TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model S Randomly Moving

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Carspotter Daily, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Carspotter Daily

Carspotter Daily Tesla > ICE

Today, as i finished parking on a slight incline (Car facing downward, very slight incline), the car started to move forward at the Summon speed of 2 km/h indicated on the dash, however, the car was in park and no sliding occurred.
    This same thing happened four times as i attempted to park the car. After the fourth attempt, i had successfully parked without issue (or so i thought).

I proceeded to spend the day at work and come out to find my Model S 3 meters away from where i had parked it!

This is extremely irregular because
    1. The car showed itself as being in Park with the parking brake on
    2. The car moved about two meters then hit the brakes harshly while i was in it (Similar to Summon behaviour)
    3. Summon was enabled in the car, however no smartphones that could control Summon were close enough to operate the car.
    There are no other factors that would have come into play so far as i can think..

2. Hrhkee

Hrhkee Doing research. Brb

What the #@$%. What is Tesla saying about that?

3. Visscher

Visscher Member

Simple. Park it with the front bumper against a wall or lightpole or something. Another car. Can't go anywhere.

Maybe Tesla will sell aftermarket brick kits you can pull out of the trunk and pile in front!

• Disagree x 1
  4. Hrhkee

Are you serious? No one wants anything touching their baby...ok pranks up.

5. whitex

whitex Active Member

Take a video next time this happens. Always helpful to see what's on the dash, etc.

6. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Supporting Member

You don't have to be near the car to control it with a smart phone. You can do it from across the country if you wanted to. Are you SURE no one else was messing with you? Do you have it set to allow Summon with the key fob?

7. steve841

steve841 Active Member

At least change your password on "my tesla"

8. Hrhkee

Good advice...

I thought this was fake news or a prank. Tesla Motors should panic if their cars move while in park or without anyone controlling them with fob or app. This would be almost as bad as steering or brakes not working while driving.

9. Shateam

Shateam Member

Are you sure it wasn't this?

Butt Summon

'Butt summon' has to be the funniest thread on the forum...

• Funny x 1
  10. Carspotter Daily

Will do, thanks

I've tried Summon with the fob before and assumed it wouldn't work because of federal or provincial laws though summon is enabled in the car, and the car didn't make the usual summon sounds when starting or stopping. I've tried to use summon whine about five meters away and the app said I needed to be closer to the vehicle.. Maybe it's different in other countries? (I live in Ontario)

11. Hrhkee

Butt summon. What an exciting time to be alive.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  12. beefnog

beefnog Member

I believe that there's a simple test for this. Point your wheels into the curb like we were taught in driver's ed, but a small distance away from the curb. If you return to find the car with the wheels pointed at the curb, but touching, then the parking brake might be out of spec. If the wheels are pointed ahead, and the car has moved, then something is probably triggering a summon event.

• Like x 3
  13. Hrhkee

Great advice beefnog. Name is funny as heck. Anyway...I am chiming in to support the earlier suggestion for 2 factor authentication for any over the air control of the car.

I'm so paranoid about access control that I was planning never to allow over the wire access to the car unless I want to allow it. By default it is my car and I want to control access to it. If it were to cause damage for any reason to anyone, who would be responsible? TESLA or the owner?

Anyone else agree?

14. NullException

NullException Member

Is that true in Canada? In the UK, I have to be right next to the car, with my keyfob, for summon to work from the app.

15. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Supporting Member

i have used Summon using the phone app when i was too far away for the fob to do it. i assume there is no distance limit (maybe a wrong assumption), at least for US cars

16. Carspotter Daily

Update -

The car has been fine today - it was so bizarre and I should have taken video but was in such disbelief it was happening. Not a major event but it would move a couple of metres and then apply brakes, still don't believe it today. I'm thinking a visit to Tesla service just to be sure.

17. zambono

zambono Member

I have done summon from 4 houses away using the app.

18. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

Butt summon maybe. Like butt dialing.

19. Carspotter Daily

This would be the first suspect, but none of my devices capable of controlling Summon were near the car and in Canada at least, i have to be standing beside the car for Summon to work. Also i cannot Summon through the fob either.

20. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Did you double tap the park icon, that enables summon once you exit the car?