any of the Tesla cars perform in standing water. I do know that there are moisture sensors in the ESS which disconnect it in the presence of water:

Tesla Motors - Engineering

So, from a safety point of view, they have sensors all over it to disconnect the battery in the case of water getting into the ESS. That is nice, but I don't know how easily that can happen when driving through standing water. I assume there are some moisture barriers that have to be overcome before the water would get to the point where it shut down the car.
Thanks for the info, but I assume if the battery disconnects then you're stuck and ultimately need a tow, or to wait for the water to recede, before being able to restart the car. I would think/hope that you should be able to go through a certain amount (or level) of water without the battery disconnecting so that the cars are drivable in a big rainstorm.

In any case, they'll need to have a good answer for this when they open the Miami store because it will be an issue for everyone down here.

Does anyone have any questions that they would like answered either about the Roadster or the Model S while I am there ....

I have a question, but not necessarily for Kevin in VA: I know of only two "proto" prototypes. Does anyone know if Tesla has any other prototypes coming along? Are they making one with an Aluminum frame? Will there be another more up to date prototype running around the different stores, and if so, when? Does anybody know what/when the next step will be? WE NEED MORE GOSSIP!!
Rob

Apparently there are some "drive-train mules" out there with prototype Model S drive-trains racking up test miles, but I don't think those will be intentionally identified to the public at large. Some of us have probably seen one and not even realized it.

----

As far as I know the Silver prototype is the best Model S example right now and what will be on tour in the near term.

The biggest questions I have probably can't be answered yet. They have to do with charging standards, quick swap capability, and prices of options (such as the 300 mile pack).

It seems like we got enough preliminary details as it is. I am content to wait and see the news as they get things sorted out.

Hopefully Tesla does a blog on plans for J1772, Better Place, and the e-Mobility chargers once all the dust settles.

I would be surprised if they make any new prototypes, or spend any significant cash on the Model S project in the near term before receiving the loans. Tesla does not have a lot of cash, and the Roadster business is not yet self-sufficient. When that project gets funding, then they can do expensive things like more prototypes.

I would be surprised if they make any new prototypes, or spend any significant cash on the Model S project in the near term before receiving the loans. Tesla does not have a lot of cash, and the Roadster business is not yet self-sufficient. When that project gets funding, then they can do expensive things like more prototypes.

Not so sure. You have to spend money to make money. They have talked about a Model S in every showroom. I could see at least one on each coast and in Europe. That does not include a traveling road show Model S paired with a Roadster and then there is he first one we have seen that the engineers tear apart daily.